Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does Brighton have a football hooligan firm

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Hooligans aren't football supporters, they are thugs who use football as an excuse for antisocial behaviour, public disorder and criminal damage. And often much worse.

The only blessing I can see in it is that they seem to only gravitate towards the other idiots - the occasional unprovoked assault notwithstanding.

Football fans are, correctly, labelled as idiots by most; they pay over the odds for 90 minutes of "entertainment", pay vast sums to Sky/BT Sport, which in turn goes to making multi-millionaire footballers, agents and owners even richer - themselves often while seeing no increase to their own earnings etc etc etc. all in the name of "loyalty" to a business which frankly doesn't give a shit about you on an individual level.

You don't have cricket or rugby hooligans now do you?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Have was moaning about someone moaning and commenting how they never actually done anything about it.

No he wasn't - he was pointing out how tough football thugs talk but how pathetic they are when it comes to the crunch.

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
There must be something seriously lacking in someone's life to compel them to deliberately get into a fight.

I worked with a chap who was into his football violence in Brighton. Slight, wee baldy chap who was meek and did nothing but tell us what he would do to our boss of the boss told him what to do again. Of course our boss would tell him to do something and he wouldn't say a word, just say yes sir, no sir, boss would leave and 2 mins later this guy is acting all hard again. I imagine that's what every hooligan is like when not in their pathetic little gang.

I'm sure if you were discussing any other subject you wouldn't make such a ridiculous generalisation!!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I'm sure if you were discussing any other subject you wouldn't make such a ridiculous generalisation!!

Maybe but I still stand by my post. One must have quite a deficient personality to actually want to go out looking for trouble. The fact that they do what they do, ie organise a fight for the sake of it pretty much speaks for itself.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Hooligans aren't football supporters, they are thugs who use football as an excuse for antisocial behaviour, public disorder and criminal damage. And often much worse.

The only blessing I can see in it is that they seem to only gravitate towards the other idiots - the occasional unprovoked assault notwithstanding.

Football fans are, correctly, labelled as idiots by most; they pay over the odds for 90 minutes of "entertainment", pay vast sums to Sky/BT Sport, which in turn goes to making multi-millionaire footballers, agents and owners even richer - themselves often while seeing no increase to their own earnings etc etc etc. all in the name of "loyalty" to a business which frankly doesn't give a shit about you on an individual level.

You don't have cricket or rugby hooligans now do you?

I agree with what your saying, just on an side note you do get scuffles sometimes at the T20 cricket which is a relatively new phenomenon. I remember a couple of years back Sussex vs Essex there was a massive punch inside the ground between 30 to 40 blokes. Obviously caught the police unaware as they didn't have many officers there. The following year Sussex vs Essex had quite a substantial police presence.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Different strokes for different folks I guess. A lot of east london might not look great but the pubs, restaurants, markets, canal amongst others are great. Where I am i'm a 10 minute walk from Angel, Clerkenwell and brick lane/shoreditch a 15 minute bus ride to the west end all very different places offering different things.

As for the one half poor one half rich comment that's London in a nutshell, near me one minute you'll find yourself in a run down housing estate the next a row of 5 million pound regency houses.

Hackney? A friend of mine lived in Angel where as if he lived a street away he would have been in Hackney and pay a third less rent at least. I suppose it depends what you look on as a nice area. Dulwich is an area that amazes me, mansions, art gallery, Dulwich school, bistros etc etc but then you have east Dulwich and the contrast is amazing. Peckham is another place that has been done up, when you drive from Peckham to Camberwell the flats are all new now but if you actually walk behind them it is the same old same old.
For me London has gone downhill in every respect, but others must like it. Genuinely though all my friends want to get out as it is just getting worse.

butchy

Jul 24, 2005
Bethnal Green, E2
I live in east london just by Victoria Park - lovely part of London...next to canal - ten minutes from the City, twenty minutes from the west end ten minutes from the new olympic park area.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012

I find football hooliganism baffling, in much the same way that I find being a boxer baffling. But provided they only beat the shit out of each other then let them get on with it.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
I live in east london just by Victoria Park - lovely part of London...next to canal - ten minutes from the City, twenty minutes from the west end ten minutes from the new olympic park area.

As I say depends on the person, but most would say that bethnal green is now a dump, including lots who were born there.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I find football hooliganism baffling, in much the same way that I find being a boxer baffling. But provided they only beat the shit out of each other then let them get on with it.

One is a regulated sport, the other is oft violent antisocial criminal activity which often results in personal injury, property damage and extra cost to the taxpayer for the NHS services used, extra policing needed, repairs to damaged property, and so forth.

So while boxing GENERATES income, hooliganism both directly and indirectly COSTS the average citizen.

paul & shark

Sep 17, 2013
It's not complicated, it's not to look "hard".

It's just v v good mates having a laugh, penchant for ale, nose, and the odd confrontation of like minds.

I probably had 50+ lads at my wedding from several lots, great day and good as gold.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
One is a regulated sport, the other is oft violent antisocial criminal activity which often results in personal injury, property damage and extra cost to the taxpayer for the NHS services used, extra policing needed, repairs to damaged property, and so forth.

So while boxing GENERATES income, hooliganism both directly and indirectly COSTS the average citizen.

People playing sports costs us significantly more whgeb they end up in A and E with bumps, bruises, sprains and broken bones. Shall we ban sport as well?
I do not agree with it and certainly don't see the point but if groups of men want to get pissed up and have a punch up then let them get in with it.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

Sadly there are always people in the middle :nono:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here