Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Sam Baldock 'Saga'

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Higher division. Head turned. Can't concentrate. Difficult. See: Buckley, Will.

Exactly how Warren described Baldock as being like Buckley, when he watched him last week. If we do sign him, I hope a lot of the posters here remember what they said about Buckley's attitude.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
No one on the Wing?

Exactly how Warren described Baldock as being like Buckley, when he watched him last week. If we do sign him, I hope a lot of the posters here remember what they said about Buckley's attitude.

WA said he looked disinterested* at Bristol. From my brief research they are slower versions of Buckley, both Agard and Baldock. Speed of Hoskins, roughly. (* doesn't mean anything much, I cannot see how attitude can be deduced from performances).

If Pilkington went for £1 million (cheap), I can't see how Baldock is worth as much?!

I don't think he would be a bad signing though. He might turn out to be quite good?

Last edited:

May 18, 2013
WA said he looked disinterested* at Bristol. From my brief research they are slower versions of Buckley, both Agard and Baldock. Speed of Hoskins, roughly. (* doesn't mean anything much, I cannot see how attitude can be deduced from performances).

If Pilkington went for £1 million (cheap), I can't see how Baldock is worth as much?!

I don't think he would be a bad signing though. He might turn out to be quite good?

So, according to WA he was very interested in the game but didn't mind who won. I would imagine that would have upset his team mates.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
Even if another club are interested, we need to pull our fingers out and spend out to get a couple of permanent strikers if we are to really show the ambition TB talks about.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
So, according to WA he was very interested in the game but didn't mind who won. I would imagine that would have upset his team mates.

Not the point I was trying to make. My thinking is that it is a player looks disinterested he may be trying just as much as usual and may be a cool customer as opposed to a hothead. I'd sooner a player that runs for the balls he can get rather than chasing around like a blue-arsed fly.

I have no idea if Baldock is actually any good or not? I would be looking for aspects of his play like running to the near post etc. I think we signed a few players under Poyet that were not researched properly. It looks like we have stopped taking a gamble with players. A lot of reputed players have deficiencies in technique like not being able to pass let alone shoot with their weaker foot.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Pffft. Wind your neck in, Cotterill. It's common knowledge that the Albion never tell anybody they're in for players, that's why everyone gets twitchy, because we don't know what's going on.

I was under the impression that Baldock's agent had made it public knowledge, at least initially.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Not the point I was trying to make. My thinking is that it is a player looks disinterested he may be trying just as much as usual and may be a cool customer as opposed to a hothead. I'd sooner a player that runs for the balls he can get rather than chasing around like a blue-arsed fly.

The strict meaning of disinterested is not having a vested interest in the outcome; the only person on a football field that should be disinterested is the ref. He was being pedantic, but hey, every day's a school day!

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Ice Cool & Deadly

Some of the best technical players in the world never look really interested (at least to the fans). They are just cool customers, thinking of Shearer, Gerrard, and in the past Jimmy Greaves, and nearer to our standard, David Nugent.

Sometimes players look like taking it easy e.g. Brazil team in the past. I never believed. Just subjective opinion of how it appears.

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
Some of the best technical players in the world never look really interested (at least to the fans). They are just cool customers, thinking of Shearer, Gerrard, and in the past Jimmy Greaves, and nearer to our standard, David Nugent.

Sometimes players look like taking it easy e.g. Brazil team in the past. I never believed. Just subjective opinion of how it appears.

even our own League One Berbatov!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Listening to that interview, he's gone. Maybe not to us, but he won't be at Bristol City come 1st September.

Funny fella Steve Cotterill. I used to really like him when he turned out for us, but in management, he comes across as a bit of an arse...

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Listening to that interview, he's gone. Maybe not to us, but he won't be at Bristol City come 1st September.

Funny fella Steve Cotterill. I used to really like him when he turned out for us, but in management, he comes across as a bit of an arse...

I think it's pretty well established that Steve Cotterill the manager is a c**k of the highest order. He knows he's going somewhere and is throwing his toys out of the pram.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
He's prob ballsh1tting to get us to up our bid.

Rather just wait until January and take him for around 750K-1M. Similar strike rate to Barnes. Similar age too.

- 178 games, 66 goals in league one, 2.69 games per goal (Baldock).
- 21 games, 5 goals in the championship, 4.2 games per goal (Baldock).

- 50 games, 22 goals in league one, 2.27 games per goal (Barnes).
- 142 games (about 33% are sub), 29 goals, 4.89 games per goal (Barnes).

Barnes also played a lot of championship games on the wing.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
He'll be gone by 01st Sept for (a guess) 1.5m including add ons. Maybe not to us but to someone in the Champ, Leeds could be the other interested party, they missed out on Agard so are looking for a similar striker.

Apparently we have so far put in 6 bids for him, and only the last bid was not derisory!

Last edited:

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

Exactly my thoughts, he's trying to flush out other interest to drive the price up. It sounds to me like we'll go nowhere near their valuation but we reckon that if no one else gets involved we can pick him up cheap closer to the window closing.

All of which makes me think that Baldock isn't our main target, I think he's someone who we've seen potential value in, that if we can pick up for around 1 - 1.5 m would represent very decent business.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here