Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

WWE WrestleMania XXX

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I didn't know anyone had died!? What happened? I take it this time a 'wrestling move' actually made contact?

If someone has died in the WWE, what's the shock if you believe the sport to be true? Did you not think smashing a metal chair over someones head would one day kill someone? or throwing someone through a table would at least leave long term disability?

Remind me what the poor taste is again?

Ok, I'm going to assume you've not read the whole thread, nor the circumstances of his death (why would you, assuming is much more fun after all) so;

- it had nothing to do with the activity of wrestling.

- he died whilst one day after appearing and talking in-ring.

You don't like wrestling, that's fine, but don't assume those of us that do are morons.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
What's that got to do with Wrestling? Was the 54 year old a wrestler?

He was an ex-wrestler that had been inducted into the company's hall of fame a couple of days before, and indeed he had been in the ring speaking on live TV less than 24 hours before he died.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
He was an ex-wrestler that had been inducted into the company's hall of fame a couple of days before, and indeed he had been in the ring speaking TV less than 24 hours before he died.

Fair enough. Hope his family cope, my thoughts go out to them.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Ok, I'm going to assume you've not read the whole thread, nor the circumstances of his death (why would you, assuming is much more fun after all) so;

- it had nothing to do with the activity of wrestling.

- he died whilst one day after appearing and talking in-ring.

You don't like wrestling, that's fine, but don't assume those of us that do are morons.

I don't assume people who like WWE are morons. I'm just intrigued to know if you do actually believe it's true?

shaolinpunk

Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I don't assume people who like WWE are morons. I'm just intrigued to know if you do actually believe it's true?

The characters, the outcomes, the structure is all scripted.

The risks and the damage they can take, while moves are designed to try and reduce the potential for injury, is real. Repeatedly crashing down onto the ring floor - a thick wooden structure with just a thin mat and a little bit of movement to cushion - will hurt. Especially when you're doing it five days a week.

There's a reason that a number of wrestlers over the years have become addicted to painkillers.

Kurt Angle (who won a gold medal in the '96 Olympics before joining the then WWF) has barely any feeling in his arm after a long career and has broken his neck on numerous occasions. Mick Foley had an ear ripped off by the ropes. An autopsy of Chris Benoit, who killed his family before killing himself a few years ago, showed his brain was so beaten up from years of hits to the head that he probably would have died within a year.

Steps are taken to try and protect the wrestlers as much as possible, but ultimately it's a career that involves a lot of pain to go with the intended gains.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness

The risks and the damage they can take, while moves are designed to try and reduce the potential for injury, is real. Repeatedly crashing down onto the ring floor - a thick wooden structure with just a thin mat and a little bit of movement to cushion - will hurt. Especially when you're doing it five days a week.

There's a reason that a number of wrestlers over the years have become addicted to painkillers.

Kurt Angle (who won a gold medal in the '96 Olympics before joining the then WWF) has barely any feeling in his arm after a long career and has broken his neck on numerous occasions. Mick Foley had an ear ripped off by the ropes. An autopsy of Chris Benoit, who killed his family before killing himself a few years ago, showed his brain was so beaten up from years of hits to the head that he probably would have died within a year.

Steps are taken to try and protect the wrestlers as much as possible, but ultimately it's a career that involves a lot of pain to go with the intended gains.

Do you not think the use of steroids might be contributing to the entertainment?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

People seriously underestimate what wrestlers have to go through. It is an extremely punishing career and whilst I no longer have much of an interest in WWE I do respect the wrestlers who still provide great entertainment for those who do.

shaolinpunk

Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Do you not think the use of steroids might be contributing to the entertainment?

Steroid use was much more prevalent in the '80s, '90s and early '00s. They've tried to clean up their act in recent years with a wellness program that regularly tests people and suspends stars that test positive. Is it flawless? Unlikely. But it's a big step in the right direction.

From wiki:

Wellness Program
The Talent Wellness Program is a comprehensive drug, alcohol, and cardiac screening program initiated in February 2006, shortly after the sudden death of one of their highest profile talents, 38 year-old Eddie Guerrero.[38] The policy tests for recreational drug use and abuse of prescription medication, including anabolic steroids.[38] Under the guidelines of the policy, talent is also tested annually for pre-existing or developing cardiac issues. The drug testing is handled by Aegis Sciences Corporation. The cardiac evaluations are handled by New York Cardiology Associates P.C.
After the double murder and suicide committed by one of its performers, Chris Benoit, with a possible link to steroids abuse encouraged by WWE, the United States House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform requested that WWE turn over any material regarding its talent wellness policy.
In August 2007, the program was defended by WWE and its employees in the wake of several illegal pharmacy busts that linked WWE performers to steroid purchases even after the policy was put into place. Ten professional wrestlers were suspended for violating the Wellness Policy after reports emerged they were all customers of Signature Pharmacy in Orlando, Florida. According to a statement attributed to WWE attorney Jerry McDevitt, an eleventh wrestler was later added to the suspension list.Because of the Wellness Policy, physicians were able to diagnose one of its performers with a heart ailment that would otherwise likely have gone unnoticed until it was too late. In August 2007, then-reigning United States Champion Montel Vontavious Porter (real name Hassan Assad) was diagnosed with Wolff–Parkinson–White syndrome, which can be potentially fatal if gone undiagnosed. The ailment was discovered while Assad was going through a routine Wellness Policy checkup.
On September 13, 2010, WWE updated their list of banned substances to include muscle relaxers.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness

shaolinpunk

Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
After reading this report. It made me feel that there is something seriously wrong about WWE. I've never been into WWE but this sort of story was sickening.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/canadian-pro-wrestler-killed-family-then-himself-police-1.638182

One of the responses to the Benoit case, and his body condition, is that chairshots to the head now longer happen nor do piledrivers. In the last year or two they've become more responsive to concussions and the risks that come with them

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
After reading this report. It made me feel that there is something seriously wrong about WWE. I've never been into WWE but this sort of story was sickening.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/canadian-pro-wrestler-killed-family-then-himself-police-1.638182

A terrible story, and yes it highlights the possible effects of a life in the ring. I remember being shocked at the time that happened. I'm not sure what steps (If any) WWE have taken since then to help minimise the risk of this happening again. I'm sure those who still watch wrestling maybe able to fill us in.

I see Shaolinpunk has just done that :thumbsup:

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
One of the responses to the Benoit case, and his body condition, is that chairshots to the head now longer happen nor do piledrivers. In the last year or two they've become more responsive to concussions and the risks that come with them

He was feeding his baby with Steroids! The Wrestling moves had noting to do with it.
To me, the WWE soap opera show is fuelled by steroid addictions. Sadly Chris Benoit and his murdered family are the reality behind WWE.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
People seriously underestimate what wrestlers have to go through. It is an extremely punishing career and whilst I no longer have much of an interest in WWE I do respect the wrestlers who still provide great entertainment for those who do.

I think if you're coming away from a "sport" with that kind of damage it's a fairly good indicator the whole thing is a load of ill thought out rubbish.

shaolinpunk

Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
He was feeding his baby with Steroids! The Wrestling moves had noting to do with it.
To me, the WWE soap opera show is fuelled by steroid addictions. Sadly Chris Benoit and his murdered family are the reality behind WWE.

Where does it say about feeding a baby steroids? ???

Like I said, steroids were commonplace in the 80s and 90s but not so much these days. They can't really afford for it to be.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

I agree with you on this. Look how many wrestlers don't make it past their mid-50's. Steroid abuse.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Where does it say about feeding a baby steroids? ???

Like I said, steroids were commonplace in the 80s and 90s but not so much these days. They can't really afford for it to be.

Sorry my error, not Steroids, actually it was Xanax (even worse). He sedated his baby before he strangled it! He did the same to his wife.
This only happened in 2007 too. Not the 80's or 90's.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Wrestle fans are kidding themselves if they think a human can get that size, that definition and that ripped by eating healthily and training. You can't.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
When you use steroids and get that large and defined you lose a lot of body fat, a lot of density in your ligaments and tendons, you lose a lot of water, and you put a huge amount of strain on your skeletal structure, joints and not least your heart. This is why wrestlers get injured so much, not because they are prancing about a sprung ring in tights, growling and jumping on each other's backs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here