Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chelsea vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
But the outcome is the same. We have 0 points from either game. The difference is that one of the games was fun to watch and the other wasn’t. So you are making my point...

-2 goal difference as opposed to -4 goal difference so not the same at all!
I'm sure if we go all out attack for the rest of the season against the top 6 - get smashed and go down on goal difference you'll be happy because it was "fun"!
I won't be happy at all but each to their own!

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Maybe - Maybe not. But his experience counts far more than what you think IMO.
I just don't get why CH gets criticised for not being gung ho against top 6 teams.

It's a fine line, between losing 6/7-0 and losing 1/2-0 against the top sides. Personally I hate sitting back and inviting teams with that quality to just attack for 90 mins, BUT, I understand the need for caution to stay in the game and potentially try and get something out of the game if it does pan out.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
That is not good enough from the club. He is either fit both mentally and physically and should be on the bench or he isnt and shouldnt be. If as has been suggested he is being protected to be sold in January why put him on the bench just say he isnt fit, end of story.

I can understand CH and his approach to the top 6 teams - keep it tight for as long as you can and then late on, who knows.

I do struggle with his substitutions though. Resting key players today for the next two massive games..... ok........ but an ideal chance to get Baldock some time on the pitch. I mean we have given him a decent contract extension haven’t we. So he’s not fit then ?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
But the outcome is the same. We have 0 points from either game. The difference is that one of the games was fun to watch and the other wasn’t. So you are making my point...

Although I see your point that it was more fun for you, I suspect Chris and the boys may disagree. And you don't want to go upsetting them :wink:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
That is not good enough from the club. He is either fit both mentally and physically and should be on the bench or he isnt and shouldnt be. If as has been suggested he is being protected to be sold in January why put him on the bench just say he isnt fit, end of story.
You could certainly build a case that a deal has already been agreed to sell him in January.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think the truth is, mind your own business.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
So what you're saying is, keep my opinions to myself... you couldn't make it up.

:facepalm:

He's actually saying pretty much the opposite of that. What he's saying is it's fine if we all have different opinions, if we constructively debate those opinions with each other - but if you resort to vilifying language then you immediately shut the debate down. So it's actually you who's trying to shut down opinions.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011

Probably worth taking some notice of my post about re-integration after a long injury.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol

He's actually saying pretty much the opposite of that. What he's saying is it's fine if we all have different opinions, if we constructively debate those opinions with each other - but if you resort to vilifying language then you immediately shut the debate down. So it's actually you who's trying to shut down opinions.

Thank you x

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
-2 goal difference as opposed to -4 goal difference so not the same at all!
I'm sure if we go all out attack for the rest of the season against the top 6 - get smashed and go down on goal difference you'll be happy because it was "fun"!
I won't be happy at all but each to their own!

But it’s already been confirmed that if we get similar results against the bottom half sides in the second half of the season, then we’ll stay up. If you’re relying solely on goal difference to stay up, you’re in trouble anyway. You stay up by getting more points. We stand to get no more than 2-3 against top six sides this season. Huddersfield already have that against the Top 6. 6 points and a -20 goal difference against them is usually of more use than 2 points and a -10 goal difference.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We could repeat the entire 1st half of the season. Lose al 12 games against the top 6 and we would stay up. I’m fact we’ve already improved on one result from the first half (Watford).
Our first game against each other team has netted us 18 points. The same again would give us 36.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
But it’s already been confirmed that if we get similar results against the bottom half sides in the second half of the season, then we’ll stay up. If you’re relying solely on goal difference to stay up, you’re in trouble anyway. You stay up by getting more points. We stand to get no more than 2-3 against top six sides this season. Huddersfield already have that against the Top 6. 6 points and a -20 goal difference against them is usually of more use than 2 points and a -10 goal difference.

Match similar results then we only get 36 points.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Our first game against each other team has netted us 18 points. The same again would give us 36.
Yes indeed.

Although we already have +2 vs Watford which gives us 38 and borderline survival.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

Bless, he gave you a kiss, how sweet. How am I 'shutting down' a debate precisely?

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Chris Hughton:

"Over the 90 minutes I think we were value for something - I'm not talking about points, I'm talking about really participating in this game.

"We need to figure a way of getting the goals we need. We're very conscious of the division we're in. What we will do is work as hard as we can coming up in January to strengthen the squad in areas that can strengthen us."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here