Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uckfield

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I like Uckfield. It has everything you want really but it does have its fair share of chavs....probably more then i've seen anywhere else.

House prices are low, railway and bus links, decent shops but hardly any boozers.

I am confused, people I spoke to in the evening, in Heathfield told me that Uckfield (and Hailsham) are like that nowadays due to the amount of chavs and travellers that live there. How can that be a place to like.
Maybe I was unlucky, I agree that its still a nice little town and there are some nice places around Uckfield, but its the people that make a place in my opinion, and if people like I met in just 15 minutes are typical of its residents then its not a place I would want to live in.
Having said all that, I suppose when you get to a certain age you avoid all that by not going out in the town centre of an evening and when you do go out it is a quieter country pub etc so its not such an issue.
I do not drink in Union Street on a Friday or Saturday night for example.
All the same, still shocked by what happened in such a short space of time at 10am on a Saturday morning.

Ah, Nutley, yes you are right. Some good gigs used to go on there but I've not been for 20 years +.

Now a house I think - certainly no longer a pub. Happy memories of watching "The Drivers" there very many years ago.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I like Uckfield. It has everything you want really but it does have its fair share of chavs....probably more then i've seen anywhere else.

House prices are low, railway and bus links, decent shops but hardly any boozers.

House prices are not particularly low now. You'd have a job to find owt for a first time buyer.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Ok, quick précis.
I am originally from T wells and in my 50's so I have passed through Uckfield on many occasions, even down the high street before the by pass and always thought it was a nice quiet Sussex town where not much happens, but that was some time ago.
I was visiting my brother over the week end who lives in Heathfield, having driven from Plymouth my tank was empty so I asked if there was any 99p petrol around as the local station was 107. He said we would have to go to Uckfield and he would come with me to show me the quickest way.

On entering the town, I pulled into a petrol station and as I did a lady reversed out from my left and I had to swerve quickly as she would probably have hit me, she just carried on, I looked over at her, she was probably in her 40,s, she gave me the 2 fingers and the w****r sign and was hollering abuse.
I lost the plot and blocked her in at the exit and was about to get out and sort her out but my brother advised me not to, so I carried on down the high street.
Looking in my mirror I had this really crappy car right up behind me, who pulled along side, winding down our windows this young lad and his girlfriend were giving me pelters saying that she was nowhere near me, I told him that I just swerved as it looked like she was going to hit me and I was just avoiding her, and that he did not see what she was doing and saying from her car. I told him to mind his own business, wished him a merry Christmas and he went off.
I filled up at another station which was the same price as Heathfield (no 99p petrol in Uckfield) and set of back to Heathfield.
Leaving the town, I was driving along a road with parked cars and side roads on the left.
I saw a car stop at one of the side roads and just as I was about to go past at 20mph he pulled out right in front of me, I had to slam the brakes on. He stopped and wound down his window and was giving me the dogs abuse, 2 fingers and the w****r sign, again. He was in his 50's.
I could not believe what was going on, I had only been in the place for 15 minutes and honestly had done nothing wrong to get this treatment.
I said to my brother "what the hell is going on, I don't remember Uckfield being like this years ago"
He was laughing and said " welcome to Uckfield, thank god you are not in Hailsham"

Now I know things are different these days, places have changed and so have people, but Uckfield?, Skelmersdale maybe, is this typical, I don't get this in Plymouth and parts of this City are very rough.
Was I just very unlucky. I am no pussy, but I was shocked, and all in just 15minutes.

What a fantastic yarn, just read it to the other half and we laughed, a lot. Maybe because I have moved from one town to the other. :clap2:

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
Uckfield was my local town as I grew up in Framfield for 26 years. Has certainly changed from my childhood

D

Deleted User X18H

I lived in Pudding Cake Lane between November 1989 and August 1990.

The Cinque Ports is a bit clique- a lot of the inhabitants are Palace fans. And Buxted Park gets a little boring after a while.

I have never left Brighton & Hove since .

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
Prince Regent pub used to be pretty rough along with the squadies when they where on leave but that is goi g back 30 years. Going back further it was Wickhams (soldiers) v Harris's (sailors) but that was during the war years if both families where on leave and the Bell (about where waitrose is) was the flashpoint .
Ileft Uckfield 28 years ago i still go over as my folks live their otherwise why would you?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Prince Regent pub used to be pretty rough along with the squadies when they where on leave but that is goi g back 30 years. Going back further it was Wickhams (soldiers) v Harris's (sailors) but that was during the war years if both families where on leave and the Bell (about where waitrose is) was the flashpoint .
Ileft Uckfield 28 years ago i still go over as my folks live their otherwise why would you?

Waitrose!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Not too sure mate! 7 miles at a guess maybe more!

Looked on Google, it varies from 6 to 19 miles, with a few saying about 9.
Just trying to work out why the OP would make round trip of approximately 14 miles to save a few pence pre litre on fuel.
Which ended up with some grief and no money saved.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I lived in Pudding Cake Lane between November 1989 and August 1990.

The Cinque Ports is a bit clique- a lot of the inhabitants are Palace fans. And Buxted Park gets a little boring after a while.

I have never left Brighton & Hove since .

Someone asked me ages ago why Uckfield had so many Palace fans living there, It was the first I had heard.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Just trying to work out why the OP would make round trip of approximately 14 miles to save a few pence pre litre on fuel.

Yep - first thing I thought when hearing his story? Ones an Esso and I guess he went BP in Uck so didn't expect a difference either!?

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

I didn't.
My brother took me the back way it took about 15 minutes. My tank was totally empty and when you brim it the difference between 99p & 107p makes quite a difference, otherwise I would not have bothered for a few pence.
Funny thing is I ended up paying the same as I would have done in Heathfield as my idiot of a brother forgot that the Tesco in Uckfield does not have a petrol station.
So I went through all that aggro and it even cost me for the pleasure.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
It used to have quite a few useful independent builders' merchants and other such places at one time, but they spoiled the place by building the Bell Lane Industrial Estate, making the place a bit of a nightmare to get into by road. The town centre is certainly better than Crowborough's (Crowborough has a tiny town centre for a town of 25,000 or whatever it is). However, it definitely needs the railway reopened to Lewes. The bypass should also have been a dual carriageway, or at least a wide single carriageway like the Maresfield Bypass.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here