Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

David Lopez - real hatred from an Albion fan

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No doubt you'll disagree, but I don't think there was anything special about Lopez's cross, if the keeper hadn't come tearing off of his line like a mad man the defender (Pearce?) would have gently headed the ball back into his unused gloves. Pearce had it under control but McCarthy got his lines horribly wrong.

Yeah your quite right, it wasn't a 'if you don't score we will' situation.

My point is in that one move SD showed more guille, skill and intelligence than the rest of that midfield generated all game.

He's more reliable than Orlandi, and Buckley.
He's more potent than the huff and puff of KLL, which is just wrong.
He's less predictable than 'one foot' March.
And more creative than all of the rest.

Sadly though he's so frackin inconsistent and too much of a passenger.

albionite

May 20, 2009
Not sure what it is with Lopez one of my favourite players last year. Absolutely awful this season.

Is it a confidence thing, he doesn't fit into Oscars way of play, carrying an injury or he just was never very good in the first place and I've only just noticed?

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Yeah your quite right, it wasn't a 'if you don't score we will' situation.

My point is in that one move SD showed more guille, skill and intelligence than the rest of that midfield generated all game.

He's more reliable than Orlandi, and Buckley.
He's more potent than the huff and puff of KLL, which is just wrong.
He's less predictable than 'one foot' March.
And more creative than all of the rest.

Sadly though he's so frackin inconsistent and too much of a passenger.

Why is he being played as the wide right in a front 3, it makes no sense, the man is desperately slow. Ideally he needs to be in the midfield 3 with Ince and Stephens, let him do his thing from there and try and provide ammunition for Ulloa and any 2 from Buckley,Lingard,Lua Lua,March,Rodgriguez. If he's with Stephens and Ince they can do the physical side of the game, let Lopez do the beautiful side of it. We know he can play the quarterback role if he has options ahead of him, if he's stuck out on the right if he ever gets forward quick enough he has 1 player to aim for in the box and he's usually surrounded by 3 defenders. AAAAAAARRRGGGHHHHHH!!!!FFS FFS FFS. It's really starting to make my pi$$ boil.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Not sure what it is with Lopez one of my favourite players last year. Absolutely awful this season.

Is it a confidence thing, he doesn't fit into Oscars way of play, carrying an injury or he just was never very good in the first place and I've only just noticed?

He's still a very good player, but Oscar is playing him in the wrong position. Ulloa is a great player, stick him in goal and he'll probably look bad. Crap analogy but my head's thinking quicker than my hands are typing. The wide left and right positions need to be taken by players who have speed and skill.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
At 31 he is never going to suddenly become a speedy winger, so I don't expect him to storm up and down the pitch for 90 mins.

Unfortunately our wingers are always getting injured or coming back from injury so it's quite handy that Lopez is always available, even with his old legs.

Sure it's frustrating sometimes, and there are those head in your hand moments but verbal abuse is uncalled for.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Nice assist for our goal.

How does he rate in goals and assists when compared to the rest of the team?

Oh and yes he wasn't much cop today.

Personally I thought he put in some lovely passes today, linked well with Bruno, certainly wasn't our worst player yesterday and doesn't deserve the abuse he gets, and generally speaking I think Buckley is worse for pulling out of challenges. But, to answer your question

Goals
Ulloa 11
Barnes 6
Crofts 6
David Lopez 3
Calderon 2
Forster-Caskey 2
Upson 2
Andrews 1
Buckley 1
Conway 1
Ince 1
Lita 1
March 1
Obika 1
Ward 1

Assists
Barnes 4
Buckley 4
David Lopez 4
Calderon 3
Conway 3
Lualua 3
Orlandi 3
Ulloa 2
Ward 2
Agustien 1
Andrews 1
Bruno 1
Crofts 1
Forster-Caskey 1
Upson 1

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Personally I thought he put in some lovely passes today, linked well with Bruno, certainly wasn't our worst player yesterday and doesn't deserve the abuse he gets, and generally speaking I think Buckley is worse for pulling out of challenges. But, to answer your question

Goals
Ulloa 11
Barnes 6
Crofts 6
David Lopez 3
Calderon 2
Forster-Caskey 2
Upson 2
Andrews 1
Buckley 1
Conway 1
Ince 1
Lita 1
March 1
Obika 1
Ward 1

Assists
Barnes 4
Buckley 4
David Lopez 4
Calderon 3
Conway 3
Lualua 3
Orlandi 3
Ulloa 2
Ward 2
Agustien 1
Andrews 1
Bruno 1
Crofts 1
Forster-Caskey 1
Upson 1

Be interesting to see minutes on the pitch next to those stats, we all know Lopez plays pretty much every game and it is his job to create goals.So take out the 2 against Leicester and it it actually pretty shit isn't it??Hope he gets released in the summer.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Goals
Ulloa 11
Barnes 6
Crofts 6
David Lopez 3
Calderon 2
Forster-Caskey 2
Upson 2
Andrews 1
Buckley 1
Conway 1
Ince 1
Lita 1
March 1
Obika 1
Ward 1

Assists
Barnes 4
Buckley 4
David Lopez 4
Calderon 3
Conway 3
Lualua 3
Orlandi 3
Ulloa 2
Ward 2
Agustien 1
Andrews 1
Bruno 1
Crofts 1
Forster-Caskey 1
Upson 1

As I thought, it's a seriously low benchmark if you want to be considered an attacking force, for the Albion.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Be interesting to see minutes on the pitch next to those stats
True.

Although they look as if 90% of the team has only played two or three times, all season.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Be interesting to see minutes on the pitch next to those stats, we all know Lopez plays pretty much every game and it is his job to create goals.So take out the 2 against Leicester and it it actually pretty shit isn't it??Hope he gets released in the summer.

Lopez has only been on the pitch for 58.8% of our game time (inc injury time). (61.2% of league minutes)

Minutes per goal
Lita 103
Ulloa 171.73
Obika 199
Barnes 306.67
Crofts 378.33
March 516
David Lopez 724
Forster-Caskey 803
Calderon 975
Conway 1018
Buckley 1606
Upson 1732
Andrews 1904
Ince 2157
Ward 2965

Minutes per assist
Orlandi 270.33
Conway 339.33
Buckley 401.5
Lualua 430.67
Barnes 460
David Lopez 543
Calderon 650
Agustien 815
Ulloa 944.5
Ward 1482.5
Forster-Caskey 1606
Andrews 1904
Bruno 1946
Crofts 2270
Upson 3464

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Acker, as you know I love the stats you produce, but as a midfield player albeit a wide one, for an accurate picture we should have stats on tackles made, times being pulled out of position, not tracking back, ball watching, over-hit deliveries, corners where the first man is not cleared...... Whist he does make a positive contribution now and again, the bad vastly outweighs the good and that included yesterday.

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
Yes DL is slow, yes he doesn't like to get stuck in but in his defence have a good look at the starting 11 yesterday and ask youself who would create the chances for the BHA forwards and so who would you set out to stop. That 11 reminded me of many a Poyet selection at home, no pace going forward, 2 defendive m/fielders ( Ince and Andrews doesn't work) no real winger to work the wing and so really on form DL should really only play in the middle cause he and Orlandi are the only ones who can pickout a decent pass.

Johnnyboy

Sep 25, 2010
North Hampshire
A loudmouth (he is, every game) in WSU c. block H, has a pathological hatred of Lopez. Spent the entire time Lopez was on the pitch shouting 4-lettered abuse at him, culminating in a "Get off, you Spanish cu*t" when he was subbed. A few fans near the so-called 'fan' turned on him, he mouthed back, stewards intervened and he disappeared.

I cannot remember such unbridled loathing and abuse of a current Albion player before.

A few in 1901 doing the same. I don't think he is ever going to bring a Roy Keane like physicality to the table but his instant control and passing skills plus his positional play are, in my opinion, top draw. Funnily enough the moaners in 1901 are the same 'fans' who used to castigate Barnes. The same in WSU?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
A few in 1901 doing the same. I don't think he is ever going to bring a Roy Keane like physicality to the table but his instant control and passing skills plus his positional play are, in my opinion, top draw. Funnily enough the moaners in 1901 are the same 'fans' who used to castigate Barnes. The same in WSU?

He made the difference yesterday and although I sometimes feel frustrated with him, he does do his best.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Acker, as you know I love the stats you produce, but as a midfield player albeit a wide one, for an accurate picture we should have stats on tackles made, times being pulled out of position, not tracking back, ball watching, over-hit deliveries, corners where the first man is not cleared...... Whist he does make a positive contribution now and again, the bad vastly outweighs the good and that included yesterday.

But even that would not be accurate on its own. You need to also find out instructions from Garcia and tactical plans. You need to know the thought process of most of the players

Some players are there to break up play, they are there to tackle, others are there for their creativity and distribution of the ball, so would have to include long/short passes attempted/completed, and whether those failed passes were the result of the receiving player or the passing player or just good defensive work. (most of our attacking players would be at the bottom of tackles charts, seems to me buckley pulls out of more challenges than Lopez)

Surely a player who tracks back will be high on the table for 'pulled out of position', you can't stay in position and track back.

Ball watching is very vague, all players should watch the ball, if you take it literally, but I doubt you meant that, so how do you draw that line between patiently waiting for the opportunity to take action and ball watching? Where's the line between players wrongly anticipating each others moves and ball watching? (given how all our defenders like to back off and sit deep, any on them could be high on that chart)

How do you know a delivery is over hit and not just a result of someone not making the right run e.g player making to run to the far post, Lopez hits it long and that player goes to the near post instead? (I'd actually expect Lualua to be high on this one with the shots he just blasts).

Corners would probably be bad, but it's not like a lot of different people take them so there isn't a great deal to compare him to, perhaps other people would be worse, and over the years getting past the first man has been a regular problem. But even then, near post corners aren't inherently bad. If we know that's where they're going, other players should make a run to that post, get in front of the first man. When someone is so consistently putting the ball into the same area, shouldn't we expect better reading of the situation/anticipation from his team mates?

He keeps getting picked, which seems to suggest he is doing what management expects of him, even if he isn't doing what fans expect of him.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
But even that would not be accurate on its own. You need to also find out instructions from Garcia and tactical plans. You need to know the thought process of most of the players

Some players are there to break up play, they are there to tackle, others are there for their creativity and distribution of the ball, so would have to include long/short passes attempted/completed, and whether those failed passes were the result of the receiving player or the passing player or just good defensive work. (most of our attacking players would be at the bottom of tackles charts, seems to me buckley pulls out of more challenges than Lopez)

Surely a player who tracks back will be high on the table for 'pulled out of position', you can't stay in position and track back.

Ball watching is very vague, all players should watch the ball, if you take it literally, but I doubt you meant that, so how do you draw that line between patiently waiting for the opportunity to take action and ball watching? Where's the line between players wrongly anticipating each others moves and ball watching? (given how all our defenders like to back off and sit deep, any on them could be high on that chart)

How do you know a delivery is over hit and not just a result of someone not making the right run e.g player making to run to the far post, Lopez hits it long and that player goes to the near post instead? (I'd actually expect Lualua to be high on this one with the shots he just blasts).

Corners would probably be bad, but it's not like a lot of different people take them so there isn't a great deal to compare him to, perhaps other people would be worse, and over the years getting past the first man has been a regular problem. But even then, near post corners aren't inherently bad. If we know that's where they're going, other players should make a run to that post, get in front of the first man. When someone is so consistently putting the ball into the same area, shouldn't we expect better reading of the situation/anticipation from his team mates?

He keeps getting picked, which seems to suggest he is doing what management expects of him, even if he isn't doing what fans expect of him.

Great response Acker, but really my point is that we can produce attacking stats, but defending comes from the front as well and all players have a responsibility.

The days of the playmaker are all but gone, players need to be athletes and be able to create and tackle back, you only have to look at why Mourinho has off-loaded Mata.

Spanish Dave only 'creates' occasionally these days and as I've highlighted the defensive side is woeful, which incidentally, I can't understand as when he played right back last season he excelled.

For me he is undeniably the weakest link in the team and I can see no reason why Oscar is playing him.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Why is he being played as the wide right in a front 3, it makes no sense, the man is desperately slow. Ideally he needs to be in the midfield 3 with Ince and Stephens, let him do his thing from there and try and provide ammunition for Ulloa and any 2 from Buckley,Lingard,Lua Lua,March,Rodgriguez. If he's with Stephens and Ince they can do the physical side of the game, let Lopez do the beautiful side of it. We know he can play the quarterback role if he has options ahead of him, if he's stuck out on the right if he ever gets forward quick enough he has 1 player to aim for in the box and he's usually surrounded by 3 defenders. AAAAAAARRRGGGHHHHHH!!!!FFS FFS FFS. It's really starting to make my pi$$ boil.

Totally this, he is the playmaker, not a right winger. A quarter back is a great analogy, thought I was on my own in this thinking.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Great response Acker, but really my point is that we can produce attacking stats, but defending comes from the front as well and all players have a responsibility.

The days of the playmaker are all but gone, players need to be athletes and be able to create and tackle back, you only have to look at why Mourinho has off-loaded Mata.

Spanish Dave only 'creates' occasionally these days and as I've highlighted the defensive side is woeful, which incidentally, I can't understand as when he played right back last season he excelled.

For me he is undeniably the weakest link in the team and I can see no reason why Oscar is playing him.

How many games have his goals won this season?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here