Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Indietracks Festival / all things C86 and indiepop!

SicilianHungary

Dec 5, 2015
This thread is my new home! So happy to see The Mary Onettes a few pages back, their first album is my favourite, but Hit the Waves was also good.

My taste is more American indiepop, but that's not deliberate! DIIV are one of my top favourites in the genre, looking forward to their new album out next month.

A band I'm loving at the moment are Sunflower Bean, I'm seeing them in Brighton next month. They also have a new album out, everything they've released so far has been good.

I was really big into The Wake's Here Comes Everybody one winter, and would be very keen to buy the Captured Tracks Vinyl reissue. Such a sad and heartbreaking album, but that's its beauty.

I also recommend The Death of Pop, from London. Been around three years, but I got into them in the summer. Gardens is their latest tune.

Flex Your Head

Football sucks :eek:(

There's a German shop on ebay who'll sell you the new album on vinyl. dodax-uk

Excellent - I'll check them out. Thanks :thumbsup:

when I awoke (3hrs ago needing a piss) I had this song in my head for no reason other than it is excellent.

the benefits of a dodgy prostate and exquisite taste
That's my favourite ever Heavenly track, I think. Although it could be Cool Guitar Boy. Or Sort of Mine. Or Boyfriend Stays the Same. Actually, it's probably C is The Heavenly Option. They're all bloody wonderful to be honest.

I've just heard Courtney Barnett's latest on the radio and its detailed look at domestic life reminded me of this classic from Grant Hart:

I love that song. I think I was one of the 12 people over here who bought the album. I actually got asked to turn it off once when I played it in the Virgin stockroom. That only happened two other times; Septic Death and The BMX Bandits 'C86' LP.

This thread is my new home!

Great to see a new face on the thread, and thanks for the tips. I always get round to listening to the stuff posted on this thread, though sometimes not till a lot later. So, keep 'em coming.

Flex Your Head

For what it's worth, I've really enjoyed the recent albums by Finnmark!, The Ethical Debating Society, The Fireworks (obv), Fever Dream, Colleen Green, Bunnygrunt, and one or two others, but my favourite has been Silver Bullets by The Chills.

Actually, I really should have included The Legends, Tyrannosaurus Dead, The Luxembourg Signal, Pinkshinyultrablast, and the terrific Dog Legs, and doubtless several more. I really like this gentle gem too:

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Really really enjoying the Expert Alterations stuff on Bandcamp. "The Past And You" is particularly splendid. If the P&P from USA wasn't so ridiculous I'd have ordered stuff already. Brutalist architecture in their band pic too - sweeet!

View attachment 71270

I did a bit of Googling and came across one of the most poorly written and inaccurate descriptions I've ever read. They sound nothing like this:

"The Baltimore band streamlines the hard straightforward rhythm of a group like Bauhaus, fuses in some deadpan vocals, and through small and unwavering chord changes à la The Strokes, utilize guitars that do a lot of important melodic leg work. All of this results in an ominously jovial sort of indie-pop that can be comfortably juxtaposed with almost any band falling on the relatively diverse (sonic) spectrum, but a kind that can’t be so easily put into a box."

Truly shocking piece of writing.

I can do better than that. "They sound a bit like the McTells". There you go

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove

Classic. Robert Forster has changed a bit- here is a snap I took at Oxford last month. image.jpeg

And of course he does a great version of 2541. There's even a you tube video of Grant Hat and Robert Forster playing it live as a duet at a festival a couple of years ago

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Loved loved loved The Popguns, Line & Circle and Pure Morning! I'm here to stay!

This thread has actually inspired me to create something for the 30th anniversary of C86, but with modern indie-pop bands. I simply call it Cassette 16.

This tune is one of my current favourites, thanks to Spotify.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCrCZqFb240

Welcome to the forum/thread SH. Are you a BHA fan? Not that it matters - all are welcome. Quite liked that - 7/10. Enjoyed the middle 8, I can believe you are a Mary Onettes fan!

What do we think of Hinds? I'm considering getting tickets for their Brighton gig, but I'm worried it will coincide with me having to stay late at work, so could be dodgy.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Welcome to the forum/thread SH. Are you a BHA fan? Not that it matters - all are welcome. Quite liked that - 7/10. Enjoyed the middle 8, I can believe you are a Mary Onettes fan!

What do we think of Hinds? I'm considering getting tickets for their Brighton gig, but I'm worried it will coincide with me having to stay late at work, so could be dodgy.

Thinking of going to Hinds too. I worry that it will be a very young crowd though.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Fun C86/indie pop night at Spellbound last night. Lots of classics played Temptation, Trumpton Riots, Therese to name but three. Always nice to have a bit of nostalgia tinged with the sadness of it being 30 years ago - where did that go?

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
What a great song Therese is. I only ever saw The Bodines live once and that was in The Salis Benny Hall in Grand Parade. I think The Mighty Lemon Drops were playing the same night but not totally sure. What I do remember is that it was very loud.

Flex Your Head

What a great song Therese is. I only ever saw The Bodines live once and that was in The Salis Benny Hall in Grand Parade. I think The Mighty Lemon Drops were playing the same night but not totally sure. What I do remember is that it was very loud.

I was at that but remember finding both bands a wee bit insipid. Did Pop Will Eat Itself play that night too, or was that another Mighty Lemon Drops gig? Hmmm...

I keep thinking of / finding stuff to post on here, but never seem to have enough time. But for now, this is all kinds of ace.

https://thenymphets.bandcamp.com/

A Bartlebees cover thrown in too - what more do you want?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here