Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Unknown chemical "haze" over Sussex coast

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I was around Polegate during the evening yesterday and it felt a bit like when you're really tired and your eyes are dry. I rather suspect a lot of those who took themselves to A&E probably needed nothing more than a quick wash of their face and to stay indoors for a bit (those vulnerable because of breathing disorders excepted, obviously).

If that was indeed a terrorist attack, I don't think it achieved much beyond increasing the share price at Optrex.

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
I was around Polegate during the evening yesterday and it felt a bit like when you're really tired and your eyes are dry. I rather suspect a lot of those who took themselves to A&E probably needed nothing more than a quick wash of their face and to stay indoors for a bit (those vulnerable because of breathing disorders excepted, obviously).

If that was indeed a terrorist attack, I don't think it achieved much beyond increasing the share price at Optrex.

Comes across as a test run to me. (If in that way related)

I would like to know what the hold up is identifying the actual gas? There must be more than enough sources to examine over the past couple of days to confirm precisely what the mist was. Yesterday, Sussex Police and the emergency services confirmed it was chlorine, yet today "East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service say “extremely unlikely” that it was chlorine,"

48 hours on and still no confirmed source? (in 2017 with all the tech we have at disposal)

Call me paranoid but something is definitely not right...

Last edited:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Comes across as a test run to me. (If in that way related)

I would like to know what the hold up is identifying the actual gas? There must be more than enough sources to examine over the past couple of days to confirm precisely what the mist was. Yesterday, Sussex Police and the emergency services confirmed it was chlorine, yet today "East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service say “extremely unlikely” that it was chlorine,"

48 hours on and still no confirmed source? (in 2017 with all the tech we have at disposal)

Call me paranoid but something is definitely not right...

I don't know of any environmental laboratories that would be open on a bank holiday weekend.

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017

Didn't the Barcelona attack start with an explosion at a property outside the city. No-one thought that was a threat until it was too late.

I am not saying that this was terrorists for one minute but until the cause is found, an open mind is surely the best option for the police.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
I blame it on the Boogie.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The coastguards are checking the shipping that passed through the Channel.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/15499755.Calls_for_investigation_into_mystery__haze/

European industrial units have previously been to blame but studies of Sunday’s weather indicated this was not the case, the Met Office said.

Graham Howson said he noticed a large ship about four miles off the shore coming in to Shoreham Harbour from the east emitting a trail of mist at about 1pm.

The 48-year-old, of Worthing, said: “I think it was a dredger and it had this thick, gunky yellow fog coming out of the back of it.

“It stood out for me because it was out of the ordinary as the mist was not dissipating, it was just lingering behind.

“When I later heard about the haze I tried to phone the police on 101 to tell them what I saw but was on hold for half an hour. They later told me they weren’t investigating and to speak to the coastguard.”

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Didn't the Barcelona attack start with an explosion at a property outside the city. No-one thought that was a threat until it was too late.

I am not saying that this was terrorists for one minute but until the cause is found, an open mind is surely the best option for the police.

Oh dear.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Birling Gap beach: Shipwreck 'could be to blame for mist'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-41130937

The chemical cloud that caused a Sussex beach to be evacuated on Sunday might have come from a shipwreck, the coastguard agency has suggested.

Part of the East Sussex coast was engulfed by the cloud and about 150 people were treated for breathing problems, stinging eyes and vomiting.

The Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) said emissions from the area's many shipwrecks might be the cause.

It is also investigating discharges from passing ships or lost cargo.

Birling Gap beach was evacuated after people began suffering unexplained symptoms from a "mist" that descended.

In the past, chemicals have drifted across from European industrial units, but Sussex Police said weather models suggested the source was unlikely to have been in northern France.

The MCA said in a statement: "As part of our investigations we are considering a number of possibilities, such as discharges from a vessel, previously unreported lost cargo, and emissions from known shipwrecks.

"We have identified approximately 180 vessels that passed through the English Channel off the coast of Eastbourne on Sunday.

"We are working with all relevant environmental and public health regulators to conclude these investigations. We have no further information at this stage."

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I'm not exactly 'Mr Conspiracy theorist' - but this one stinks in more ways than one. Seriously, how can they possibly not have identified the source by now? Sounds a lot more like someone doesn't want to say what it was.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
This has happened before many years ago.
A fog appeared at sea and any ships that sailed into it mysteriously exploded.
It was eventually sorted out by International Rescue.
Thunderbird 2 (pod 4) discovered the cause and resolved the problem.
Why the hell was a message not sent to them this time.
I'm furious.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here