Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton shirts - plain v striped

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
A friends mum stitched the badge on, no club shop selling kit in those days

If it was a badge stitched on, it was probably more like this then... as modelled by Norman Gall

bookoffootball-3v2.jpg

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Or a Peru style blue sash over a white shirt.

Mmmm, yes, please! I also do wonder how well diagonal stripes would work all away across the shirt too. Might look quite snazzy.

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester
I was listening to a podcast about football kits the other day and there was some good industry knowledge there.

They were talking about Spain, England, France shifting to one-colour kits during WC/Euro seasons.

Equally, apparently, Nike and Adidas are generally pushing clubs to 'simplify' kits as they are more appropriate for the way in which we digest football these days, i.e. dodgy streams online and thumbnail pictures.

Don't take this the wrong way, but Albion aren't a club where changing the stripes would cause a considerable protest. Apparently Southampton are returning to stripes next season, but as similar clubs, I would not be surprised if our new kit deal also coincides with a dropping of the stripes for a little while.

Also, I'm sure I read on The Goldstone Wrap that Bamber dropped the stripes as they represented the old 'amateur' days of the club. It was in an old programme I think.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Or a Peru style blue sash over a white shirt.

A bit too, er, Crystal Palace?

As for an Ajax-style single stripe, it would have to be with white shorts. The monstrosity we sported in the first season at Gillingham was moving in that direction, but with blue shorts it looked dreadful.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
A bit too, er, Crystal Palace?

As for an Ajax-style single stripe, it would have to be with white shorts. The monstrosity we sported in the first season at Gillingham was moving in that direction, but with blue shorts it looked dreadful.

Yeah that would be the one downside of the Peru shirt.

A single, thick Ajax style blue strip with white shorts and white socks would look lovely.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Return to striped shorts :lol:

Oh my God, no. Made us look a laughing stock. We have had some truly terrible strips in our time, that red-and-white 'Chewitts' wrapper away shirt we wore in the 91 Play-Off final, which looked pink from the stands, was the absolute pits. It also had 'NOBO' emblazoned across the players' chests.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
For me (first game 1966) the old 'Arsenal / Sheff Wed' style shirts ARE the proper Albion shirts. As has been mentioned I think it depends when you first went. I also really liked the plain white shirts (with blue trim) that followed. However I didn't like the plain blue 'British Caledonian' ones in the early 1980s.

I'd love us to ditch the stripes and go back to proper shirts (by my definition), however they wouldn't be 'proper' nowadays; they'd have flashes, patches, stripes, etc added and removed every few years so that the mug punters, sorry, 'loyal supporters' who splash out forty-odd quid every year for a bit of nylon can continue to be fleeced.

And back in the 1960s I don't think 'greed' entered into it, there were no commercial reasons for changing shirts in the days before sponsorship and the replica shirt market.

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
Blue and white is sacrosanct for me - the stripes are optional. This having been said, haven't we always sometimes referred to ourselves as "the Stripes"? As in the phrase Mark Lawrenson was the best player ever to wear the stripes.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I started supporting the club in the early 80's so would not be too upset if we went to an all blue top but I like the stripes.

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
It's Odd Borre, the Norwegian entrant in the 1968 Eurovision Song Contest.

hqdefault.jpg

I had to double check to see if you were calling a previous poster an "Odd Borre" or if it was in reference to the photo. Good likeness though :) How the hell did you find that match?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I don't hold with all this blue and white stripe nonsense. It's for the JCLs.

Nor do I hold with the plain blue shirts.

let's go back to our proper roots and get back into the colour that we used to play in. Let's go back to GREEN.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Yep....strangely as I am usually a traditionalist, this kit was my favourite.

Same here. I love the stripes but never got more excited about an Albion kit than this one. I think it was down to the fact it was Adidas and completely unique.... I think.

Oh and I was 12 at the time!

Attachments

• terryconnor86.jpg
    terryconnor86.jpg
    394.3 KB · Views: 277

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here