Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

so who will we sign next

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Why would we want to sign him?
I think we're more likely to sign David Van Day.

Why would we want to sign him? Is that a trick question? Our ENTIRE style of attacking play relies on fast aggressive wingers running at sides and getting in the box. We currently have two of those fit and thats not enough for me.

Between them KLL, March and RVLP have been our spark this season, and our three defeats on the bounce came when all three we're missing and we were playing Crofts there. We need backup for Knockaert and KLL, and RVLP fits the bill perfectly.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Why would we want to sign him? Is that a trick question? Our ENTIRE style of attacking play relies on fast aggressive wingers running at sides and getting in the box. We currently have two of those fit and thats not enough for me.

Between them KLL, March and RVLP have been our spark this season, and our three defeats on the bounce came when all three we're missing and we were playing Crofts there. We need backup for Knockaert and KLL, and RVLP fits the bill perfectly.

I'm obviously missing something, I count KLL, Knockaert and Murphy. RVP doesn't do anywhere near enough work to get into a Hughton team long term, he clearly liked tackling less than he liked passing to a team mate, and he clearly hated doing that.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
I'm obviously missing something, I count KLL, Knockaert and Murphy. RVP doesn't do anywhere near enough work to get into a Hughton team long term, he clearly liked tackling less than he liked passing to a team mate, and he clearly hated doing that.

Well, I don't count Murphy as that kind of player, he doesn't drive at defenders. RVLP's loan felt very much like a trial with us, and two goals, assists, did he not pass the test?

if not RVLP, it has to be someone. KLL can't be relied upon to stay fit, which means we coulkd be only a Knockaert ban or injury away from being impotent again. Seems pointless for the cost of a RVLP.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Well, I don't count Murphy as that kind of player, he doesn't drive at defenders. RVLP's loan felt very much like a trial with us, and two goals, assists, did he not pass the test?

if not RVLP, it has to be someone. KLL can't be relied upon to stay fit, which means we coulkd be only a Knockaert ban or injury away from being impotent again. Seems pointless for the cost of a RVLP.

He sure started out ok, but he then demonstrated himself to be one of the most greedy, indecisive footballers I've ever witnessed. I think it's a tad harsh to completely dismiss Murphy, though I agree he's not a direct aggressive winger, seems to me he's more effective when he's running through the channels rather than bombing down the flanks. I'd genuinely be surprised if we went after another winger, Baldock can play wide in a 4-3-3 which is a formation we could utilise with our current squad, especially now our CM's consist of Kayal, Stephens, Sidwell and Crofts.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

It could be we view the young winger from Norway, that we want, is adequate as 4th choice ( currently fit ) winger, and Rosenior, when he is back, could fit in again as right midfield.

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
As has been said on this thread already, I think it's got to be the choice of two strikers who are at present disgruntled at their individual clubs...

Peter Crouch or Glenn Murray.

Both are good with their feet but extremely good at heading the ball into the net which we presently do not have. We need to carry more of a threat at corners and generally with any dead-ball situation, especially now we have Knockaert who will deliver some great balls into the box.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
He sure started out ok, but he then demonstrated himself to be one of the most greedy, indecisive footballers I've ever witnessed. I think it's a tad harsh to completely dismiss Murphy, though I agree he's not a direct aggressive winger, seems to me he's more effective when he's running through the channels rather than bombing down the flanks. I'd genuinely be surprised if we went after another winger, Baldock can play wide in a 4-3-3 which is a formation we could utilise with our current squad, especially now our CM's consist of Kayal, Stephens, Sidwell and Crofts.

he scored or assisted in three of his five games, but sure, I'm not saying he's a first choice starter, nor am I commenting on his defensive prowess, nor am I meaning to talk down Murphy or Rosenior who bring different things to the table.

I'm just suggesting that the recent run of performances has highlighted how much our successful style of play that gave us 21 unbeaten games depended upon aggressive wingers who drove at defenders, could beat them inside or out and aimed for the box as much as the touchline. I'd be interested to see a stat to see how many of our goals involved KLL, March or RVLP as scorer or provider, I imagine its a very high percentage. Its also no surprise that we've turned a corner since Knockaert arrived.

I'd like a backup, although I must admit that this Norwegian lad mentioned has passed me by completely

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
According to Hughes, back in December, Crouch is going nowhere : http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...l-not-be-sold-in-January-transfer-window.html

That's that then, he'll be ours by the end of the week :)

In all seriousness, from a base of zero inside info and 100% guess work, I really could see this happening. He'd bang in goals for us at this level with decent service from Knockaert, KLL and Murphy, and give us an option we currently don't have. Comes across as a proper down to earth bloke too, willing to always give 100%, and I for one would be delighted if he came to us. Could well be the key to the door to automatic promotion.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
As has been said on this thread already, I think it's got to be the choice of two strikers who are at present disgruntled at their individual clubs...

Peter Crouch or Glenn Murray.

Both are good with their feet but extremely good at heading the ball into the net which we presently do not have. We need to carry more of a threat at corners and generally with any dead-ball situation, especially now we have Knockaert who will deliver some great balls into the box.

It may just be me but, for someone his size, I don't think Crouch is all that when it comes to headers. He's not someone you think of as dominating the area

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
It may just be me but, for someone his size, I don't think Crouch is all that when it comes to headers. He's not someone you think of as dominating the area

I know what you mean by that. I also used to call him 50 pence piece head at Liverpool because he seemed to miss a lot of easy headers.

However, at this level I think he'd score more headed goals than anyone else in our team ( that wouldn't be hard to be fair ) and like Zamora he knows exactly where the goal is and where to be for the tap ins. I'm certain that with the right service he'd get plenty of goals for us.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
We need a very good striker. There, i've said it

We do and if I were in charge I would be putting in a cheeky bid for Arouna Kone at Everton and would even take a chance and give him a 3 year deal. I don't think it will happen but he would be my choice given where we sit at the moment on the cusp of PL

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here