Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Going to get out tomorrow and take in a very steady 4 miles as I recover from the Brighton Marathon. This time last year I ran a 10 & 11 mile run within two weeks of finishing and could barely run for 4 months. I'm determined not to repeat the same mistakes of coming back to quickly.

I've been looking at other runs for 2015 - Does anyone have any experiences or views of the following:-

Saltdean Lions 9 mile Sunday 17th May
Worthing 10k Sunday 7th June
Hove Prom 10k Sunday 20th Sept
Bright10 - Sunday 18th October

Also looking out for Brooks 10 in Nov, Mince Pie in Dec & Brighton Half next Feb - As I'm not planning on running a marathon again it would be good to keep busy on smaller distances and improve times.

I did the Hove Prom 10k last year. Well organised by one of the clubs, Phoenix I think. Mixture of club runners and some fun runners. Starts at Lagoon, 5km straight up and down. No chip timing, I just entered on the day.

I'll probably do Worthing too and will have a look at Saltdean.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Mate's birthday last night so this morning I needed to run off gin, beer, wine, calvados, steak and cheese. One of those where I went out with no particular plan and ended up running 8 miles, my longest so far. All that nastiness is burned off and I don't have a hangover any more.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I did the Hove Prom 10k last year. Well organised by one of the clubs, Phoenix I think. Mixture of club runners and some fun runners. Starts at Lagoon, 5km straight up and down. No chip timing, I just entered on the day.

I'll probably do Worthing too and will have a look at Saltdean.

Interested in running the Saltdean 9, well spotted @Bignuts, but have hung up my boots for 10ks as that prolonged anaerobic effort is not worth my finish time. The plan is working on 5k time and longer runs up to 10 or 12 miles.....and Yes [MENTION=21215]Dazzer[/MENTION] it will be on the Downs. Plus swimming all summer and core work.

This is all 'off time' before training begins in the Autumn for next years Brighton marathon, which I have just entered after losing to it this year!

I'm looking to run another marathon October/November time - if anyone knows of something nearby here around that time - would be grateful for a heads-up.

Glass was a bit half-full for me for Brighton just gone, achieved my first aim of not walking any of it, but not my second of getting inside 4:30, ended up doing a pretty painful 4:45.

The conclusion I'm drawing is that a year is too long to wait in between marathons and that I must get my body far more used to running them - it's such a bloody unnatural distance to run!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Mate's birthday last night so this morning I needed to run off gin, beer, wine, calvados, steak and cheese. One of those where I went out with no particular plan and ended up running 8 miles, my longest so far. All that nastiness is burned off and I don't have a hangover any more.

Classic win/win [emoji3]

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Proper struggle at lunchtime. Considering I used to play football in temperatures of 30 degrees c at a time when I still smoked, today 18 degrees beat me like a bitch. Time down on my short run and legs seriously complaining!

I'm assuming most people switch to early morning or evening training about this time? Or if you can only fit it in at lunchtime then do slightly less until used to the sun.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Rest Schmest.

After my hard, but enjoyable for the scenery, 10mi slog around London early Sunday morning I resolved to have a rest for a few days. I managed to resist the urge to go out yesterday but today I couldn't so I hit the road once again. Firstly it's warm out there.

Anyway, in my classic pace mis-management way I started off too fast, so I tried to keep it going until around the 3 mile mark before plodding the 3.5mi to get me home again.

The result is my 5km PB is down to 24:38 from a previous best of 25:24 set only last week. Coming from a base of 31:06 at the beginning of February, I'm pleased with that.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'm looking to run another marathon October/November time - if anyone knows of something nearby here around that time - would be grateful for a heads-up.

Glass was a bit half-full for me for Brighton just gone, achieved my first aim of not walking any of it, but not my second of getting inside 4:30, ended up doing a pretty painful 4:45.

The conclusion I'm drawing is that a year is too long to wait in between marathons and that I must get my body far more used to running them - it's such a bloody unnatural distance to run!

I promised [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] that I'd post the details of this, and I've just entered it. If anyone has run it, or has any experience of it, do let me know.

http://www.rydeharriers.co.uk/races/59th-isle-of-wight-marathon/

Not signing up for Brighton seemed like a good idea at the time, but I really missed not being a part of it. IOW is compensation, and a way of getting a 2015 marathon in.

Then it's onto Brighton 2016 and maybe London...

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
I am beginning to feel compelled to enter Brighton again for 2016, all those early bird prices expire at midnight are wearing me down!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
W
I promised [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] that I'd post the details of this, and I've just entered it. If anyone has run it, or has any experience of it, do let me know.

Not signing up for Brighton seemed like a good idea at the time, but I really missed not being a part of it. IOW is compensation, and a way of getting a 2015 marathon in.

Your a glutton for hills. I did the 80 mile or so round Island Walk a couple of years back. We were surprised at the ups and downs. looks a good run.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
W

Your a glutton for hills. I did the 80 mile or so round Island Walk a couple of years back. We were surprised at the ups and downs. looks a good run.

I think it's fair to say it's not a Marathon PB course. I've got to learn negative splits and to not go off like a rocket between now and then.

Talking of walking, after Saturday's parkrun, I ran nine miles on Sunday night, and three miles this morning. Nothing unusual about that, but yesterday I spent mostly walking around London and my legs are killing me this afternoon. I've had it before from walking - just goes to show how you use different muscles, or use the same muscles differently. Or something...

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

This is a reasonably flat course -

http://www.run-bmf.com/?marathon_eventinfo

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011

http://www.marathonrunnersdiary.com/races/uk-marathon-list.php

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove

That climb at the end looks nasty! Bournemouth looks a good option, probably be able to take in some EPL action over the weekend too ;)

Probably looking more for a half in the autumn. Barns Green in 27th September a likely target http://www.barnsgreen-half.org.uk/

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I registered for the Bright10 race run last night, looks a good flat 10 mile run on the 18th October from Hove to Roedean & back.

I've got a discount code THISFRIENDCAN2 which gives you £2 off the entry fee

If you add my registration number FLYJR3Z4PT I also get £2 refunded.

Also entered the

Brighton Phoenix 10k Weds 15th July
Brooks 10k Sunday 15th Nov

Waiting for the Mince Pie run in Peacehaven to open & The Brighton Half to complete my 12 months of running events, plus the odd Hove Park Run.

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
I registered for the Bright10 race run last night, looks a good flat 10 mile run on the 18th October from Hove to Roedean & back.

I've got a discount code THISFRIENDCAN2 which gives you £2 off the entry fee

If you add my registration number FLYJR3Z4PT I also get £2 refunded.

Also entered the

Brighton Phoenix 10k Weds 15th July
Brooks 10k Sunday 15th Nov

Waiting for the Mince Pie run in Peacehaven to open & The Brighton Half to complete my 12 months of running events, plus the odd Hove Park Run.

Will look to do one of these if fixtures suit for next season

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Thought I'd squeeze in one more 10k before summer - Frimley Park Hospital 10k - and am hoping that reverting to a road race will help me improve on my time from Clandon last weekend (should be less horseshoe shaped divets to avoid! ).

Having gone sub 20 minutes for 5k I really want to get closer to 40 minutes for 10k than 43:33!

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
First triathlon today - serious jelly legs when first off the bike and ran off in the wrong direction! Just nudged under 20 minutes for the run though.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Couldn't run on Sunday at all as my wife was away till late so had a roast instead. Got up at 5.30 this morning instead and did an 8 miler along the beach, beating my previous time on exactly the same loop by 2 minutes.

This is normal behaviour right?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here