Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus getting 'Fed up'

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Hardly hatred is it? I've got no respect for someone who actively touted for other jobs while employed by us, but it's hardly hatred. Why any Brighton fan would want Sunderland to succeed is beyond me - the worse their plight the less attractive they will be to the Bridcutts of this world.

Very good point.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
3 wins 4 draws 5 defeats. 12 games 13 points, before
0 wins 1 draw 7 defeats. 8 games 1 point.

Whilst taking nothing away from what Gus is doing at Sunderland comparing him to that complete nut job Di Canio is pointless. I'd be more inclined to compare his record to Pulis, as that is more relevant?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
No blind alliegence here.

From a purely footballing point of view I recognise him as a good manager for us whilst he was here.

He has now gone and does not manage us, therefore I no longer support him....but It's completely different to be actively wishing him bad...which again is very odd to me as a supporter of a club with no hatred/dislike of Sunderland.

And i agree with the posts that perhaps resentment is a better word than hatred....but again I can't hold resentment against a guy who did so much for us.

Perhaps I'm just TOO nice :lolol:

Fair enough.

For what it's worth, I have repeatedly said I see him as a good manager, but cannot forgive his ego, big mouth and, well, the rest (that which cannot be mentioned).

There are too many being accused of being 'Gus haters' that DO recognise how well he did as our manager, but are rightly appalled by his behaviour (that is, behaviour in the public domain, e.g. post-Palar$e press conference).

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
There are too many being accused of being 'Gus haters' that DO recognise how well he did as our manager, but are rightly appalled by his behaviour (that is, behaviour in the public domain, e.g. post-Palar$e press conference).

:wave:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I think that RESENTMENT is a much, much better description than HATRED.

Gus did a fantastic job here. Anyone denying that is being daft. However it really was a dream job for him. Realistic expectation levels, yet a decent budget, new stadium, supportive chairman, etc. Gus and the Albion were equally good for each other.

Absolutely this! There might be one or two who claim to hate Poyet, however, the reality is that most people who are not continually defending Poyet simply have no respect for the man anymore. He had a fantastic opportunity handed him by Tony Bloom and he showed a complete lack of class towards the end. He was held in high esteem by the Albion Board, Chairman and fans. What other manager has had input into what goes in to a new £100 Million Stadium plus have influence on a club's new £25 Million Academy? I don't hate the man, I just don't like him anymore.

Hardly hatred is it? I've got no respect for someone who actively touted for other jobs while employed by us, but it's hardly hatred. Why any Brighton fan would want Sunderland to succeed is beyond me - the worse their plight the less attractive they will be to the Bridcutts of this world.

I think that would apply to any club Poyet went to because of the circumstances surrounding his departure-especially if he is planning on raiding us for our better players. If he is allowed to entice the likes of Ulloa and Bridcutt away from The Albion (which will have an enormous impact on our promotion hopes and plans) there will be many more disliking the man.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Have the Sunderland board told Gus he can bring in players of his own choice but the ceiling price for any player is set at £2M ?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Have the Sunderland board told Gus he can bring in players of his own choice but the ceiling price for any player is set at £2M ?

Not your point I suspect, but transfers will be interesting. The guy who brought in 14 players last summer for Sunderland is still there, so seems unlikely he'll be saying "yeah, everyone I brought in were rubbish, you bring in whoever you like" - I can't see that conversation happening.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Not your point I suspect, but transfers will be interesting. The guy who brought in 14 players last summer for Sunderland is still there, so seems unlikely he'll be saying "yeah, everyone I brought in were rubbish, you bring in whoever you like" - I can't see that conversation happening.

Gus had that hissy fit a while back where he said he would walk away if he wasn't part of the selection process and allowed to pick out who he wanted. I personally think he has recommended Bridcutt and Buckley as transfer targets to the board , they've had a think about but told him he can only spend up to a specific price level for any individual player.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Gus had that hissy fit a while back where he said he would walk away if he wasn't part of the selection process and allowed to pick out who he wanted. I personally think he has recommended Bridcutt and Buckley as transfer targets to the board , they've had a think about but told him he can only spend up to a specific price level for any individual player.

Which is why Sunderland was possibly an odd choice of club, given that he knew on the way in that there was a director of football pulling the strings. Maybe he was so deperate to get to the prem, he's take anything.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Which is why Sunderland was possibly an odd choice of club, given that he knew on the way in that there was a director of football pulling the strings. Maybe he was so deperate to get to the prem, he's take anything.

In hindsight he jumped ship too early , better vacancies have become available since he moved.

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
I can't help wanting him to fail, it's not a decision I've made but when I look over the PL fixtures I find myself thinking that I hope Sunderland lose. When we were winning league 1 and then in the Championship I was always worried that we'd lose him but gradually I found that the idea of him going was less and less of a problem for me and that was before the play-offs. After the things he said and the ineffectual way he let cp make chumps out of us in the play-offs I was glad to see the back of him. I don't hate him but the good will from the good old days is completely overshadowed by the bitter ending.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
In hindsight he jumped ship too early , better vacancies have become available since he moved.

He didn't jump ship too early though, we made him walk the plank so that his departure was on our terms. He may have been too quick to sign for Sunderland but he would have only gone to another club that was equally struggling.

Even saying that it would have been to his advantage going for the first available vacancy because it would have given more time to influence his style of play.

I think Sunderland was the perfect time and place for him and his destiny is in his own hands. He is probably just a back to back win away from taking them out of the relegation zone which could even be the case come the last two games of the season.

Unfortunately for him publicly saying he is fed up doesn't help win games.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
He didn't jump ship too early though, we made him walk the plank so that his departure was on our terms. He may have been too quick to sign for Sunderland but he would have only gone to another club that was equally struggling.

Even saying that it would have been to his advantage going for the first available vacancy because it would have given more time to influence his style of play.

I think Sunderland was the perfect time and place for him and his destiny is in his own hands. He is probably just a back to back win away from taking them out of the relegation zone which could even be the case come the last two games of the season.

But nobody forced him to come out and say what he did, or do whatever he did do, to get himself sent packing from Village Way, did they? I've said it before, but I think if he had kept quiet, and got on with the job at hand, he would now be managing a team that was in the Premier League, but not rooted to the foot of it. Sadly, for him, "Radio" simply can't help himself.

I'm grateful for what he did to help transform the club, and ensure a successful transition back into a) the Championship and b) the new stadium, but can't help feeling disappointed by the way it ended. With that in mind, good luck to him in his career, but he can take a running jump if he wants any sympathy for his current predicamefrom BHAFC fans. And if he is going to bid for his ex-players, he can make the numbers more realistic...

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Instead of telling Tony he wanted to go as soon as possible in March he should have kept his gob shut and waited until the end of the season. Admittedly it would have left us in a mess this season but time would have been in Gus's favour with all the sackings which occurred in the Premier League.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here