Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
Cigarettes After Sex report.

Two support acts

First one a boy girl, drum guitar pair who I would guess have an uncle that likes Tanya Donelly and an older sibling who likes early Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs.
Second one sounded like Morcheeba but with a bass player who clearly wants a fretless bass so he could sound more like Mick Karn.

I did look at their names but have forgotten them as they were both somewhat forgettable and indeed both somewhat forgettable but it was good to see decent attendance for both the supports.

Cigarettes After Sex themselves were decent. Something of a one trick pony but it's a good trick. A lazy comparison would be that they sound like Damon & Naomi or Beach House trying to cover "Tears are in your eyes' by Yo La Tengo without the harmonies. I do not consider this to be a bad thing. Rather woozy. A couple of the songs were introduced as new material and demonstrated a bit more range. If I do The Great Escape this year I'll definitely look to see them again.

£7 on a Sunday night, can't knock it.

terrible name for a band

I thought it was a pretty decent gig, like you said CAS only seem to have 1 gear though. I think they could do with working on their stage craft a bit too. The bloke with the pink flamingo jumper looked somewhat uncomfortable, when he didn't have a key to press he just stood there awkwardly scratching his chin. Thought he could do with a mac book up on stage as so many "musicians" do these days. At least he could check NSC between bits, to fill his time.

I quite liked the second band babeheaven.. Now if we are talking about terrible band names.. the irony wasn't lost on me. The front girl had a very good effortless voice.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I thought it was a pretty decent gig, like you said CAS only seem to have 1 gear though. I think they could do with working on their stage craft a bit too. The bloke with the pink flamingo jumper looked somewhat uncomfortable, when he didn't have a key to press he just stood there awkwardly scratching his chin. Thought he could do with a mac book up on stage as so many "musicians" do these days. At least he could check NSC between bits, to fill his time.

I quite liked the second band babeheaven.. Now if we are talking about terrible band names.. the irony wasn't lost on me. The front girl had a very good effortless voice.

Think pink flamingo man needs to check out the other bloke in Sleaford Mods who has nailed the roll of not doing much on stage.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Wire in Lewes tomorrow

Strange venue for them to play.

Seeing them (for the 5th time in 5 years!) in Bath tomorrow night.

Like the awesome Killing Joke, Wire have definitely not mellowed or got softer with age; no sentimental love songs or acoustic ballads for either of them!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Saw Savages and Bo Ningen last night. Bo Ningen were brilliantly bonkers and enthusiastic as usual; they really bring a smile to my face. I love them. Savages have grown since I last saw them about two, three years ago. The last time they were menacing and made you feel on edge. They've softened a bit, added dynamic to their set with the new songs and are morphing into more of an alt-rock band. Jenny Beth especially is noticeably moving into more traditional front woman territory. And yes she did her Iggy thing (she ended up a few feet from me). A great and surprisingly mixed crowd and Berghain and their soundsystem is a perfect venue. I really enjoyed it all.

The Berghain phone police were in full effect; strict instructions to not take photos as always (they didn't put stickers on phone lenses this time though) and a number of people were nabbed and made to delete images or leave.

I also met and had quite a long chat with the Bo Ningen singer; and absolutely charming friendly guy brimming with enthusiasm and gratitude. The world really does need more bands and people like them.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

pcol

Nov 1, 2010
if after radiohead tickets and have bought tickets previously, check your junk email folders for a pre-sale link email

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here