Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bridcutt Close to Signing for Sunderland? (Sky Sports News)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I see what you are saying, but because Gus's agent is also Bridcutt's, he would have been put between a rock and a hard place.

As far as I know he seems happy here, but he may have said to his agent when he was asked about joining Sunderland, that he doesn't mind moving. I would imagine that Bridcutt is under a lot of pressure from the people that want to control his career.

Do you think that staying here would make him miserable or do you think there is a chance he may go phew tfft?

I imagine the transfer request comes in if BHA don't agree to the move. I think you are kidding yourself if you think Liam isn't looking for a way out, sadly.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
As best I can tell, Burke joined us in January 2012. These are the outgoings since then. Steve Cook was January 4th 2012, I don't know if Burke was in place for that or not.

Jan 2012
Cook (undisclosed)

Jun 2012
Navarro (free)
Poke (free)
Taricco (retired)

Aug 2012
Hall (undisclosed)
Elphick (undisclosed)
Noone (£1m)
Bergkamp (undisclosed)

October 2012
Sparrow (released)

Jan 2013
Vincelot (released)

Jul 2013
Dobbie (undisclosed, supposedly covered what we paid out for him, upwards of £850,000)
Rodgers (free)
Harley (free)
Agdestein (free)
Kasim (released)
Vicente (released)
East (released)
Oatway (released)

Aug 2013
Painter (free)

Sep 2013
Dicker (free)

Jan 2014
Barker (undisclosed)

Source

Is that a normally reliable site, as it states Ince signed for us in July 2013 which if true could have been an extension of the 18 month contract signed in February 2013 according to the official web site. Which would be very good news
http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/article/albion-sign-rohan-ince-639491.aspx

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
The thing is, in most cases now, a transfer offer does not come in unless the players agent has been instructed, on his clients behalf, to try and find a deal elsewhere.

Football transfers no longer happen in the lovely football manager mould of :

Club decides they like a player.
Club calls other club and make offer
Other club accept
Club now speaking to the player for the first time.

If Sunderland have/do make a bid it will almost certainly be because his agent has informed them that Liam would move to them. That's not me stirring, that's just common practice now. A bidding club do not want to be in the embarrassing situation where they bid for a player, have it accepted and then hear "Liam does not want to join you". They want assurances.

Is it tapping up? technically yes. Does everyone do it and therefore have no intention to report it? Yes.

If you get the chance, read The Secret Footballer. That gives a brilliant insight into how ridiculous football transfers are now. As Wenger said the other day, the Lewandowski deal to Bayern was done 18 months ago....but they can only announce it now.

Bale was done months ago, hence Spurs spending all the Bale money before they'd even received it.

Again, it's a sad truth but it's now the reality.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Looking for a way out is quite a stong statement and implies that Liam is desperate to leave?

I reckon he is, his comments about finding it hard to refuse an offer to play in the Premier League, made in the Argus a week or so ago being the reason :shrug:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I reckon he is, his comments about finding it hard to refuse an offer to play in the Premier League, made in the Argus a week or so ago being the reason :shrug:

Yes but every player would say that when asked about Prem ambitions. He said as little as he could on the subject, and said nothing about wanting to play under Gus at Sunderland.

His agent would have been furious if he said he was happy in the Championship so I wouldn't expect him to say anything different.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The view from the north east is that the Mackems are seriously underwhelmed by Bridcutt. They think he's decent player but not the sort of player that'll make the difference to them staying up or not. They are desperate for players that'll add creativity and goal scoring. Gus only has a limited budget so I think the longer this drags on the better for us as. The pressure will mount from the fan base for Gus to be seen to be active and he'll end up needing to go elsewhere. I agree with the sentiments from many on this post - why on earth would TB want to make the move easy for a bloke who a few months ago was sacked and created merry hell for our football club at the beginning of this season.

Yes and l think that is perfectly true, Liam is a very good player, but certainly not a GREAT one. More to the point l think it is forwards and between now and the end of the season then they will probably stay up. Liam a defensive midfielder will be very lucky to score even one.

But l think if we do decide to sell then we should do it quickly, even if it's for £2.5, or £3m. We have other players who can do almost as good a job in Liam's position anyway, namely Keith Andrews and Rohan Ince, and it will give us funds to bolster our front line, perhaps bring back Craig Conway, and another established goal scorer.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Thank you TB. Still, I can't see us accepting £2.5M rising to £5M. £3.5M to £5M maybe.

I suppose that depends on the clubs belief that the clauses will be met.

I wonder what the clauses would be. Obviously avoiding relegation and maybe 50 league appearances (obviously just guessing here).
You would have thought the avoiding relegation clause would be the biggest of all. Perhaps £1m->£1.5m for that?

If they are sensible clauses then I think £2.5m is not bad. If we somehow managed to eventually take in £4m for him then that's pretty impressive.

Alternatively, give us Connor Wickham. Thanks :lolol:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Well there you go. Even easier then :lolol:

Basically meaning, Sunderland won't/wouldn't have bid unless Liam had said he wanted to join them.

I appreciate this is REALLY pedantic but there is a difference between wanting to and being willing to. What if we suddenly improved his terms? What if Liverpool (hypothetically) came in?

I am sure, given that he shares an agent with Poyet that he has indicated he'd go to them for the right offer but that's not a done deal.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I suppose that depends on the clubs belief that the clauses will be met.

I wonder what the clauses would be. Obviously avoiding relegation and maybe 50 league appearances (obviously just guessing here).
You would have thought the avoiding relegation clause would be the biggest of all. Perhaps £1m->£1.5m for that?

If they are sensible clauses then I think £2.5m is not bad. If we somehow managed to eventually take in £4m for him then that's pretty impressive.

Alternatively, give us Connor Wickham. Thanks :lolol:

I posted this suggestion earlier, but international appearances?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I am sure, given that he shares an agent with Poyet that he has indicated he'd go to them for the right offer but that's not a done deal.

This is another thing I am not happy about. Surely there is a serious conflict of interest when a prospective manager and a player both have the same agent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here