Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Good old British Fish and Chips

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Fish and chips in Brighton leaves a lot to be desired, especially for a seaside town. You're better off getting a nice Smokie from the Smoke House rather than traditional fish supper.

Best proper fish suppers I've had were in York and in Weymouth. Both about half the price and about 4 times the quality and you get a lot for your money. Plus they don't charge for slapping a bit of sauce on your chips like they do round here.

Brighton:

"Would you like any sauces with our chips"?

"Yes please, ketchup"

Chippy reluctantly hands over a sachet of ketchup roughly the size of a newly hatched hummingbird..

"70p please".

Most other places:

"All the sauces are over there mate, 'elp yerself".

Oct 25, 2003
the best i've ever had was in a small non-descript town called Amble on the Northumberland coast. The town itself is a bit of a hovel but its near to Alnmouth (stunning place), Alnwick and Ashington (where they have a superb mining museum) so if you're ever in the area I'd recommend popping into Amble. Head to the harbour and there are two chippies...instead of the one actually in the harbour, turn right and there is a better, smaller one 100 yards or so down the road. Buy them and head to the quiet beach in front of you to eat them. My mum grew up in this town and my Nana lived there until her death so I have great memories of their fish and chips....they cost **** all and are far superior to anything down here.

Whitley Bayster

Jul 4, 2011
Whitley Bay Tyne and Wear
the best i've ever had was in a small non-descript town called Amble on the Northumberland coast. The town itself is a bit of a hovel but its near to Alnmouth (stunning place), Alnwick and Ashington (where they have a superb mining museum) so if you're ever in the area I'd recommend popping into Amble. Head to the harbour and there are two chippies...instead of the one actually in the harbour, turn right and there is a better, smaller one 100 yards or so down the road. Buy them and head to the quiet beach in front of you to eat them. My mum grew up in this town and my Nana lived there until her death so I have great memories of their fish and chips....they cost **** all and are far superior to anything down here.

I have to agree the North East does Fish and Chips and some. I work above The Waterfront North Shields Fish Quay its won loads of awards and the portions are huge! Fish and Chips back in Sussex have always been sadly disappointing. The food in the village pubs is where Sussex's strength lies IMO some absolute crackers around where my family live in Danehill and Horsted Keynes

HoveSaint

Nov 19, 2011
There is a really, really good new(ish) Fish n Chip shop on Goldstone Villas, just down from Hove station. They do pies as well. Run by people who know what they are doing. If you're in Hove give it a go. Won't be disappointed.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I love fish and chips, but can't stomach batter, literally as it gives me a bad migraine. So it's breaded fish and chips for me from the supermarket. Tartare sauce and some mushy peas not the side.

M&S do an excellent fish and chip pie!

Same here. I really can't stand deep fried batter and yet i love Yorkshire puds. I much prefer breaded food

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
The Dolphin in Seaside Road, Eastbourne as got to be the best 'fish n chip' shop i have ever been too. Large Battered sausage, Savaloy and Small Chips...

Oct 25, 2003
I have to agree the North East does Fish and Chips and some. I work above The Waterfront North Shields Fish Quay its won loads of awards and the portions are huge! Fish and Chips back in Sussex have always been sadly disappointing. The food in the village pubs is where Sussex's strength lies IMO some absolute crackers around where my family live in Danehill and Horsted Keynes

how do you feel about that one in Tynemouth that everyone loves? I went a few times when I was at Newcastle Uni and liked it....still prefer the one up in Amble though

you're right, the North East does generally do chippies really well.....even Newcastle which isn't on the coast is superior to Brighton in my view. I'm generally very fond of the North East so perhaps I'm biased

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
i live in that area and can't think where you mean at all....unless you mean 'fillets' a bit further up past the church?

It is near the 25 bus stop by the Brighton Trades and Labour club there is also a PO and kebab shop near there. Coming from HH I get off the bus at Baker St walk up over the Level to Lewes Rd and turn left to get the 25 for football and it is 50 yds up on the left.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here