Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

*** Official Album of the Year 2015 Thread ***

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
You're not the only one banging on about Richard Dawson. I'm very keen for him to come back here.
I have also banged on about the Brighton Alternative Jazz Festival, but will do so again as gig (if a festival counts as a gig) of the year has been raised.

I went and caught him the night before TGE in London as well, it was the first thing to make me smile after the election I think. Definitely worth travelling for and I don't get out of Brighton a huge amount for gigs any more.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Favourite gig anyone? Out of 36 have to say mine was Hot Chip at Heimathafen. One of those wonderful moments when the crowd, venue and band all play their part and align for a memorable night.

The Nimmo Brothers at Worthing Pier Southern Pavilion. Blues/Rock of the highest order in frontof a packed house.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Blinding track, totally what I want from Bowie. Album's out next year though.

Having settled in with this track for a while now I agree. I don't recall when I last felt any real anticipation for a Bowie album but something is definitely stirring. Video is a total distraction mind you & undermines the music as most do.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Blinding track, totally what I want from Bowie. Album's out next year though.

Visconti has said Blackstar is not typical of the album - which may be a pity.

Then again he is also quoted as saying 'A Bowie album is almost as complicated as the galaxy we live in' so feel free to disregard anything the pretentious self important **** says.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Visconti has said Blackstar is not typical of the album - which may be a pity.

Then again he is also quoted as saying 'A Bowie album is almost as complicated as the galaxy we live in' so feel free to disregard anything the pretentious self important **** says.

Did I read somewhere that James Murphy is involved? *drools*

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Some of us are more interested in your top ten for the year, as opposed to your drooling :)*

* I included that, because I gather you're fond of them.

Far too early! Think I did it in the week before Xmas last year, I have started to think about it though, you'll be glad to know!

Much appreciated.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
My top 10 of the year for anybody remotely interested.

10. Thee Tsunamis - Saturday night Sweetheart

Three piece all female band marrying garage, glam, punk, 60s girl groups with a b-movie trash aesthetic.

9. Zarelli - Soft rains

Edwyn Collins' sometime music collaborator provides a soundtrack to Leonard Nimoy's reading of Ray Bradbury's short story 'There will be soft rains"

8. Holly Herndon - Platform

Would have been higher but still find 'Lonely at the Top' grating.

7. La Luz - Weirdo Shrine

The Seattle surf band's second LP gets produced by Ty Segall resulting in a fuzzy, foggy, dreamy pop sound.

6. Haiku Salut - Etch and Etch Deep

Continued below

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
5. Ela Orleans - Upper Hell

Former Hassle Hound vocalist's 6th solo LP based on the work of Dante. Lovely lo fi pop.

4. Shopping - Why Choose

For those who mourn for the days of Delta Five and Au Pairs. Riding the post punk train without sounding derivative or winking at you ironically.

3. US Girls - Half Free

Canadian Meghan Remy channels Springsteen's lyrical tales of ordinary people to a female perspective. The 'Sororal Feelings' track has the best use of 'hang' in a chorus since Panic.

2. Death & Vanilla - Where the wild things are

Lovely, dreamy Scandinavian indie pop

***Arty French director = NSFW***

1. Lonelady - Hinterland

An album about her Manchester surroundings that channels the heritage of both the place and its musical history.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Can I change my list? Since seeing John Grant I have had Grey Tickles on repeat play... it's now in my top 5.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
As always a cracking list [MENTION=61]Theatre of Trees[/MENTION].

That Lonelady record really did it for me as well.

Wire's list came out today Can't be arsed to type it all out but Jlin's masterpiece was top. I'm sure it will turn up on the net somewhere soon.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My god the new Grimes album is good. Polished DIY pop. Might add positions 5-10 to my list.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here