Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
john-lennon-give-peace-a-chance-i5488.jpg

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Out of interest what are you hoping for?

Hope is not the right word. I am an interested observer as the vast majority of the UK population are, and all on this thread. Given my career to date i will be relatively unimpacted. Looking forward my kids will be fine, they have passports that will enable them to work in the UK, the EU and Australasia, they have open minds and some language skills. They can move as they need to. I disagree with the view from some that we all need to support it now. I would not support a Corbyn hard left governemnt even if they get a majority just as i will not support the inward , anti immigration focus of a brexit vote. The margin was nominal, this is a split country on brexit.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Hope is not the right word. I am an interested observer as the vast majority of the UK population are, and all on this thread. Given my career to date i will be relatively unimpacted. Looking forward my kids will be fine, they have passports that will enable them to work in the UK, the EU and Australasia, they have open minds and some language skills. They can move as they need to. I disagree with the view from some that we all need to support it now. I would not support a Corbyn hard left governemnt even if they get a majority just as i will not support the inward , anti immigration focus of a brexit vote. The margin was nominal, this is a split country on brexit.
I don't think the support for a Corbyn hard left government analogy works. If, perish the thought, that situation occurred, we would be able, in a maximum of five years, to vote another government in. The Brexit case is different as whatever our political persuasion, it is something that our country will live with for a generation or more. So whichever way we voted, we are all in the same boat. Yes, the country is split but not on political lines.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I don't think the support for a Corbyn hard left government analogy works. If, perish the thought, that situation occurred, we would be able, in a maximum of five years, to vote another government in. The Brexit case is different as whatever our political persuasion, it is something that our country will live with for a generation or more. So whichever way we voted, we are all in the same boat. Yes, the country is split but not on political lines.

And we can have another referendum at some point in the future. There have been two in my lifetime. If a future generation would like to rejoin the EU that's fine. For now though I agree with the sentiment that everyone should pull together and make Brexit work. After all 'leavers' did just that for 40 odd years between Referendum 1 and Referendum 2. Anything else is just rather lacking in grace.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
And we can have another referendum at some point in the future. There have been two in my lifetime. If a future generation would like to rejoin the EU that's fine. For now though I agree with the sentiment that everyone should pull together and make Brexit work. After all 'leavers' did just that for 40 odd years between Referendum 1 and Referendum 2. Anything else is just rather lacking in grace.
Agreed.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

I suspect everyone will do what is best for their family whether we are in or out of the EU, its the framework within which they do thst which will now differ. Lacking grace is odd. I can't remember those vehemently anti EU keep their own council for the last 40 years. Indeed without those like Farage then there would not have been a vote. People seem to have opinions on Trident, on grammer / comprehensive schools etc. Perhaps the idea is that we should be a conformist society?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I suspect everyone will do what is best for their family whether we are in or out of the EU, its the framework within which they do thst which will now differ. Lacking grace is odd. I can't remember those vehemently anti EU keep their own council for the last 40 years. Indeed without those like Farage then there would not have been a vote. People seem to have opinions on Trident, on grammer / comprehensive schools etc. Perhaps the idea is that we should be a conformist society?

No, not at all and I certainly didn't mean your good self. Healthy debate is always a good thing and I agree the likes of Farage were always very vocal. I was referring more to people such as myself who always had a sceptical view of the EU but accepted membership because that's the way it was. Undoubtably there will be professional politicians the equivalent of Farage who will keep the Remain candle burning into the next generation but for the rest of us as well as prioritizing our families we need to move on to other issues such as building a fairer society. I guess what I'm saying is that while we may be back in the EU in your children's lifetime for yourself you may have to accept that won't be the case just as the outers had to accept the reverse in the 1970s.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010

Out of interest HG would you have the same opinion if the result had been the same percentage in favour of remain? Or would we have had to accept it? This was not asked in a hostile manner.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Out of interest HG would you have the same opinion if the result had been the same percentage in favour of remain? Or would we have had to accept it? This was not asked in a hostile manner.

To answer another way, I would have been very surprised if the vocal brexiteers on here suddenly were pro remain

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

There's no decency in blatantly lying to the public.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

Many people would find it easier to be sanguine about a Corbyn or Trump victory for the reason you mention - there would be a chance to change things in four or five years. It was nearly 70 years ago that Churchill outlined his European dream and for 40 years Britain and its people have been moving, in fits and starts and with many disappointments, red herrings and false turns, towards the situation he described. In 70 years almost every last one of us will be dead and that, I guess, is what puts 23 June in perspective. That result really was the thrill, or the setback, of a lifetime. Reactions are bound to be strong.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Many people would find it easier to be sanguine about a Corbyn or Trump victory for the reason you mention - there would be a chance to change things in four or five years. It was nearly 70 years ago that Churchill outlined his European dream and for 40 years Britain and its people have been moving, in fits and starts and with many disappointments, red herrings and false turns, towards the situation he described. In 70 years almost every last one of us will be dead and that, I guess, is what puts 23 June in perspective. That result really was the thrill, or the setback, of a lifetime. Reactions are bound to be strong.
Churchill did NOT envisage us being part of the EU.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here