Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Great more ads mean less footy.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Along with the quintessential everyman (assuming that 'everyman' means 'shares many characteristics with a potato') Adrian Chiles.

The hope is that they'd see The Football League as beneath them. Only the very highest standard of football is worthy of Townsend, Chiles, Tyldesley etc.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Lot of pressure on the programme makers to edit all the games into a 90 minute show by 9 pm I'd have thought.

Germans have been managing it for decades with Das Sportschau :smile:

One hour from end of the matches to the beginning of the Bundesliga highlights on a Saturday evening.

Better programme than MOTD: no pundits, lets the action speak for itself.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
9pm is good for exposure, not so good for fans that go out or don't have control of the TV Saturdays evenings.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
It would be good if Channel 5 could do a round-up of the midweek games as well, as the highlights used to go awol on the BBC.

A very good point with there being so many rounds of the Championship played midweek.

Never live games shown from the Championship here midweek either - really annoying.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Sounds excellent! Is that in addition to the Beeb's Football League Show or instead of it, anybody know, article in the link doesn't seem to mention it? Would presume it's instead of.
Instead of, the BBC no longer have the rights.

How about Dirty Desmond's Football League Highlights Show sponsored by The Daily Phwoar!!.
fyp

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I can only get C5 on the Freesat box in the kitchen and not my cable boxes which means I'll likely never remember to even record let alone watch this.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Details here

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/may/05/channel-5-football-league-highlights-saturday-9pm

I tend to record the Football League Show and just skip through to the Albion game. So for me, having ad breaks isn't an issue- this just means I might catch the 'highlights' of the game on Saturday night rather than Sunday morning.

I can imagine watching this live, with lots of games you aren't interested in, lots of adverts, and probably shit pundits, will all in all be a pretty painful experience if all you are really waiting for is 90 seconds footage from the Albion game.

Shame it didn't go to BT Sport- they have a pretty good line up of pundits bar a few dull (Owen, Scholes) or just crap (Jake Humphries) examples. The BT European Football show with James Richardson is pretty well done and I think that has alot to do with having journalists as pundits rather than just relying on ex-players..

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
9PM Saturday, Channel 5

New series. Kelly Cates and George Riley present extended highlights of the weekend's opening round of matches, including Sheffield Wednesday v Bristol City and Leeds United v Burnley in the Championship, as well as all the goals from League One and League Two. Plus, a round-up of the main talking points, and interviews with a selection of players and managers

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
According to Virgo it's in a Top Gear, audience interaction, style studio.

Fingers crossed for loadsa bantz.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
So, what’s on the show? Football League Tonight will feature extended coverage of the weekend’s best matches and will include every single goal from all three divisions. Players, managers and fans will be joining Kelly and George in the studio each week and the viewers can also get involved on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

It's on for longer than the Football League Show ever was

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
So, what’s on the show? Football League Tonight will feature extended coverage of the weekend’s best matches and will include every single goal from all three divisions. Players, managers and fans will be joining Kelly and George in the studio each week and the viewers can also get involved on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

It's on for longer than the Football League Show ever was

Why do they feel the need to put fans in the studio and have interaction on social media? Just attracts gimps that are too old to be wearing football shirts asking moronic questions. The pundits struggle to discuss anything noteworthy without resorting to the usual clichés anyway, so why add fans to the mix.

Football highlight shows should be a simple thing, highlights of the match, a few interviews with the key people, pundits discuss, move on to the next thing.

Rant over.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I think this is a case of be careful what you wish for.

The FL league show had a bad press on here at times but that is going to feel like TV gold when we watch Dave from Basingstoke say that Reading have a Top, Top chance of getting promotion this year or Malcolm from Middlesbrough engages in Bantz with Tony from Derby about whether Downing is better than Tom Ince. Who does the market research for this stuff? Soccer AM type football shows have been out of date for 10 years. Gary Neville moving on punditry has been well received all round yet someone comes up with this buffonary. I'm surprised they didn't go the whole hog and get Tim Lovejoy to front it.

The only hope is that it is so bad it's good.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Sky manage an interactive show very well.

Could work.

Even if it doesn't it still shows the goals at a sensible time (if in) . Win win

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here