Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player hunt on hold

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The Large One said:
Good f***ing grief.

NO, I DIDN'T.

I replied to this...

I would have thought that Brighton would be quite a desirable club considering we are one of the biggest in League 1.

by saying this...
One day, people will wake up from this deluded fantasy and realise this statement simply is not true.

Now, where is the insinuation that we are lowest of the loew and have zero pulling power?

In the "Nope" as pointed out by me earlier...

paddy

Feb 2, 2005
London
The Large One said:
So you wish to judge him purely on transfers that didn't turn out a success?

I am sure it may be a longer list, but it also would disprove your theory about players not wanting to come here because of him.

No, if you like we can look at how we were relegated under him and how the team has got weaker.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The Large One said:
No, it isn't.

Blackpool
Bradford
Bristol City
Huddersfield
Millwall
Northampton
Nottm Forest
Oldham
Port Vale
Swansea
Tranmere
Yeovil

To me, that lot have far more clout than us, other we may be on a par with.

Yeovil? laughable really - just about stayed up last year.
Blackpool? no
Millwall - only because there manager seems to have connections - the players he brought in would demand a kings ransom.

Les Biehn said:

"Potentially we are bigger than say Crewe but iof you were a player and you had the choice between two teams with roughly the same crowd but one had a proper stadium and the other had a converted athletics track who would you choose?"

Steve Coppell managed to get some top players down here to our shitty little ground didn't he? It's not all about facilities. I also think it is rather ironic that you are using Crewe as an example. When Dario Gradi is probably a very big reason as to why players got to Crewe as he has a proven track recaord of good coaching and improving players.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
paddy said:
So in reality, your blaming everything but MM. That is a completely irresponsible attitude. Many other managers have had to and are dealing with the same and even worse situations yet thay consistantly perform better than MM in the transfer market. He has to take much of the blame.

I think the point is to be evenhanded when looking at the transfer record under the club. I for one think he has done better than Taylor.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
paddy said:
So in reality, your blaming everything but MM. That is a completely irresponsible attitude. Many other managers have had to and are dealing with the same and even worse situations yet thay consistantly perform better than MM in the transfer market. He has to take much of the blame.
Why? Shall we blame Dick Knight and the board as well for not shelling out on the players McGhee actually wants?

Every manager probably has to suffer this indignity, you just choose to pick on Mark McGhee because, in your mind, he had no excuses for not keeping us up.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
paddy said:

Do you not think there is a link with the fact that 4 or different players during the past year have slated MM as a manager and the lack of any players coming in?

Or the fact he Burns all the conects he may of had at previous clubs by running off?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Kinky Gerbils said:
Do you not think there is a link with the fact that 4 or different players during the past year have slated MM as a manager and the lack of any players coming in?

Or the fact he Burns all the conects he may of had at previous clubs by running off?
What by going back to Millwall and getting Mark McCammon? Yeah, I know he was shite, but it does mean he was prepared to talk to Millwall.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Southover Street Seagull said:

Steve Coppell managed to get some top players down here to our shitty little ground didn't he? It's not all about facilities. I also think it is rather ironic that you are using Crewe as an example. When Dario Gradi is probably a very big reason as to why players got to Crewe as he has a proven track recaord of good coaching and improving players.

Sorry, are you implying I called it our 'shitty little ground'?

Do you not realise how lucky we were to get Coppell? Look where he is now, does that not tell you what a fortunate appointment that was as in our position we should not really expect to be getting managers of that calibre.

Also Gradi may be wll respected but tell me the last time he got in a houshold name?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The Large One said:
Why? Shall we blame Dick Knight and the board as well for not shelling out on the players McGhee actually wants?

Every manager probably has to suffer this indignity, you just choose to pick on Mark McGhee because, in your mind, he had no excuses for not keeping us up.

There is excuses yes - but that side last year was good enough to do much better and to finish off that many points from saftey was simply not good enough.

The Large One said:

Mark McGhee last season had more resources than any Albion manager since we have been at Withdean. Ample enough excuse to keep us up.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Les Biehn said:

Do you not realise how lucky we were to get Coppell? Look where he is now, does that not tell you what a fortunate appointment that was as in our position we should not really expect to be getting managers of that calibre.

Also Gradi may be wll respected but tell me the last time he got in a houshold name?

You dont have to get a household name for it to be a good signing, Was Zamora, Mcshane or even Cullip a house hold name when they signed?

paddy

Feb 2, 2005
London
Les Biehn said:
I think the point is to be evenhanded when looking at the transfer record under the club. I for one think he has done better than Taylor.

Ok, if we are looking who MM has done better than, the list would not be over 1 whereas if we look at past Brighton managers who have performed better than him the list would be significantly longer.

Also if we we are being evenhanded, surely we need to look at how team spirit and ability has got weaker and how he has failed to develop our young players. Someone like Gradi is excellent at that.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The Large One said:
I'll ask them tonight.

Go on then, ill doubt they would slate fellow team memebers but it was quite clear for most last year there was hardly any on the pitch, where it matters.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Les Biehn said:

Gradi doesn't sign household names, neither do we. But Gradi tends to get the best out of his players, while we seem incapable of doing that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here