Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Well done to those who stayed and clapped the team off.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
You should have come prepared and brought a sick bag, as for agreeing to attend a family Christmas do ON A MATCH DAY.
You should be ashamed of yourself you JCL Plastic.
Don't come again when we're winning .
:whistle: Bad fan and a bad father :lolol:

:lolol:

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I have never ever left a game early however badly we have been playing, although sometimes it's tough to find a reason to applaud the team at the final whistle. Yesterday I stayed to the end and applauded the team. We played poorly and were beaten by the better team, but what a season so far!

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
In response to those who say there is no point congratulating a team for losing badly, even at the end of a good run..... I remember a night in 1983 when the team lost badly to end a long cup run. Nobody left early and after the game we sang and sang and sang. We sang "WE'RE PROUD OF YOU!" I stayed yesterday and applauded the team. It just seemed the right thing to do after a fantastic run and this makes me laugh because I'm as plastic as they come. Spurs first Brighton second. How did you guys get from the spirit of '83 to here?

Really...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Couldn't see too much to stay and applaud yesterday, in the same way that players give the fans a perfunctory clap at the end of the match. Like the team, I take one game at a time and I chose to go early yesterday, the days of blind faith to overpaid, over egoed and non committed players has long gone. The only constant is us the fans, we shout for each other, sing for each other and cheer for each other. Players and managers come and go, but we remain fans. lets not kid ourselves the players are here for the money and we are here to occupy our free time in the search for entertainment.
I left early because I had better use of my time yesterday, the modern game demands it, I will criticise, shout, complain, applaud, jump up and down as I so wish, but as I am the one parting with my money, I will do as I wish and be answerable to no one.

For me it wasn't yesterday, more of a 'half term report' type thing. Just a bit of recognition for what they have done since August, been a hell of a ride so far. FWIW I don't think we've got many (any ?) with big egos and no commitment either (compared to many teams). That said, we've all (well, most of us who aren't Uber fans) got stuff other than the Albion in our lives so people need to live and let live and stop being critical of what others do.

leo.eyles

May 7, 2015
I stayed to the end of all our awful performances last season because my son won't let us go early even if I wanted to. Left on 85 yesterday because he was feeling sick and I had to rush straight to a family Christmas do. Hope that's ok with everyone? [emoji106]
You should give him a proper lunch not chips and maltesers. #badparent

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
In response to those who say there is no point congratulating a team for losing badly, even at the end of a good run..... I remember a night in 1983 when the team lost badly to end a long cup run. Nobody left early and after the game we sang and sang and sang. We sang "WE'RE PROUD OF YOU!" I stayed yesterday and applauded the team. It just seemed the right thing to do after a fantastic run and this makes me laugh because I'm as plastic as they come. Spurs first Brighton second. How did you guys get from the spirit of '83 to here?

I did likewise, couldn't get a ticket for the final, but was there at the replay. That was then, players stayed with clubs longer, players were still mere mortals, the likes of wardy were kicked around the pitch but never went down feigning injury, ripping the fans off with time wasting, wages were more in touch with the rest of us, players genuinely associated with the fans, players were never courted by the media and an afternoon out at the Goldstone was not an arm and a leg.
Now we have players interested in maximum pay for minimum effort, we've seen the bridcutt and buckley withdrawal of labour and will probably see it again, time wasting from our own players feigning injury when we're losing (Lua Lua), lack of effort, over inflated skill levels and a desire to move on to the next club who will pay more. Back in 83 you were 33 years younger than you are today, the world was seen trough rose tinted spectacles. The game has changed massively in those years and so has my view of the game, along with many others. I am a Brighton fan and a Brighton fan only, but I know deep down that the players are just hired in mercenaries who have no allegiance to the fans or the club other than to the payment they receive in return for their efforts.
Your living with an outdated set of ideals and a schoolboy view of football. Its a big money making circus from pundit to player and beyond and we are the ones paying for it. If you think we are the only fans in the country thinking like this, just take a look at the empty seats at many premiership matches. I'm Brighton til I die, but if I've had enough I'll leave early and that is exactly because I am Brighton til I die, not some idealistic so called football fan blindly accepting second rate entertainment.

CoachVealie

Sep 19, 2011
[MENTION=3357]brighton[/MENTION]Mod. You're right, I do have an idealistic view of stuff like this. I am very attached to Brighton (and I can't do anything about falling in love with my 1st team when I lived in London as a kid). I view support of my team(s) like a marriage.....for better, for worse, etc. if they **** up you still have to support them, surely! I stood pretty much on my own in my block in the North Stand in 2011 after FFS Murray! and just sucked it up. It's moments like those that make the St Patrick's day massacre so worthwhile!!

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
It was obvious well before the end that we were not going to get anything from this match so 80 mins was more than enough,there are more things in life than football so move on to the next interest

KT17

Apr 19, 2014
It's funny that this thread comes up today. I had a conversation with a guy at the match who made a snarky remark about people leaving early and how they aren't "real fans". I asked him how long it took him to get to games - it turns out he lives 10 minutes away. I promptly got up as 90 minutes showed on the clock and left, informing the "real fan" that I better get the bus so that my 2 hour journey home didn't become a 3 hour journey as I waited for the Mill Road bus queue to die down. I hope the extra two minutes of the game made him feel mighty up there on his high horse.

I also hope that he enjoyed the pints he went for on the 40 minute mark... In hindsight I'm going to enjoy my part time tag if that's the alternative.

2 hour journey home? Out of interest, where do you reside?

KT17

Apr 19, 2014
I took the OP comments as a genuine statement of pride at the response from the fans who chose to stay at the end to cheer the team.

It was a special moment at the end of a very disappointing game.
I was proud of the response too. I had no objection to people leaving early/at full time. I don't think it proves how good a fan you are.

It was just a really positive gesture and something all fans should be proud of whether they were able to be part of it or not.

This

KT17

Apr 19, 2014
It reminded me that despite all our success we still only have a hard core support of about 10,000. When things go wrong a lot of the new plastics just **** of. I looked around at the end and recognised a lot of Withdean faces. Shame on the new plastics, sort your lives out.

Giraffe maybe I'm what you call a new plastic, first game 1980 but season ticket only since Falmer, I stay to clap the team.

So when you say 'Shame on the new plastics' do you mean me?

(and I live in KT17 if that makes a difference...)

RSVP

KT17

Apr 19, 2014
I felt, that after such a great run, clapping them off after a heavy defeat which obviously hurt the players as much as us was something I wanted to do, I care not if other people decided to hurry home before the end. Each to their own.

This

KT17

Apr 19, 2014
This kind of nonsensical post got me thinking. For those who deem necessary to rank fans perhaps we need to be more analytical. We need to devise a points scoring system that we can then rank everyone against and then pay due reference to those at the top.

It could cover as a way of illustration
1. Number of seasons tickets held in the past (5points each)
2. Season ticket holder at Withdean (extra one point to 1. Above)
3. Season ticket holder at Priestfield (extra 5 points to 1. Above)
4. Always Arrive early and be in seat before teams enter pitch (5 points, all dedcucted of ever comprimised)
5. Always stay to calp team off (5 points, but same penalty as above)
6. Only been to one match (-10 points)
7. Go to away matches (plus 0.01 point per game)
8. At Hereford game (plus 5)
9. At Newcastle game 1979 (plus 5)
10. Intricate knowledge of the pie scene at the Amex (plus 1)
11. Survived a burger at the Withdean (plus 1)
12. Etc

Cock!

KT17

Apr 19, 2014
I left as the added time board went up. For this, I wholeheartedly apologise and prostrate myself before those whom I have upset by my action. I am obviously not worthy of calling myself a Brighton and Hove Albion supporter.

Fair do's, but more information required...

KT17

Apr 19, 2014
I think this is a really important thread. We've arrived at a tipping point of the most amazing season. Everything now has to support our campaign to make the automatic promotion slots. That means at owner lever, at director level, at club level, at player level and at fan level, and even at ''plastic fan" level we have to play our part.

If we truly hope to go up the tw..ts around me in ESL, and similar bods all around the ground, who shuffle their sorry arses out of the stadium on or before the final whistle, could learn how good supporters are meant to be. Of course, some have to go, but the majority don't IMHO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here