Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes, The Latest: Ashley Barnes Signs for Burnley *Confirmation*

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Gutted. Finding a player for a million or under who offers what Barnes does is going to be a very difficult task.

True.

But....

What if there is a 2 million pound striker we want, but can only afford 1 million?

Then the 1 million? for Ashley Barnes makes up the money to make the deal possible.

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
Good job your not a chairman then, that valuable is way below, £1.5 - £2 million is what I reckon Barnes is worth even as a raw striker.

He's worth nowhere near that with his contract up at the end of the season, we will wait and see what the fee is I suppose but would be shocked to get 1 million for him.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
True.

But....

What if there is a 2 million pound striker we want, but can only afford 1 million?

Then the 1 million? for Ashley Barnes makes up the money to make the deal possible.

No point criticising transfers until the window is done, imo. We can only tell what was a good deal and what wasn't by the squad we have come 1st February.

Sep 27, 2011
Bodmin, Cornwall
I have thought Barnes has been an unsung hero of the team for a while now and don't want to see him go but surely if he's not going to sign a new contract then it's time to cash in while we can.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Jones quoted that Solly March has been unlucky not to feature more so perhaps he has impressed enough now to push for a start if Barnes does depart , he is a different type of player of course but certainly did not look out of place v Reading .

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
No point criticising transfers until the window is done, imo. We can only tell what was a good deal and what wasn't by the squad we have come 1st February.

Even then you won't have an accurate picture until new signings have settled in and shown their true worth.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
BBC Sussex just reported that swap deal for Barnes with Ings coming the other way :shrug:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I had hoped the club might've learned from the Murray debacle. Perhaps not.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
This thread has just reminded me of the one for Lopez when he refused to sign a contract and the club was criticized for not doing more. OK we did reach agreement and what have we got from Lopez since he returned ? Well not what we expected or have needed for sure.

As to Ashley, he is definitely what we need at the moment BUT is he what we need for two further seasons under a lucrative contract ? I feel this colours the situation rather and will be why a deal MAY be done at £1 millon or so. Burnley may go that far if nothing else works for them.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Even then you won't have an accurate picture until new signings have settled in and shown their true worth.

Agreed. We are basing an awful lot on speculation at this point.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here