Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Brighton Kop

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
To me the villain is the King &Queen for letting them take over a local pub.

Agreed, I haven't been there for many years but nothing football related.

I wonder if you would be so unhappy IF these were Brighton fans in York or Sheffield?

Are there any York fans who grew up in Sussex? This is very much specific to glory hunting. It would still be a little odd to see a Brighton pub plastered with York City colours or vice versa, but people certainly wouldn't be as cynical about it.

regards stupid , I didn't watch the whole video did you?

Wasn't calling you stupid if that's what you thought, I was referencing mistakes I've made in the past by asking people like this why they support the club they do. It usually ends with me being none the wiser, utterly baffled by it and wishing I had spent the previous 15mins knitting a bobble hat. Yes, unforunately I did watch the whole thing.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
With all due respect to The King and Queen pub and everyone on here who drinks in there, it's a crap, outdated cavernous, soulless hole that's usually well stocked with complete throwbacks. I'm surprised they don't have still have ash trays, cigarette machines selling JPS Superkings and Hoffmeister on tap.

Hoffmeister - follow the bear.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Agreed, I haven't been there for many years but nothing football related.

Are there any York fans who grew up in Sussex? This is very much specific to glory hunting. It would still be a little odd to see a Brighton pub plastered with York City colours or vice versa, but people certainly wouldn't be as cynical about it.

Wasn't calling you stupid if that's what you thought, I was referencing mistakes I've made in the past by asking people like this why they support the club they do. It usually ends with me being none the wiser, utterly baffled by it and wishing I had spent the previous 15mins knitting a bobble hat. Yes, unforunately I did watch the whole thing.

TRUCE ... do understand what you are saying

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I vowed never to go in there again after they wouldn't show our final game of the season away to Forest on the big screens as West Ham were on. The Brighton fans were forced to crowd round a few smaller screens because "more people want to watch the Premier League". Ulloa scored, the rest was history, but not been in there since.

I think the King and Queen is at fault and hopefully will be boycotted by Brighton fans.

After reading the post from Bold Seagull ( above ) absolutely.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
As I said many people support a team which is not local for genuine reasons and they should not be condemned for that.

Funny how it wasn't Tranmere Rovers who they garnered this watery-eyed "affinity" with innit.

Sorry, I have absolutely NO TIME for anyone who latches on to a Premier League behemoth when they have zero connection with them. I have all the time in the world for fans of smaller clubs who support from afar. A few years ago I was on holiday in Egypt, and got talking round the pool to a chap from Staines who was a Plymouth fan. Really nice fella who certainly knew his stuff when it came to the game.

There was also a bloke born and bred in Bournemouth who "supported" Chelsea, despite only ever having been to Stamford Bridge once, when his wife got him a ticket 3 or 4 years back for his birthday. When he went for a dip, it was all I could to to stop myself from gobbing in his pina colada.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I actually feel quite sad for these plebs. They genuinely have absolutely no idea what supporting a team is about, their only connection with football is a tv show and buying the latest shirt.?They will never know what it’s like to feel a genuine connection with a football team.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I actually feel quite sad for these plebs. They genuinely have absolutely no idea what supporting a team is about, their only connection with football is a tv show and buying the latest shirt.?They will never know what it’s like to feel a genuine connection with a football team.

Exactly. Thats just it isn't it. They THINK they have. But they've simply picked a team off the shelf. It takes no real effort, no true emotional investment to truly support a team like that, in the true sense of the word. They'll never experience the gut-wrenching tension of a Hereford, or the soaring dream-like high of a Wigan. They don't get home exhausted at 1am from a shite day-long trek to a 0-0 at Bury. They're just going through the motions, flatlining. Enjoying an element of comradeship with like-minded weak willed plastics, but without even coming close to what following a team is all about.

They'll never really "get it". Not really.

Technohead

Aug 10, 2013
Burgess Hill
I was a Spurs "supporter" (I liked the club crest) up until the age of 7, at which time my dad took me to see a Brighton match at the Goldstone (1977) ....... after that didn't look back and been Albion since. But I guess if I hadn't gone to that match, or a match, then I probably would have been a Tottenham fan now *shrugs*

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Exactly. Thats just it isn't it. They THINK they have. But they've simply picked a team off the shelf. It takes no real effort, no true emotional investment to truly support a team like that, in the true sense of the word. They'll never experience the gut-wrenching tension of a Hereford, or the soaring dream-like high of a Wigan. They don't get home exhausted at 1am from a shite day-long trek to a 0-0 at Bury. They're just going through the motions, flatlining. Enjoying an element of comradeship with like-minded weak willed plastics, but without even coming close to what following a team is all about.

They'll never really "get it". Not really.

I couldn’t agree more. The worst bit is these ‘fans’ are always the most opinionated gobshites you’ll meet.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Going to be very interesting last game of the season should the game be on tv and both clubs have something to play for.

Which set of fans will the pub prefer to alienate!

If this is the case any Albion fans should get to the pub when it opens, and decorate the pub with BHA flags.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I was wondering about this when they did the "match day ritual" crap at the start. So that's your routine for...er....when Liverpool matches are on Sky or BT then?

What a bizarre film.

This. I mean WTF. Where is the atmosphere shouting at a TV screen. Hopelessly trying to create in a pub in Brighton, an atmosphere that they have never been to, seen to heard. Kn0bs.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A much more grounded watch is Shankly:Nature's Fire (BBC iplayer/ sky on demand). Just came across it, the man would despair of modern football. For him it was all about connecting club and community.

I found that too a couple of weeks back. A great doc on a brilliant man. Showed scenes of 100,000's in the city centre as he presented cups to the people, with his every insightful turn of phrase adored.

A million miles away from stirring/greedy agents, players having the upper hand and dollar fuelled trophy gatherers.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I actually see a Brighton season ticket holder wearing a Liverpool top in the celebrations around 4.40mins
He is still a Liverpool fan, two clubs ?

It's common, but few admit it. I know loads of Arsenal 'fans' who have Amex s/t's. They never or very rarely went to the Withdean.

It makes sense. 8,000 at best went to Withdean. The additional 20,000 now were by no means all Albion fans waiting in the wings.

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
I take a lot of comfort from the fact they will be beside themselves that their 'heroes' are in town tomorrow and the vast majority of them won't have a ticket.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here