Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Saw Charlottefield numerous times, and even play their albums every now and again. I taught Steve once upon a time too, and particularly liked The Projections.

You should probably see a Sweet Williams show sometime, nothing they've recorded comes close to the sound they create live though. The Projections are actually playing again this weekend at the Brighton Electric 15th birthday party. Don't know if this means they are going to be playing more often.

Steveapps71

May 9, 2011
Brighton land
Hi, thought I would post on here as true fans of music are on here!
Nathaniel Rateliff Monday 7th March @ Concorde which is sold out....I'm still going with my lady but I have 2 spare tickets to sell
at face value (£30 for pair including booking fee).....I want cash on the or pay for them by bank transfer & the person would have to meet us
outside the venue at 8pm...if you 100% want them please direct message me..cheers up the albion

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just got back to my bed in Hamburg after seeing Joanna Newsom. She was astonishing. She's much more powerful live than on record. Seeing her work her harp and contort to hold notes was quite mesmerising. The audience was in silence throughout. Her voice takes on a different quality live as well, seems a bit smoother. The Divers track had the hairs on the back of my neck on end.

She also had to retune her harp numerous times due to two new strings. This led to some amusing Q&A sessions, she's quite smart and witty. Ended the night in the Rattsherrn craft brewery tap. a wonderful evening.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Hinds last night.

My goodness.

Patterns (used to be Audio, the Escape) is an excellent venue. I stood at the back, but that was still close to the stage, and it was terraced, so a good view was had by all. Shape wise it is similar to Sticky Mike's, view wise it most certainly is not.

Public Access TV were pretty good really, then the main event.

It was enormously entertaining. Chaotic at times, with the girls chatting to each other quite a lot between songs, and at one point one of the guitars stopped working for a few minutes - "my guitar is broken and I don't have a spare. Has anyone got one?" But my word, they enjoyed themselves and so did the audience, which seemed to excite the band quite a lot. It was a brilliant atmosphere.

Their music - I like it a lot, and they played it with energy and enthusiasm. Glad I saw them there, they are destined for bigger things.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Saw Daniel Land + band at The Sebright Arms, Bethnal Green. My first time at that venue. Situated in a moderately rough part of town but seemingly occupied by every hipster in a five mile radius.

Great gig for those of a Shoegaze/Dreampop persuasion. A generous sprinkling of 6/7 minute songs starting out oh so smooth before ending up in a right old lather.

Nice!

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
I can no longer make Bill Ryder-Jones on Wed night & am somewhat gutted.
After a record breaking number of missed gigs last year due to unforeseen circumstances this is my first miss of 2016.
Don't you hate it when real life gets in the way?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Hinds last night.

My goodness.

Patterns (used to be Audio, the Escape) is an excellent venue. I stood at the back, but that was still close to the stage, and it was terraced, so a good view was had by all. Shape wise it is similar to Sticky Mike's, view wise it most certainly is not.

Public Access TV were pretty good really, then the main event.

It was enormously entertaining. Chaotic at times, with the girls chatting to each other quite a lot between songs, and at one point one of the guitars stopped working for a few minutes - "my guitar is broken and I don't have a spare. Has anyone got one?" But my word, they enjoyed themselves and so did the audience, which seemed to excite the band quite a lot. It was a brilliant atmosphere.

Their music - I like it a lot, and they played it with energy and enthusiasm. Glad I saw them there, they are destined for bigger things.

Hinds played at Patterns! I really have not got my nose to the ground at the moment at all. They are definitely on the way up. Saw them at Glastonbury last year and they were fantastic.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Don't the ATP organisers do this with most of the festivals they organise though?

There have been some historical issues yes! Which is why I'm not particularly disaffected by this one, I knew I was asking for trouble, I was lulled into a false sense of security by their last few events passing without trouble and the line up being staggeringly good.

ATP are saying it's not cancelled. My money is on a change of date and/or venue.

I have considered that it could be me that has prompted this, given the last thing I had tickets for was cancelled.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Cigarettes After Sex report.

Two support acts

First one a boy girl, drum guitar pair who I would guess have an uncle that likes Tanya Donelly and an older sibling who likes early Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs.
Second one sounded like Morcheeba but with a bass player who clearly wants a fretless bass so he could sound more like Mick Karn.

I did look at their names but have forgotten them as they were both somewhat forgettable and indeed both somewhat forgettable but it was good to see decent attendance for both the supports.

Cigarettes After Sex themselves were decent. Something of a one trick pony but it's a good trick. A lazy comparison would be that they sound like Damon & Naomi or Beach House trying to cover "Tears are in your eyes' by Yo La Tengo without the harmonies. I do not consider this to be a bad thing. Rather woozy. A couple of the songs were introduced as new material and demonstrated a bit more range. If I do The Great Escape this year I'll definitely look to see them again.

£7 on a Sunday night, can't knock it.

terrible name for a band

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Front Line Assembley, the Garage Islington, March 14. Really looking forward to this. I saw them a couple of years ago, and they were ace. Bill Leeb looks amazing for a bloke in his late 50s, and he had a couple of younger musicians with him, swapping between percussion and keyboards. Even better, I won my pair of tickets :)

Check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIFPzehIY1Q

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Pre sale Algiers tickets available from Resident today for a bargainous price of under 8 quid each or so. Haunt 29th May.

Could be a great show, even though I'm not sure of the album.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here