Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Dame Kelly Holmes was at Orpington Parkrun this morning, and I chose this week to go to Bromley instead!

She came second. If I was the guy who came in first, I'm not sure if I'd feel chuffed or guilty...

She ran at Preston Park back in March, and she came 15th (she wasn't even the fastest woman...)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
A 23.17 5k for me this morning, slightly hampered by road crossing and on a route that finishes uphill. Still, to go quickly I really need other people to race. For me that was an ok training run but it was a full minute off my PB.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
http://brightonsports.co.uk/the-weakest-link-relay-run

Looks like we just turn up Wednesday evening. Course appears to climb up the cliff above the Marina which is a **** of a climb.
So last call for [MENTION=3736]Mr Banana[/MENTION], [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] and [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION]. What about 6:45 in the car park at the end of Volks Railway? I know Bobkin and Ninja so no problem meeting them. For you I will take one of the Brighton flags from the Sheffield Wednesday game and tie it to my rucksack so you can find us.

Right heard from the full team. The Relay is on. I'll get along for 6:30.
My thought on legs to be taken is Bobkin, knocky latest time 21:15, Banana , Ninja (strongest link). This is based on recent times and to get the best team time.
If anyone wants to change I don't mind being last runner but would rather not and our time would suffer as well as me.
See you there boys and cheers [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] for finding the event.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Go Team NSC. Good luck, sounds like a fun event. Maybe next year we enter a couple of teams.

Managed a couple of gentle 10ks in Toulouse over the weekend. Brilliant trip to the Euros culminating in seeing the Wales game last night.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
A 23.17 5k for me this morning, slightly hampered by road crossing and on a route that finishes uphill. Still, to go quickly I really need other people to race. For me that was an ok training run but it was a full minute off my PB.

I wouldn't worry about that, I've never got close to my pb outside of a parkrun - other people kind of drag you along.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
My thought on legs to be taken is Bobkin, knocky latest time 21:15, Banana , Ninja (strongest link). This is based on recent times and to get the best team time.
If anyone wants to change I don't mind being last runner but would rather not and our time would suffer as well as me.
See you there boys and cheers [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] for finding the event.

Great. See you there. Had a nice easy 3.5-mile run in 30 mins this morning. Worthing parkrun last Saturday was 22:10, but I should be able to pull out all the stops for tomorrow night.

The fifth leg should be interesting – I'll try not to hold you speed demons up too much!

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Had a great run this evening. Nothing to get excited about time wise but just enjoyed being out there on a stunning evening without any aches or pains. Managed to run under the canopy of trees that covers the old railway line which kept me in the shade but did mean I was hoovering up plenty of midges on the way. No need for tea tonight.

Good luck to all those running tomorrow(?).

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control

Nice. I essentially look like what would happen if someone tried to draw a cartoon of a more sinister version of the Child Catcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang but got it disastrously wrong. I'll try to find you.

Maybe the slowest runner should basically pace everyone else for the last leg? :dunce:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Nice. I essentially look like what would happen if someone tried to draw a cartoon of a more sinister version of the Child Catcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang but got it disastrously wrong. I'll try to find you.

Maybe the slowest runner should basically pace everyone else for the last leg? :dunce:
ARE YOU NICK CAVE?

Should spot you! My lookalikes are more confusing. Tabitha from Bewitched, Glenda Jackson in the 70's, one of Bronski Beat early 80s, Max Headroom mid 80s, early 90s was a difficult time going between Jasper Carrot, William Hague and an ambulance driver in Casualty, and now a Knocky, old, bald man only differentiated from similar aged NSC users by being skinny rather than fat.

I'll take the Brighton flag just in case!

Last edited:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
ARE YOU NICK CAVE?

Should spot you! My lookalikes are more confusing. Tabitha from Bewitched, Glenda Jackson in the 70's, one of Bronski Beat early 80s, Max Headroom mid 80s, early 90s was a difficult time going between Jasper Carrot, William Hague and an ambulance driver in Casualty, and now a Knocky, old, bald man only differentiated from similar aged NSC users by being skinny rather than fat.

I'll take the Brighton flag just in case!

Good luck. Looking forward to reading the match report.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
All good fun running the NSC Weakest Link relay. Mr Banana failed to touch base so we recruited a spare 17" 5K Arena 80 runner for the last leg. Non timed event and hard to switch on a Garmin whilst touching hands for relay switch over. Two steep climbs put a lot on the time too. Other teams mainly Arena 80 , Hove Hornets, the Fit Bitches and a few Phoenix. Last leg seemed to be run with [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION], myself and [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] all running same pace. Once they stopped talking! I'll leave them to comment on that. So the relay order and respective rest given seemed to be spot on. Our man who ran two consecutive legs supported us all during the team leg and kept us in touch. He won't want to run with us again though!

Nicest moment was our team taking out the team of the Hove Hornet's Boss. YES that man that [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] found had me on his Facebook page after the Brooks 10K as a bedraggled runner. Talked to him since and he is a great bloke. When we took them with a mile to go, he rallied his team " Don't worry about them, too fast, too early, we'll catch them on the run in" So gave them some verbal and they said " We are the Hornets you'll see the sting in our tail" They tried hard to keep up but we stuffed them on the run in. That's the sort of running I like.

A few teams next year NSC. I forgot to say the weather was rather inclement.

Last edited:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
All good fun running the NSC Weakest Link relay. Mr Banana failed to touch base so we recruited a spare 17" 5K Arena 80 runner for the last leg. Non timed event and hard to switch on a Garmin whilst touching hands for relay switch over. Two steep climbs put a lot on the time too. Other teams mainly Arena 80 , Hove Hornets, the Fit Bitches and a few Phoenix. Last leg seemed to be run with [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION], myself and [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] all running same pace. Once they stopped talking! I'll leave them to comment on that. So the relay order and respective rest given seemed to be spot on. Our man who ran two consecutive legs supported us all during the team leg and kept us in touch. He won't want to run with us again though!

Nicest moment was our team taking out the team of the Hove Hornet's Boss. YES that man that [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] found had me on his Facebook page after the Brooks 10K as a bedraggled runner. Talked to him since and he is a great bloke. When we took them with a mile to go, he rallied his team " Don't worry about them, too fast, too early, we'll catch them on the run in" So gave them some verbal and they said " We are the Hornets you'll see the sting in our tail" They tried hard to keep up but we stuffed them on the run in. That's the sort of running I like.

This pretty much says it all. Really good fun despite those zigzag hills up from the Marina.

I think we put in a pretty good performance and certainly seemed to be ahead of a lot of the other teams. Weather on the last leg was minging and I think it got worse after we'd finished so God help the poor sods who were still out there!

I had legs of 11.27 and 11.15. Arena Matt certainly helped drag us all around the last lap, although [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] seemed to be trying to get away from us most of the lap!

Really good fun though. Deffo up for it next year.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012

Ha, nice payback. Sounds like good fun. I'd be up for having a go next time round if needed. Good running NSC 3 plus 1

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly

Sounded like good fun...If you're in need for anyone next year, count me in.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Ha, nice payback. Sounds like good fun. I'd be up for having a go next time round if needed. Good running NSC 3 plus 1

Certainly. We ran as a team, like Iceland currently play football. Next time we should get a few teams together and should try to make them evenly matched to get a bit of competition between us.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Must add that for the final team leg the teams have to run over the line holding hands. This makes the fun.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Great work from the NSC 3, sounds a fun event and barring injury would love to be involved next year.

I'll hopefully see you all again for the Phoenix all being well, I'll likely use it as a recovery run rather than full tilt. I'll be full tilt in the pub after instead.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here