Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] In praise of Gordon Greer

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
I'd say keep him, just for the fact he is a commanding presence in the dressing room, somebody to help the younger guy to develop and be good cover as he's still worthy cover.

Keith Patel

**** off Lino.
Apr 4, 2009
Brighton
I'll always remember chants of "Where's your captain gone? WHERE'S YA CAPTAIN GONE?" on the first day of the promotion season at Swindon.

Gordon didn't play because I think he was suspended but we certainly wanted to let them know we'd nicked their skipper!

:albion2:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
GG looked fit again for the Wednesday game. I only think he must have been carrying an injury in the early part of the season.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I have no idea if he'll be retained or not, but I understand he was inconsolable at the end of the game on Monday night.

Regardless, it has long grated with me that I just don't feel our skipper has got the credit I feel he so richly deserves.

Since making a "sideways move" from Swindon he has been the rock in the heart of the defence of a side that has been consistently difficult to score against. He was our captain as we stormed to the League One title, and remained in place taking us to some of the highest finishes in the club's entire history.

His Albion form was good enough to earn him international recognition despite his advancing years, with Scotland manager Gordon Strachan once saying: "Gordon Greer looks nothing like a footballer. He looks like a rock star at a testimonial but he was absolutely fantastic."

He's been a constant through these first five years of the Amex era, and I'll certainly miss him if he's not part of the sixth in any way. That's football, I guess - sometimes we don't get a proper chance to say "goodbye".

He's been great for us, and no one should be suggesting otherwise.

View attachment 74842

Well said.

I always feel we work the ball out more when he plays.

His record speaks for itself a true winner.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I have no idea if he'll be retained or not, but I understand he was inconsolable at the end of the game on Monday night.

Regardless, it has long grated with me that I just don't feel our skipper has got the credit I feel he so richly deserves.

Since making a "sideways move" from Swindon he has been the rock in the heart of the defence of a side that has been consistently difficult to score against. He was our captain as we stormed to the League One title, and remained in place taking us to some of the highest finishes in the club's entire history.

His Albion form was good enough to earn him international recognition despite his advancing years, with Scotland manager Gordon Strachan once saying: "Gordon Greer looks nothing like a footballer. He looks like a rock star at a testimonial but he was absolutely fantastic."

He's been a constant through these first five years of the Amex era, and I'll certainly miss him if he's not part of the sixth in any way. That's football, I guess - sometimes we don't get a proper chance to say "goodbye".

He's been great for us, and no one should be suggesting otherwise.

View attachment 74842

Totally agree. I've never understood the criticism Greer got from some Albion fans, including on here. Part of the best defence in this league two years in a row (over the play off years) and even last season, when we were terrible, our defensive record was good for a team who came 20th. Another great bit of business from Poyet, who did make some great signings even if it ended badly.

Hope he will stay on as back up next season as he played well the last three games considering he had hardly played for months. Think he might decide he needs to move to get regular football though and I wouldn't blame him.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
He's been a fantastic servant to the club and although getting on he's done great.
It's the right time to release him though and he'll get snapped up I'm sure.

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
His international recognition was well merited and who will ever forget his thunderous Lewandowski tackle when the highly paid, over hyped Polish striker was forced, much to his chagrin, to eat dirt in Warsaw.

As someone who's 50 per cent Polish, I'll confess that my allegiances were a little biased towards Lewandowski when GG played against him for Scotland. But it was one HELL of a challenge regardless.

1413411407823_wps_49_Scotland_s_Gordon_Greer_r.jpg

I hope he's here for another season.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Echo most of this. I also had the pleasure of siting next to him at a kit-sponsor meal a few years back; an absolutely lovely and very chilled guy.

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
I have always liked and rated Greer, Not the quickest, Not the best in the air but his reading of the game is top quality. Really is a class defender.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
And he has a LOVELY smile :D

I will miss him if he goes. He was quite superb on Monday night. If he goes, he will do so with my best wishes and a very hearty thank you for six brilliant years.

And also a lot of LOLZ at Swindon's expense.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
I'll openly admit that I though Greer might be done as of the end of Poyet's playoff season and a new manager might come in and fancy Dunk more. I was worried about him at the start of this season and even more so coming into two massive games ('Boro and Wednesday) with no first team football since Christmas. Wrong on all counts.

He must have a brilliant football brain because he's not the quickest and seems to get smaller rather than bigger when he jumps. It speaks volumes of him that since he's been at the club 4 managers have obviously rated him highly at the highest level of football he'd played in his career.

Be happy to have him for another year as 4th choice but equally can understand why we might think the money is spent better elsewhere. Either way a brilliant servant to the club.

You've managed to assimilate how I feel about GG in a single post yet normally I get pilloried for 'slagging him off' and you managed it without doing so. Thankyou.

Great servant, excellent for the first 4 years but in my opinion now time to let the younger guys be first choice.

Thank you for your time GG and please stay if you can handle being 4th choice and sorry we didn't get to say thanks if you choose to go elsewhere for the security of your family and a longer contract with guarantees of football.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And he has a LOVELY smile :D

I will miss him if he goes. He was quite superb on Monday night. If he goes, he will do so with my best wishes and a very hearty thank you for six brilliant years.

And also a lot of LOLZ at Swindon's expense.

Would you smash it?

silverwizard

Nov 10, 2009
Our brilliant season in 2010/11 was built in GG. Poyet pursued him for weeks during the summer when Swindon were foolish enough to offer him a miserly one year deal. We got him cheap and the whole possession based style of play was started with Ankergren rolling the ball out to GG or the full backs. If Either full back got the ball it inevitably was given back to the captain to dictate the play.
As a captain he has been outstanding. Surely the best since Horton. I have read that he is very good at dealing with factions within the dressing room and the excellent team spirit we have enjoyed over the past few seasons is due in no small measure to him.

We have some excellent professionals coming to the end of their careers on our books. Our recruitment team I am sure will ensure that any replacements are chosen for their character as well as their footballing ability.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Lots of good memories, but I totally understand why he'd want to leave this summer as there's no way we can guarantee him consistent first team football anymore with better and younger players in front of him.

I'm more worried about losing what he's likely to bring off the pitch at this stage, rather than his ability on it, as he's clearly our fourth choice at this stage of his career. But those off pitch qualities can't be overestimated, particularly with Calde likely to leave too, and replacing that character is something I'm sure Hughton will focus on this summer if Greer and Calde do leave.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Pretty sure he'll be off.
Shame.
Thanks for the great memories, GG. Especially 2011. And the hilarious miss v Cardiff.

It may not be a case of, if we want him to stay as a back up to our younger centre half's, as he knows he can still get first team football elsewhere. If he stays, not only will he not start, he will lose his Captaincy too, and that might be too much for his pride to take.
He has been a fantastic player for us, and the glue that has kept us together at times, but I agree with some of the other comments on here, that time has caught up with him, and it maybe time for us to say goodbye. Just as it is with Calderon and Zamora, if you love them, let them go!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here