Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FTSE100 is 10% higher than 1 month ago

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
What were you saying?

CnUyD7ZW8AEnJbW.jpg

Just before you posted the graph, I was saying we can't measure success or failure yet.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Article on bloomberg channel saying that Brexit has actually been a damp squib on the markets and many on the pro remain doomongers side are seeing their reputations shattered.

Britain will see long term prosperity whilst the Eurozone is an absolute basket case. Spain and Portugal are about to be hit by mass austerity which is being imposed on them by the EU. This will cripple the private sectors investment hopes.

Many Investors will switch from iberia and the southern European states to the relative safe haven of the UK.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Interesting. Do you have a link?

Interesting. Do you have a link?
No, Sorry EL P i do not have a link.

Bloomberg channel around 6.15pm and interestingly another similar American investor was repeating this on RT news channel about 7.30pm.

Investors have been hanging on to 80% of their gambling cash since Jan 16. The American elections is causing more long term concern than Brexit.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
The "everything is just rosey" brigade won't mention the markets today, because they're slightly down.
Is it the end of the world to drop a bit? No. But does a slight rise mean the underlying economy is fine? No.
The more post-referendum information that comes out, the further they will gradually slide. Some days up, some days down. But heading south.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The "everything is just rosey" brigade won't mention the markets today, because they're slightly down.
Is it the end of the world to drop a bit? No. But does a slight rise mean the underlying economy is fine? No.
The more post-referendum information that comes out, the further they will gradually slide. Some days up, some days down. But heading south.

Petrol is creeping up a little too, this will be a death of a thousand cuts, lots of little negatives slowly all mounting up and snowballing. The answer, apparently, is to be positive and hope something turns up.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Petrol is creeping up a little too, this will be a death of a thousand cuts, lots of little negatives slowly all mounting up and snowballing. The answer, apparently, is to be positive and hope something turns up.

What is unique to Britain's association with the EU which makes our economy so successful as opposed to say Spain, Italy Greece and others that have a closer cultural, historic and geographical link with the EU than us, wheres this magic bullet that seems in your mind to work for us but quite obviously isnt then transferred to other countries that have a closer union with it ??

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
What is unique to Britain's association with the EU which makes our economy so successful as opposed to say Spain, Italy Greece and others that have a closer cultural, historic and geographical link with the EU than us, wheres this magic bullet that seems in your mind to work for us but quite obviously isnt then transferred to other countries that have a closer union with it ??

Please re-phrase that and come back to me.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal

Yeah, the Nice terror attack and the return of the oil supply glut seem to have hit market sentiment today (although the FTSE 100 has recovered much of it's early drop) despite the good news from China overnight. Still, the trend in all major markets since June 24th continues to be UP. Are you looking at the charts upside down?

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia

Did you really expect that the price of petrol would keep on falling ?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

petrol will go up less this month due to the £/$ rate change, than it did in the previous months due to oil price increasing (up about 50% since Feb lows)

My electricity supplier has just announced a 7 per cent increase. Don't know if related.

It's related to seasons I think. Put prices down in spring when the days get longer and warmer, put them back up for Autumn when the nights draw in and it gets colder.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
In my business our major competitor has just announced a 7.2% increase in prices due to the currency weakening. I suspect we will do the same as the hit we have taken against the dollar translates to £1.8m off our bottom line. Given that the products we sell then are sold on to end users, I would expect that to translate to 12-15% increase in prices.

Most manufactured products are priced in dollars so I would expect this to be the case across many industries. While this in theory aids local manufacturers the fact is in a lot of market sectors there is no longer a UK option. I fully expect to see a jump in inflation and a rise in interest rates in the medium term otherwise inflation will become a problem again IMO.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Oliver Letwin admits that "we do not have trade negotiators",

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-uk-leaves-the-eu-36802756

I heard the interview, why would he have 'trade negotiators' on something that previously didnt need negotiating (well we did do but they were employed by the EU to negotiate on their behalf), what do you want 'trade negotiators' parked up next to the RAC up the top of Woodingdean just in case waiting for the call ..........

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I heard the interview, why would he have 'trade negotiators' on something that previously didnt need negotiating (well we did do but they were employed by the EU to negotiate on their behalf), what do you want 'trade negotiators' parked up next to the RAC up the top of Woodingdean just in case waiting for the call ..........

It's another small pointer to the difficulties involved, still, something will turn up apparently.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
It's another small pointer to the difficulties involved, still, something will turn up apparently.

Whats difficult about recruiting suitable personal to effectively negotiate trade deals, firstly the British 'trade negotiators' working within the EU will inevitably be freed up, getting deals done seems to me a lot easier than being treacherous to your friends and colleagues and back stabbing and double dealing within the political system, it seems they are expert at that yet cannot be trusted negotiate a favourable environment where we can sell our goods and services to Germany and France and we will buy their stuff too.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Whats difficult about recruiting suitable personal to effectively negotiate trade deals, firstly the British 'trade negotiators' working within the EU will inevitably be freed up, getting deals done seems to me a lot easier than being treacherous to your friends and colleagues and back stabbing and double dealing within the political system, it seems they are expert at that yet cannot be trusted negotiate a favourable environment where we can sell our goods and services to Germany and France and we will buy their stuff too.

If you read the article you would have noted the part... "Trade negotiators who are Brits at the moment are basically working for the EU."

It would be up to them whether they switched to working for the UK", he said.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
If you read the article you would have noted the part... "Trade negotiators who are Brits at the moment are basically working for the EU."

It would be up to them whether they switched to working for the UK", he said.

I listen to the whole interview, I stated that we have some working for the EU do you honestly think that they are the only group of people that have the necessary skills to devise a reasonable plan of action ??

We can now dip into a whole raft of people with skill-sets that can represent our own trading priorities rather than just a few within a group that then represent an area of 28 member states.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here