Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

*TRAIN NEWS* Brighton main line closed tomorrow

TrevorDove

Jan 4, 2004
Brighton
Brilliant. They have eclipsed themselves this time, correct me if I'm wrong but the Brighton mainline is one of the busiest in the country?

Surely, surely there should some sort of urgency/prioritisation to pump the water - you cannot tell me resources couldn't of been diverted to stave off the flooding of the track. Unbelievable.

Southern will be totally inept but with a full day tomorrow not sure what to do. Probably drive to Haywards Heath - a little bit of water won't stop me unlike those twats at Network Rail and Southern.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Still nothing on nat rail so we can plot routes .

Best to get self to littlehampton or get self to brighton for bus .

Hope something up tonight

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Why don't you tell us you're WFH tomorrow? I'm sure we'd ALL love to hear this amazing news......yet again.

Totally wrong yet again away from the UK at present

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Brilliant. They have eclipsed themselves this time, correct me if I'm wrong but the Brighton mainline is one of the busiest in the country?

Surely, surely there should some sort of urgency/prioritisation to pump the water - you cannot tell me resources couldn't of been diverted to stave off the flooding of the track. Unbelievable.

Southern will be totally inept but with a full day tomorrow not sure what to do. Probably drive to Haywards Heath - a little bit of water won't stop me unlike those twats at Network Rail and Southern.

Do you honestly believe they hav'nt been trying everything possible to prevent this flooding?

TrevorDove

Jan 4, 2004
Brighton
Do you honestly believe they hav'nt been trying everything possible to prevent this flooding?

I don't doubt they have tried and I don't doubt the response was late and probably did not reflect the seriousness of the situation as this is the usual way both Southern and Network Rail operate.

And if they have tried "everything" possible then very well done, but they've still failed, and what a massive failure it is too.

Can anyone put into plain English what I need to do to get to London Bridge by 9? Thanks in advance.

Where from?

Sorry that does help!

Hove
On the basis of what Southern were saying at 4.00pm, I'd aim for the 07:00 train from Brighton to Victoria, and get myself to Brighton Station by bus. The number 7 bus runs from Hove Station every ten minutes or so, and takes about 8 minutes, so I would aim to catch the 06:35 bus from Hove Station. Once on the train, change at East Croydon on to the first fast train to London Bridge.

There may, of course, be a train from Hove to Brighton at that time in the morning which would avoid the need to use the bus. Check that out when you get to Hove Station.

From Brighton trains to London Victoria will depart at 06.00, 06.46, 07.00, 08.17, 08.49 and then every 30 minutes at 19 and 49 minutes past each hour until 21.49, then the last departure to Victoria will depart at 23.05

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
On the basis of what Southern were saying at 4.00pm, I'd aim for the 07:00 train from Brighton to Victoria, and get myself to Brighton Station by bus. The number 7 bus runs from Hove Station every ten minutes or so, and takes about 8 minutes, so I would aim to catch the 06:35 bus from Hove Station. Once on the train, change at East Croydon on to the first fast train to London Bridge.

There may, of course, be a train from Hove to Brighton at that time in the morning which would avoid the need to use the bus. Check that out when you get to Hove Station.

Amazing advice thank you LB.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I don't doubt they have tried and I don't doubt the response was late and probably did not reflect the seriousness of the situation as this is the usual way both Southern and Network Rail operate.

And if they have tried "everything" possible then very well done, but they've still failed, and what a massive failure it is too.

It isn't the train companies fault, it's the Government, national and local. I have little time for the train companies, but there are certain things they can control. Flooding isn't one of them, but stopping services so people aren't harmed is.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006

I very much doubt you've got a clue how a company like Network Rail operates or how long they've been working on that section of line or what they've been doing, You just want to have a moan because your journey to work has been disrupted.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
In Valencia, I believe.

A month too early for Las Fallas. You need to plan your travel better.

Went by the bull ring today, closed for a month for renovation not that I am sure I would go. Still plenty of interesting things to do over the next few days and some city bike riding.

TrevorDove

Jan 4, 2004
Brighton
I very much doubt you've got a clue how a company like Network Rail operates or how long they've been working on that section of line or what they've been doing, You just want to have a moan because your journey to work has been disrupted.

I don't have any inside knowledge for sure, however having commuted for 10 years I am fully aware of their working practices - inept would be the best way of describing it, I couldn't comment if they try hard - always seem be standing around smoking fags in gangs of about 20 when I go past them "working" on the train.

As for having a moan, you are probably right. I do find it frustrating that I've got to rearrange my day now due to the incompetence of Network Rail. The frustration will only be doubled/trebled by the no doubt clueless Southern staff directing people in the wrong way.

So in summary, I probably am clueless but as a tax payer and fare payer I expect the trains to run daily. The fact is they are not, and it's just another failure for the clowns at Network Rail and Southern.

Jimmy Come Lately

Registered Loser
Oct 27, 2011
Hove
OK thanks, I'll keep an eye on it. I hope to go straight to Falmer from London Victoria tomorrow evening (i.e. without going home first, I realise there isn't a direct route!). It may be wishful thinking but if I could leave London after 5pm and get to the stadium for 7pm that'd be great. If anybody 'in the know' could post an update on the options for that I'd be very grateful!

For weekday evening games I usually get the 1727 from Victoria to Lewes and make it to Falmer with plenty of time for a pie and a pint (or two). So far Southern have said that London-Eastbourne services should be unaffected tomorrow... which I suspect is why there's a shortage of Victoria-to-Brighton-via-Lewes trains during the evening rush hour. Getting to Lewes (on either a Brighton- or Eastbourne-bound train) seems unlikely to be a problem.

Lewes seems likely to be pretty busy, though, because everyone who would usually go into Brighton and change for Falmer will be forced to change at Lewes instead. I might be tempted to get the diverted 1706 to Brighton and hope that they let it stop at Falmer on the way back from Lewes. If not, getting to Lewes a bit earlier will give a few more options if there are delays or overcrowding to cope with.

Train Spotter

Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I don't have any inside knowledge for sure, however having commuted for 10 years I am fully aware of their working practices - inept would be the best way of describing it, I couldn't comment if they try hard - always seem be standing around smoking fags in gangs of about 20 when I go past them "working" on the train.

As for having a moan, you are probably right. I do find it frustrating that I've got to rearrange my day now due to the incompetence of Network Rail. The frustration will only be doubled/trebled by the no doubt clueless Southern staff directing people in the wrong way.

So in summary, I probably am clueless but as a tax payer and fare payer I expect the trains to run daily. The fact is they are not, and it's just another failure for the clowns at Network Rail and Southern.

So, how do you expect Network Rail to deal with water coming up through the ground? Rip up the tracks and insall waterproof barriers? This is a once in a 250 year event! If you want to blame someone try that bitch Thatcher, she tried to screw the railways just like she did the miners!

I trust you are aware that smoking is prohibited on any Network Rail land! If you think we are all clueless take the bus! See how long that takes you!

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006

Have you not considered the reason workmen appear to be standing around when you go past them is they have to stand clear when a train passes? Unless of course your expecting them to carry on working as the train goes over the top of them?
As for your claim of incompetence that's just plain daft, Surely everybody understands if a line becomes unsafe then you have to stop running trains on it? Surely incompetence would be running trains on an unsafe line?
If the bad weather had just been affecting rail travel I could understand some of the moans but it's been affecting all modes of transport.

TrevorDove

Jan 4, 2004
Brighton
So, how do you expect Network Rail to deal with water coming up through the ground? Rip up the tracks and insall waterproof barriers? This is a once in a 250 year event! If you want to blame someone try that bitch Thatcher, she tried to screw the railways just like she did the miners!

I trust you are aware that smoking is prohibited on any Network Rail land! If you think we are all clueless take the bus! See how long that takes you!

The NR website states they were pumping water a couple of days ago using pumps - so I don't know, maybe get some more pumps?

We could probably go into many reasons why NR has failed, years of under investment being one. I'm sure they are very interesting but they don't help with the here and now.

As for no smoking, I am fully aware railway land is no smoking - which makes it all the more amazing to see the workers smoking.

Probably drive all the same tomorrow, at least that's in my hands.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here