Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vydra

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
:lolol: You really do post some utter nonsense. Two goals in 23 league appearances this season. Highest he's ever got in a single season - 20.
Yeah. He might even be better than Zlatan.

Isn't it a well rehearsed cliche on here to declare that strikers, re. baldock, should not be judged on goals alone? I'm impartial either way, just pointing out the double standards.

Personally I thought Vydra looked dangerous and I felt alot more comfortable after he had been substituted.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This reads like the actual facts are being jumbled around.

I wonder how those giving Vydra a hard time feel he would have played this season off Hemed/Zamora, with our plethora of wingers?

I was really impressed with him, again, as he shone out in a team of slow lumbering giants.

It's hard not to think Vydra would have filled his boots had he being playing for the Albion.
If that were the case £2m would seem like a bargain just for the goal difference, alone.

He looked like a square peg in a round hole.
Reading wasted £2m on him because on last night performance they clearly didn't have the structure in place to play him.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
This reads like the actual facts are being jumbled around.

I wonder how those giving Vydra a hard time feel he would have played this season off Hemed/Zamora, with our plethora of wingers?

I was really impressed with him, again, as he shone out in a team of slow lumbering giants.

It's hard not to think Vydra would have filled his boots had he being playing for the Albion.
If that were the case £2m would seem like a bargain just for the goal difference, alone.

He looked like a square peg in a round hole.
Reading wasted £2m on him because on last night performance they clearly didn't have the structure in place to play him.

If I was new to the country, seen my first game, I honestly think I'd be picking Baldock in my side ahead of Vydra on last nights showing. Vydra plays for himself, whereas Baldock created chances and space for our wingers and the goal for Wilson, Vydra looked dangerous, but invariably just ran into our centre backs every 10mins. That was panic stations in and of itself, but actually had he been releasing the ball, could have caused us far more problems. I was surprised when he went off for them, but actually he bought no one else into the game from his team.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If I was new to the country, seen my first game, I honestly think I'd be picking Baldock in my side ahead of Vydra on last nights showing. Vydra plays for himself, whereas Baldock created chances and space for our wingers and the goal for Wilson, Vydra looked dangerous, but invariably just ran into our centre backs every 10mins. That was panic stations in and of itself, but actually had he been releasing the ball, could have caused us far more problems. I was surprised when he went off for them, but actually he bought no one else into the game from his team.
That's my point.
I didn't see anyone on that team even close to Vydra's wavelength.
Based solely on that 90 minutes I'd say Reading's recruitment policy was words to the effect of:-

'Right we've got 10 lumps, I guess we better get a nippy one'.

Vydra working with any combination of our wingers, strike partners and full backs, would be blooming lethal

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
He looks a good player in a bang average team, and was easily their best player last night.

I just have something of an aversion to loan players anyway, as more often than not they just go through the motions because they know they are only passing through. Not ALWAYS of course, there have been plenty of exceptions, but I'd say we see more bad than good.

Taking a player on loan from a Premier League club and dropping him down to the Championship, I'd have wondered about his attitude, motivation and how he would react to that. Its a gamble, and its exactly what we've done with James Wilson of course, but then we haven't had to throw a non-refundable £2,000,000 fee at Man Utd for the pleasure. If Wilson had turned out to be complete khazi then we could just cut our losses wagewise and send him back.

Reading invested quite heavily in Vydra, and whilst I wouldn't go as far to say they got lumbered, its not exactly been a roaring success has it. Or maybe they DID get lumbered, I dunno. I've only watched him for an hour this season.

theroyal

May 11, 2014
Nope, it hasn't. It was a gamble that didn't quite pay off, but these things happen. Without hindsight, would you guys have taken the same deal back in August?

It's worth saying we made the money back from the sale of Hector, Blackman and Sa (combined £6-7m in sales) so it's not quite hit us as hard as it might have.

theroyal

May 11, 2014
No. £2 million for a LOAN is just throwing money away imo.

But - hypothetically of course - he had scored 20-25 goals (which he is more than capable of, as you know) and sealed promotion and a huge Premier League payday for you in that one loan season, then the gamble was worth it.

It didn't work out that way, but it was a gamble.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I thought it was £3m for the loan + they pay his wages for the season???

theroyal

May 11, 2014
I don't actually know what the fee was, lots of figures being thrown around, nothing official from either club, so it could even be bollocks

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
But - hypothetically of course - he had scored 20-25 goals (which he is more than capable of, as you know) and sealed promotion and a huge Premier League payday for you in that one loan season, then the gamble was worth it.

It didn't work out that way, but it was a gamble.

If we'd paid £2,000,000 for James Wilson plus wages, but he's not our player at the end of the season and just goes back to his club, then the ONLY way that pays off is if he fires 20-odd goals and we go up. Huge gamble, and not worth the risk IMO. Even if you've got a decent striker who bags you 20 goals, it still doesn't do much to guarantee promotion. It helps, but its a long way from sealing it. And that's £2m just written off. No resale, just written off.

I guess your owners can afford it, as could ours I suppose. Just doesn't seem the wisest way to do a deal IMO, when you very likely get absolutely nothing at the end of it.

Apr 30, 2013
It's grim oop north
To be fair early days Reading were flying, like when we played them away. It could well have paid off big time. If they can afford it its a worthy gamble. Still wonder how he would have doe had we landed him - very well in our team id say

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
In fairness to Reading, based on Vydra's performances for Watford (significant caveat: playing with Forestieri and Deeney) I always felt he could do a job for us too - but not at £3m + wages for 1 season.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I thought he looked dangerous and was very pleased to see him subbed and yes I wish we'd signed him because I think he would have worked very well in our system. Who knows we might even be top of the table if we had signed him :shrug:

He would certainly have added to our strike force which has been misfiring a few times this season.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Based solely on that 90 minutes I'd say Reading's recruitment policy was words to the effect of:-

'Right we've got 10 lumps, I guess we better get a nippy one'.

Hector, Williams, Robson-Kanu, Obita, John, McCleary, Hurtado, Piazon, Fernandez, Tshibola. 10 lumps? Don't base your judgement solely on one performance!

theroyal

May 11, 2014
I guess I have to disagree, if he does bag those goals then for me the loan fee was worth it. It does depend how you look at it, too, though. How much do you think Vydra would've cost to buy permanently on, say a 3 year contract? More than £6,000,000 I'd say. So in twisted sort of logic, £2m for 1 year makes sense. It's just a short-term gamble which hasn't paid off.

But Reading invested with a very short-term mindset this season thanks to Clarke who promptly tried to bugger off to Fulham when it started going wrong, it wasn't just Vydra who came in on loan, we have six season-long loanees. SIX. It hasn't worked out, which is unsurprising. Almost all of them have underperformed, which is why we are languishing in 15th. Just goes to show!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hector, Williams, Robson-Kanu, Obita, John, McCleary, Hurtado, Piazon, Fernandez, Tshibola. 10 lumps? Don't base your judgement solely on one performance!
Definitely, I did have to quickly edit in that caveat on my previous post.

Then again, none of them are turning into Murphy, Knockaert, March, Kaz, Bruno and Bong anytime soon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here