Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ian Hart- Worthing Herald

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
I appreciate Ian Hart has done a lot for our club and for that, I thank him unconditionally.

But I think the article is overly negative, wrong to single out COG (who got a great reception from fans when he came on on Tuesday) and paints a gloomier picture than is actually there. It was probably the best we have played this season against a largely unchanged team from the one that got relegated from the Premier League last season and followed on from a very good point gained at the then division leaders.

It would have been nice to have had an article with a positive slant on it.

Yoda

English & European
Plenty of people I believe and all so unnecessary because he was sticking ( not licking) up for the disaster that was Micky Adams mark 2, which was a mistake :smile:

I was one of the people that he was referring to as I had totally lost faith in Adams by the end of the Walsall game and even beating City didn't change my mind. Wasn't me that complained though!!

And that was partially my fault. :blush: Couldn't believe the amount of abuse he was getting on here that night.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Now here's a funny thing. Absolutely no slight on Harty at all, but why do women funeral directors like to advertise that they're women and that they're caring? I've seen it a few times especially down my way (I live near the Brighton Crematorium - dead centre of Brighton).

It's all a bit unnecessary and I don't like the implied sexism - that women are the ones who care and men couldn't give two hoots. It puts me off in fact, I have visions of some mumsy-type woman with a Yorkshire accent offering copious amounts of tea, and a hankie to cry into that she produces from her large knitted cardigan. "Ee love. She's gone t'better place. That's it, let it all out. We'll take reet good care of your dead mother"

(apologies, I can't do accents)

"Now, love did you want a wreath with the words "MUM" on it? Summit classy like. And the coffin - maybe some decking but painted black? Now come 'ere love. You look like you need a hug. Fancy a curry night?"

No thanks.
strange that you conducted that service in geordie./......u kant...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Two points:

1. COG had the misfortune to be purchased 3 days before Ulloa was sold. He scored one more Championship goal than Ulloa in 2013/14. Other subsequent striker purchases have been in the 'small, nippy' mould. Therefore, there is a perception that he is as near to a replacement for Ulloa as we have, and older fans will also perceive £500,000 to be a fair old fee for a player.

I think the reality is that COG was bought as a bench option, with CMS and Baldock being the main designated strikers.

As Ulloa thrives with Leicester and COG struggles at the Albion the pressure on him will increase. Perhaps this is a little unfair, but COG has been given his chance and hasn't caught Sami's eye.

The club have made an error here - they should have simply re-signed Glenn Murray. The vast majority of fans would have backed the club on this.

2. Pundits often say "the league table doesn't mean anything until you've played 10 matches". Well we have now played 10 matches so Harty's analysis is timely. I agree with pretty much all that he's said.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Why do I think from this post the OP is a JCL?

But this article does highlight the fact that Ian is not and never has been a Licker, so does this article make him a member of the Bedwetting club?

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Ian is a great bloke and BHAFC lifelong fan and did a radio show for years so is entitled to his views. Also he has done many funerals of BHAFC fans and NSC members

Well said. Harty wears his heart on his sleeve, tells it how he sees it (and many others as I agree with every word) and he is Albion through and though, unlike Naylor.

Last edited by a moderator:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Two points:

1. COG had the misfortune to be purchased 3 days before Ulloa was sold. He scored one more Championship goal than Ulloa in 2013/14. Other subsequent striker purchases have been in the 'small, nippy' mould. Therefore, there is a perception that he is as near to a replacement for Ulloa as we have, and older fans will also perceive £500,000 to be a fair old fee for a player.

I think the reality is that COG was bought as a bench option, with CMS and Baldock being the main designated strikers.

As Ulloa thrives with Leicester and COG struggles at the Albion the pressure on him will increase. Perhaps this is a little unfair, but COG has been given his chance and hasn't caught Sami's eye.

The club have made an error here - they should have simply re-signed Glenn Murray. The vast majority of fans would have backed the club on this.

2. Pundits often say "the league table doesn't mean anything until you've played 10 matches". Well we have now played 10 matches so Harty's analysis is timely. I agree with pretty much all that he's said.

I'm not sure six games (most when we had a less than full squad) is giving someone a chance

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's not just about game time, it's also about what he does in training, how he interacts with the other players etc.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Two points:

Palace didn't let Murray leave until transfer deadline day, 01st September, it was too late, because by then, we'd spent the money, doing the deal for Teixeira that same day.

Murray will be on a large salary at Reading, yet another reason for Paul Barber to say, thanks but no. We couldn't meet his wage demands in 2011, so it's unlikely after 3 years as a Premier league player, he'll be looking for a pay cut.

Personally I'd welcome him back, but the timing wasn't right this time around. Maybe in a couple of seasons, but if I take my Albion tinted spectacles off I doubt he'd want to return unless we were prepared to rip up our wage policy.

Spadge

Sep 21, 2011
Because he has buried your mum Ian is a sound bloke and i look like a prick?

...................errrr ok then.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
to be quite honest he is just stating the bleeding obvious
Oh yes it might be a struggle but on the other hand it might not be
where were Reading in the 2011/12 season at this time
AND THEY WENT UP AS CHAMPIONS
IT CAN BE DONE

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Thought the article was a little too general and rather pandered to the main stream view. i.e the man in the street who can see where we are and knows we are struggling but just needs a little enlightening as to the way forward. A little more in-depth analysis would have helped but perhaps Harty is as much in the dark as some of the rest of us.
He needed to question how we started the season in some disarray, then tried to play our way out of trouble by going gung-ho and now, more recently we seem to have adopted a more pragmatic approach. He needed to question whether the manager had a clear strategy from day one or whether he is being led by his coaching team or even senior players. He needed to question the lack of playing time for Paddy McCourt, clearly our most talented and influential player. He needed to question whether the goalkeeper should have been rested by now after ten games in which he has not distinguished himself.
This is the sort of discussive piece that fans need to get their teeth into, not this general " its not going very well but I don't think we will go down or up " type of article...we can all trot this stuff out.
Come on Ian, you know your stuff. Don't worry about the Editor. He'll tell you if he doesn't like it. Next time hit a bit harder.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Now here's a funny thing. Absolutely no slight on Harty at all, but why do women funeral directors like to advertise that they're women and that they're caring? I've seen it a few times especially down my way (I live near the Brighton Crematorium - dead centre of Brighton).

It's all a bit unnecessary and I don't like the implied sexism - that women are the ones who care and men couldn't give two hoots. It puts me off in fact, I have visions of some mumsy-type woman with a Yorkshire accent offering copious amounts of tea, and a hankie to cry into that she produces from her large knitted cardigan. "Ee love. She's gone t'better place. That's it, let it all out. We'll take reet good care of your dead mother"

(apologies, I can't do accents)

"Now, love did you want a wreath with the words "MUM" on it? Summit classy like. And the coffin - maybe some decking but painted black? Now come 'ere love. You look like you need a hug. Fancy a curry night?"

No thanks.

I strongly agree, would any male run independent funeral director have a chance if he traded under the title Caring Gentleman Funeral Director ?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
1/. i have my will written out and it clearly states which funeral service to use so no issue there

2/. When i left the game Tuesday evening it was by fair the best home performance of the season so far, many around me even commenting how positive they feel and that the heroics of the visiting keeper prevented the possibility of a rather flattering score line. Many faces left smiling and cheerful despite picking up only a point.

3/. If he is such an Albion man then how come he has written this drivel and i will add many other articles recently that are also drivel?

4/. Stockdale has been a bigger disappointment than O Grady so why did he NOT single him out

Sorry! But Mr Hart is trying to be someone he is not and should stick to funeral directing.

Do give over. I suspect Harty's been commenting on the Albion in various media since you've been breathing. Do you really think that the people who produced Gulls Eye, Scars and Stripes and TSLR were "trying to be something they're not"? How about Al and Aidy on the Albion Roar? The guys who write on the Proper Writings here, on We Are Brighton and various other blogs and fansites? Should they all stick to their day job and not have an opinion? How about you? What are you doing positing that sort of offensive drivel on here. Couldn't you stick to road sweeping or toilet cleaning or watching Jeremy Kyle?

NSC Blog

It's good. Read it.
Jul 28, 2011
2/. When i left the game Tuesday evening it was by far the best home performance of the season so far, many around me even commenting how positive they feel and that the heroics of the visiting keeper prevented the possibility of a rather flattering score line. Many faces left smiling and cheerful despite picking up only a point.

This take on Tuesday's proceedings might be more to your tastes...

http://www.northstandchat.com/content.php?279-Albion-v-Cardiff-City-30-09-2014

It's always dissappointing not to win a match in which you were the better side, but all in all a hugely entertaining affair, full of incident and talking points. If it transpires that this is a season of consolidation, so be it - at least we are being treated to plenty of excitement along the way.

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
Because he has buried your mum Ian is a sound bloke and i look like a prick?

...................errrr ok then.

Yes you do, with comments like that. I note that you did not join NSC until 2011, so you are either a JCL, a little boy or has never lost a family member, or as you say, a prick ? grow up or shut up, you are making yourself look like an idiot. By the way he did not bury my mum, he cremated her. He is a 'sound' bloke in my book, not because of his job, its because I have know him for a long time and his love for the Albion, may I suggest is more than most on here. I actually disagreed in what he said aswell, but I would say it to his face, not come on a message board, hide behind a keyboard and make fun of his profession.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here