Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
See why Gerrans worked for Matthews at Branbanste Pijl - perhaps he didn't want big Phil to take the mick out of him twice in one week :lol:

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Gerrans was to the front of the Peleton for the last 40km. Hardly call that being negative. He made his move and was shot after that.

That's why Jelle Vanendert rode right past that group of 3 riders into second and they couldn't go with him. :thumbsup:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Gerrans was to the front of the Peleton for the last 40km. Hardly call that being negative. He made his move and was shot after that.

That's why Jelle Vanendert rode right past that group of 3 riders into second and they couldn't go with him. :thumbsup:

Well then he didn't ride very intelligently then did he.

Had the same numbers as BMC at the pointy end of the race and look what they did with what they had.

Sorry, take more than that to turn me into a Gerrans fan.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I watched much of that on FF.

Naturally I had more than half an eye on Garmin.
They seemed to start the Sky role, which GreenEdge finished off.
I was a bit gutted Nav didn't get into that 40km break, as that was the move I wanted.
He's never going to be able to push on in the last 5kms.

As said 1066, AVV has carried on his 'form' from the Worlds.
'Well I'm going to sit here, and if nobodies going to carry me to the win, I'm certainly not going to do anything that might help others'.

Nice move by BMC to soften up MK at the start of the Cauberg, great stuff by Pip to finish it off.

I've now got to stop myself betting on us winning 26-0 tomorrow in order to have some pennies for Wednesday.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

Had the same numbers as BMC at the pointy end of the race and look what they did with what they had.

I'm with 1066, although Gerrans is nowhere near the whinging tool that Evans is, he is quite annoying at times.

To be fair though, that Gilbert move was difficult for anyone to go with - a new record for the cauberg (1.23).

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I watched much of that on FF.

Naturally I had more than half an eye on Garmin.
They seemed to start the Sky role, which GreenEdge finished off.
I was a bit gutted Nav didn't get into that 40km break, as that was the move I wanted.
He's never going to be able to push on in the last 5kms.

As said 1066, AVV has carried on his 'form' from the Worlds.
'Well I'm going to sit here, and if nobodies going to carry me to the win, I'm certainly not going to do anything that might help others'.

Nice move by BMC to soften up MK at the start of the Cauberg, great stuff by Pip to finish it off.

I've now got to stop myself betting on us winning 26-0 tonight in order to have some pennies for Wednesday.

Exactly! Poor Greenedge tatics with what they had, and Gerrans and AVV are one and the same rider. Get all they deserve.
None of that should detract though from superb BMC tactics and good win for Gilbert as a result.

Having said all that, AVV at Roma Maxima this year working with little Pozzivivo was a totally different rider and a pleasure to see.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

Gerrans isn't as good a rider as Gilbert is the simple explanation. Gilbert's record speak for itself.

If Gerran's third place wasn't much good then anyone behind him must be a real scrub of a rider :lolol:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'm with 1066, although Gerrans is nowhere near the whinging tool that Evans is, he is quite annoying at times.

To be fair though, that Gilbert move was difficult for anyone to go with - a new record for the cauberg (1.23).

Yes, just read about that Cauberg record. Impressive stuff! He certainly loves that climb! The old one two with Sammy Sanchez was a masterstroke.

Kwia really needed a stronger team (didn't help when he shouldered Tony Martin into a hedge at about 40km to go :lol:) and better legs. Then we would have had a race because he has more about him in terms of desire than Gerrans and AVV put together.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I'm still perplexed by Gerrans being negative when he made a move to try and make the winning break, Gilbert counter attacked and he couldnt go with him.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Gerrans isn't as good a rider as Gilbert is the simple explanation. Gilbert's record speak for itself.

If Gerran's third place wasn't much good then anyone behind him must be a real scrub of a rider :lolol:

'Tis a fair cop. Someone said earlier about Zubeldia abandoning, something along the lines of - "don't worry, he'll still be fine for another anonymous 8th palce at Tdf". It's funny because it's true, but how many riders would give their right arm for a Top Ten Tdf spot.

I also don't know why I speak ill of Gerrans as apparently he speaks highly of me :lol: But he is annoying to watch nonetheless :p

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'm still perplexed by Gerrans being negative when he made a move to try and make the winning break, Gilbert counter attacked and he couldnt go with him.

Simples...unintelligent riding again :p

To be honest I think Gilbert's move was so strong, perfectly timed and such a team tactical masterstroke that no one could live with it anyway. It's just the way Gerrans along with AVV are so happy to sit up so soon to preserve a sprint for a podium spot time and time again rather than go shit or bust for one last attempt to go for the win. If you haven't got the legs, you haven't got the legs, but it's the repetition of this scenario that gets so frustrating to many fans.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Simples...unintelligent riding again :p

To be honest I think Gilbert's move was so strong, perfectly timed and such a team tactical masterstroke that no one could live with it anyway. It's just the way Gerrans along with AVV are so happy to sit up so soon to preserve a sprint for a podium spot time and time again rather than go shit or bust for one last attempt to go for the win. If you haven't got the legs, you haven't got the legs, but it's the repetition of this scenario that gets so frustrating to many fans.

I mostly agree with you 1066 but the points system has a lot to answer for. Your value is dependent on it and podiums mean points.

Glanders

Mar 12, 2012
Not sure I agree about Valverde being a negative rider - much as I dislike him, his murky past and all that which they represent, I don't see him as negative. As one tiny example, he looked pretty aggressive in the Basque Country and I can't see how someone with his palmares can have got it all by watching and wheel-sucking?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Kwia really needed a stronger team (didn't help when he shouldered Tony Martin into a hedge at about 40km to go :lol:)
The fella standing there clearly wasn't German/a TT enthusiast/an OPQS supporter.
He looked like World Champions fall at his feet every day.

I'm not a AVV fan, in the same way I'll never be a Contador fan.
His performance in the World's certainly make it easier to stick the boot in now.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yet another Net App Fuji 650c on ebay, from the Midlands!!
It is the Sora, carbon forked one, but this is all very odd.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
If this is referring to my ride yesterday (I did manage a cat 2 climb) then I feel honored to have got a mention. BUT I must hasten to add that although i did complete the climb I was most definitely in granny gear on my triple from bottom to top!

That said if anyone fancies some fairly serious alps style climbing but in the UK then head to North wales. With 2000 metres of climbing over 97km of riding and including a cat 2 and a cat 4 it was pretty good fun yesterday and quite possible to rack up much more if you're a serious hill climber.

I've been using GG a bit lately. Whatever it takes.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Looking at that NSC Geeks club on Strava...whatever happened to [MENTION=2878]Woodchip[/MENTION]? I know he moved to the other side of the world and all, but they do cycle there. I mean, Jack Bauer!

And [MENTION=25389]Jay Cartwright[/MENTION]. Did he stop cycling?

I'd been thinking that too.

Well done on the ton. I could only sneak out Friday, bu planned a longer ride tomorrow. Rain might stop that.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I'm off out with fellow L2B participants tomorrow. My mate has put the slicks on his mountain bike and the three of us are going to do a 42 mile loop!

I've allowed 4 hours so as not to dishearten him before the big day!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
after all the help you have all given so far. Can anyone recommend a helmet bracket for a camera?

i have a mount for my handle bars and recorded most of a ride down the devil's dyke yesterday but as you can imagine it was rather bumpy so i wanted to try out the camera on my head. Any ideas? please
Oh yeah I forgot at the time...

...you're taking the piss now :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here