Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Were you around in 1983

Lurker

56 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands
It never ceases to amaze me how so many people can remember such individual details from those days.
My first game was in 1962, so by the 1979 - 1983 period I was in my prime and went to virtually every game home and away ... but I only remember tiny details from those days.

I have to admire you guys that remember individual passages of play from specific games.

I seem to recall loving every minute of being a top flight team, but a lot on here are telling me the football was dirge.
I don't remember that, but if you say so.........

I'll take my memories of Peter Ward on his day to my grave though, they will never go away!
I feel so, so sorry for you younger guys who never saw him live.
Incomparable ...........

DataPoint

Mar 31, 2015
Facinating thread! .... Just shows how football provides some of our greatest memories. And there's nothing wrong with that!

The truth is though - that the Goldsone ground and the clubs stucture in the past were hopelessly inadequate for maintaining top level football.

That's all changed! The club are now operating at a completely new level - virtually a new club - able to exploit the almost unrivalled potential of our 'premier' city - 'London by the Sea' at the heart of our stunning 'sexy' county of Sussex. Now, it's not a matter of 'if' we can reach the top level but only 'when'. I believe the future will be greater than the past.

I'm in my early seventies. I don't mind waiting a few more years as long as I have a decade or so in the pomised land. I'll cling on if necessary.

Oh! ... and by the way ..... nothing yet has surpassed that hot, packed, nervous, breathtaking result on the evening of 30 April 1958 - Brighton 6 Watford 0 (Adrian 5) to clinch the Albion's first ever promotion. The ultimate in football exhilaration.

DataPoint

Mar 31, 2015
It never ceases to amaze me how so many people can remember such individual details from those days.
My first game was in 1962, so by the 1979 - 1983 period I was in my prime and went to virtually every game home and away ... but I only remember tiny details from those days.

I have to admire you guys that remember individual passages of play from specific games.

I seem to recall loving every minute of being a top flight team, but a lot on here are telling me the football was dirge.
I don't remember that, but if you say so.........

I'll take my memories of Peter Ward on his day to my grave though, they will never go away!
I feel so, so sorry for you younger guys who never saw him live.
Incomparable ...........

Couldn't agree with you more.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
1st game in 1979 V Liverpool - stuffed 4-1. Stood on terrace in front of West Stand - barely saw anything but loved it !

Beating Forest 1-0 later that season was a great day

Big Bill

Banned
Nov 4, 2015
1st game in 1979 V Liverpool - stuffed 4-1. Stood on terrace in front of West Stand - barely saw anything but loved it !

Beating Forest 1-0 later that season was a great day
Forest yes, we did the double over them but 1st game in 1979 against Liverpool? Are you sure about that?

Jul 7, 2003
The away game v Liverpool in 79/80 was special for me as an 11 year old. Up very early to drive up to Anfield (pre-M25/M40 days) and took an old lady who lived nearby with us as she was a Liverpool fan and wanted one last trip to Anfield. Arrived at Anfield lunchtime and went into the ticket office there (can't remember why) only to find the late, great Bob Paisley talking to someone behind the counter. Of course, our little old lady was gobsmacked at this, even more so when he turned round and started speaking to us. Got him to sign my programme and managed to get most of the players signatures as we stood by the tunnel. Unfortunately, someone nicked it from my Dad's pocket on the way back to the car.

The game itself was one of our better performances that season and we were only undone when, I think, a foul on Nobby Horton was missed by the ref and this gave them space to score the winner.

It was also my first experience of Merseyside police and those ling sticks. We parked nearby and there were some junior hoolies running through the car park chased by the police. They caught a couple of them and gave them a good crack across the wrists with these big sticks on some car bonnet. Put a nice dent in the bonnet but the police didn't seem to care about that and just carried on chasing the rest of the kids.

Jan 30, 2008
The away game v Liverpool in 79/80 was special for me as an 11 year old. Up very early to drive up to Anfield (pre-M25/M40 days) and took an old lady who lived nearby with us as she was a Liverpool fan and wanted one last trip to Anfield. Arrived at Anfield lunchtime and went into the ticket office there (can't remember why) only to find the late, great Bob Paisley talking to someone behind the counter. Of course, our little old lady was gobsmacked at this, even more so when he turned round and started speaking to us. Got him to sign my programme and managed to get most of the players signatures as we stood by the tunnel. Unfortunately, someone nicked it from my Dad's pocket on the way back to the car.

The game itself was one of our better performances that season and we were only undone when, I think, a foul on Nobby Horton was missed by the ref and this gave them space to score the winner.

It was also my first experience of Merseyside police and those ling sticks. We parked nearby and there were some junior hoolies running through the car park chased by the police. They caught a couple of them and gave them a good crack across the wrists with these big sticks on some car bonnet. Put a nice dent in the bonnet but the police didn't seem to care about that and just carried on chasing the rest of the kids.
just how it should be and be on your way:)
regards
DR

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
I was with my mates halfway up the terrace, behind the Sheffield Wednesday goal, when Jimmy Case scored from that free kick in the semi final at Highbury. Its part of the montage on the big screen before our home matches, still makes me smile,

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Can honestly say I cried as a kid when we lost 4-0 in the replay, does seem a long time ago now

Shy Talk

Mar 3, 2012
Brighton
I was with my mates halfway up the terrace, behind the Sheffield Wednesday goal, when Jimmy Case scored from that free kick in the semi final at Highbury. Its part of the montage on the big screen before our home matches, still makes me smile,
I was there too. That was a special goal, eh? Brings a lump to the throat.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Read volume 3 of the cup final book by Matthew Eastley......good 1st hand stories from genuine Albion fans that year.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Echoing what other people have alluded to, whilst the cup run in '83 was magnificent, with the trip to Anfield one of my all-time highlights waching sport, for me the really magical time to follow the Albion was 1976-79. Flying up the leagues, seeing Ward and Mellor in their pomp, 7 second half goals against Walsall, the rivalry with Palace, seeing us play in front of 48000 people at White Hart Lane in the 2nd division. So many great memories.

In contrast my abiding memory of us playing in the top-flight is getting stuffed 4-0 in our first game in Division 1. After the novelty died down the football became pretty humdrum as I recall. We were sensational in the cup in 82/83 but woeful in the league.

The problem for many fans was they'd had too much, much too young. Or something similar. After several seasons of big wins against inferior teams, being on the wrong end of a couple of drubbings and scrambling the odd point against Stoke and Coventry wasn't quite the same.

But humdrum? Beating Palace 3-0 on Boxing Day at the Goldstone and over Easter at Selhurst, putting four past Man City twice, doing the double over European champions Nottingham Forest, winning at Anfield in successive seasons, beating Arsenal at home two years in a row, beating Keegan's Saints at The Dell, 3-3 draws at Coventry and home to Liverpool, home wins over Tottenham, West Ham, Everton, Villa the season they won the league ... yeah, four pretty dull years when I think back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here