Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

West Ham target Dunk as Reid replacement

Cullip4

Oct 4, 2003
Brighton
West Ham have already signed Reid's replacement though so not sure why this is rumbling on? Doneil Henry £3m Canadian international centre half

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
All clubs with a productive academy system has to work on the basis that a percentage of the successful products from the academy will be sold on, and that encourages others to join, as they CAN see a path to the 1st team and see no blockers to moving on.

Therefore, if we get a fair offer, we would be wise to accept, ensuring we get the usual sell on clauses etc. If Dallison & Rae are good enough they then enter the 1st team squad and the process moves on. What we need to do is to produce more than just decent Central Defenders though!

Can you see a team of young players getting promotion? There needs to be a balance imo and in the Albion's case we have lots of good old timers at the end of their career and players like Dunk and March getting game time and experience. If we keep selling the young players and replacing them with more youth teamers we are never going to get promoted imo. Sell one or two fine, but we appear to be selling all the feckers at the moment and so far the replacements have been inferior every time. It seems I am in a minority in wanting to hang on to players and build a team, rather than selling all the best ones at the first opportunity. We need a manager that stays more than a season and to hang on to SOME of our best young players.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Can you see a team of young players getting promotion? There needs to be a balance imo and in the Albion's case we have lots of good old timers at the end of their career and players like Dunk and March getting game time and experience. If we keep selling the young players and replacing them with more youth teamers we are never going to get promoted imo. Sell one or two fine, but we appear to be selling all the feckers at the moment and so far the replacements have been inferior every time. It seems I am in a minority in wanting to hang on to players and build a team, rather than selling all the best ones at the first opportunity. We need a manager that stays more than a season and to hang on to SOME of our best young players.
Your last part is very much right, why should a player stay when the manager won't.
Who knows the next fella in might want someone else.

I don't think you're in such a minority, I'm sure we'd all like to keep our local lads and storm the Premier League with them, but that just isn't possible.

The Albion is no longer a 'selling club' in the old skool sense of the word.
It's not like x has to be sold in order to play bill y.

But money talks.

We have to look at Southampton and follow their lead.
Cash in on youth - then generate the next.
Spend the money wisely and hope promotion comes.

I don't imagine LD is going anywhere unless Ulloa money is mentioned, at which point the club has no choice but to sell.
Comfortable in the knowledge it's set up for next Summers dealings while encouraging the next to fill the space.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

I don't think we'll see the true 'balance' until the academy has been up and running for 5 or more years, as we need a period to allow the quality to flow into the club at the younger age groups. We're lucky in a way to have produced some good youngster despite out setup until now. Southampton, as [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] has mentioned is the ideal model - with a constant flow of quality into the squad, and selling a few to boost revenue to allow better players to be purchased where needed.

I'd love us to produce a decent striker - just one would be nice.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'd love us to produce a decent striker - just one would be nice.
Yet we've always been able to turn round centre half's quicker than Sarah Beaney can make 100k from a terraced house in Wakefield.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Well apart from Dunk, who is left? I can't imagine any of the others except maybe March and Walton would be of interest to a Premier Club. .

Given that JFC is now a u21 England regular, and has already played nearly 60+ times in the Champ yet is still only 20 then I'd start there...

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Given that JFC is now a u21 England regular, and has already played nearly 60+ times in the Champ yet is still only 20 then I'd start there...

Apart from the fact that he is awful. Pretty sure no Premiership clubs will be looking at him.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Good point, I did forget him but he's not anywhere near ready for the Premier League yet.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Have a bit of patience, once he has established himself and is a real asset watch how quick we get shot. He is nowhere near Premier League ready yet.
His left foot is.
Although the rest of his body would appear to be proving your point.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
I hope the club say to Dunk (and to West Ham or any other club) that he's going nowhere during this window. He still hasn't played a full-season of regular first team football yet so I hope Albion stand firm. The summer may be another matter.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
For all the reasons that we will find it hard to bring in quality new players in this window I don't think we should let him go. Secure our champ status with his defensive and attacking ability and offload him in the summer if the price is right

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here