Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Giving the development squad players a chance...

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
..... and then we need to find room for Mooy, and soon Mac Allister, not to mention Trossard and Gros - all fitting in behind whichever striker(s) we're going to play.

Kinda crowded, isn't it?

Sure is.

I'm probably going to make a right pig's ear of this but here goes.

Whenever I see our starting 11, I normally say "I'm happy with that".
Whenever I scan the bench, I normally say "Plenty of quality there."
I then move on to say "Bit harsh on all those not in the squad."

Keeping as many players as fresh as possible for the season is fine, but the downside is not having an obvious starting 11 that can be more instinctive as a unit. When I look at the wankpuffin squad every match the starting 11 is often the same and most of the bench I've never heard of.

Do we need to aim for a more pricey 'spine' to our 11 now, knowing that we have quality to fill the space around them?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I must be missing something here.

Argie McJocko saying he's a nos 10.
NSC is saying X, Y & Z will.need to be dropped to accommodate him.

Yet none of Groß, Mooy or Trossard play as a number 10.

The nearest we've had to a 'dropping off the striker' player, all season has been Maupay dropping back from himself.

Shirley to get Macca into the team all that has to happen is one of the 'not wingers' loses their place in favour of a slightly more rigid front 3 supported through the middle by the Scotch fella.

All of the above with the exception of Mooy has done at one stage this season, as we change formation a number of times during a game. Gross was certainly a no. 10 under Hughton, and IMO he is better there, as he doesn't have the pace to play anywhere else. (Sadly his days are numbered I think).

Given our lack of offensive threat, I would hope Potter is considering how to utilise his best players and perhaps do something different than he has already. Having to rely on a 36 year old striker, is a very high risk strategy.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Will need Alzate’s energy and running in midfield next Sat as Stephens, Pröpper and Mooy haven’t got the engines to get up the pitch then track back to counter Sheff Utd’s midfield runners

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Will need Alzate’s energy and running in midfield next Sat as Stephens, Pröpper and Mooy haven’t got the engines to get up the pitch then track back to counter Sheff Utd’s midfield runners

This.

I think that's where the match will be won or lost. Their pace in counter is almost as impressive as Liverpool's.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Prerty well so far. Alzate is proving himself to be an important player for us and Connolly has gained some valuable experience.

So you are saying it's about the potential these developing players have not that playing these younger players has improved the record of our team? No actual improvement in the team yet.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
True, but at home we lost every physical battle.

Did we?

I recall our players being out numbered two or three to one because Potter was absolutely out thought on tactics which is a shame because Sheff Utd pretty much play one way.

We’ve got to find a way to open the pitch up. Sheff Utd stick everyone in midfield allowing them to break play very easily and break away effectively.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Results with yoof in the first team may not be too different as of yet (apart from Connolly's contribution against Spurs), however the potential we have coming through within the next couple of years should make a difference, and this is where it will be interesting to see how GP incorporates them.

Players such as Haydon Roberts, Taylor Richards, Tolaj, Cashman, Gyokeres, Ostigaard, Cochrane, McGill, Rushworth, Walton, Sanchez, Clarke, White off the top of my head are all players who could be pushing for a place in the first team within the next couple of years. Obviously not all will make it and some will be sold off for profit. However I'm hopeful for our future when looking at what is coming through.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Results with yoof in the first team may not be too different as of yet (apart from Connolly's contribution against Spurs), however the potential we have coming through within the next couple of years should make a difference, and this is where it will be interesting to see how GP incorporates them.

Players such as Haydon Roberts, Taylor Richards, Tolaj, Cashman, Gyokeres, Ostigaard, Cochrane, McGill, Rushworth, Walton, Sanchez, Clarke, White off the top of my head are all players who could be pushing for a place in the first team within the next couple of years. Obviously not all will make it and some will be sold off for profit. However I'm hopeful for our future when looking at what is coming through.

I'd like to see an Albion side with 4 'keepers in it. :lol:

Haydon Roberts is 17 years old.

He has (knowing the Albion) 13 gazillion centre backs ahead of him.
He hasn't even started his, now well trodden path, through the leagues on loan.

paulfuzz

Apr 17, 2019
Kings Lynn
Does it. Let's say we're 2-0 up and cruising at home - is it a bold move to bring on Bjordal for the last 15? Or is it an intelligent policy of building confidence etc. Yes we could end up losing 3-2, but it's unlikely. Fully agree re starting a development player at this level, but well timed action here and there could be worth more than 46 games struggling to survive in the Championship at Wigan for example.

That would be nice, 2 nil up and cruising!!! One can only imagine

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
I'd like to see an Albion side with 4 'keepers in it. :lol:

Haydon Roberts is 17 years old.

He has (knowing the Albion) 13 gazillion centre backs ahead of him.
He hasn't even started his, now well trodden path, through the leagues on loan.

You know what I meant! haha! The two younger keepers have huge potential so worth keeping an eye on them.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You know what I meant! haha! The two younger keepers have huge potential so worth keeping an eye on them.

Of course and I was just pulling your leg.

I am getting a little twitchy about our excitement for the 'next big thing'.
To date I think we fans are 0 for 429, when it comes to championing a yoof prospect.

I accept the level of scrutiny, publicity and media coverage these kids are put under makes it almost impossible for us to keep a lid on it.
But I do wonder if any of the kids will ever be as good as we already assume they will be.

Seemingly one unconfirmed scout sighting and a great save against a fellow amateur side is enough to propel a player NOBODY had heard of, 2 weeks ago, into the edges of the first team squad.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Did we?

I recall our players being out numbered two or three to one because Potter was absolutely out thought on tactics which is a shame because Sheff Utd pretty much play one way.

We’ve got to find a way to open the pitch up. Sheff Utd stick everyone in midfield allowing them to break play very easily and break away effectively.

To me it felt like we weren't ready physically, it was a classic championship style game and they were better. Webster was bullied at every opportunity, no presence up front, completely owned by their CB's, and yes our midfield were outplayed and Potter tactically out-thought.
Just really poor - I'm anticipating better Saturday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here