Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Brighton Kop

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
This. Basically they chose the most successful club of their generation. I always wonder about the insecurity of a glory-seeker and how weak they must be to have to support a team that always wins rather than risk following their local team who may lose a fair bit.

Liverpool appear to be the most supported club in South Africa. And the demograpic? Indian/black race in their early teens and 20s its massive!

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
This. Basically they chose the most successful club of their generation. I always wonder about the insecurity of a glory-seeker and how weak they must be to have to support a team that always wins rather than risk following their local team who may lose a fair bit.
I cannot begin to tell you how exacerbated this is in Asia. I've seen local Leicester supporter clubs pop up in China that can filll a pub!

Unfortunately, if you want to be commercially successful in modern football, this sort of nonsense is something you need to embrace.

Sent from my SM-G9350 using Tapatalk

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
It's not on TV though, unless they show the semi-dodgy foreign streams.
I was wondering about this when they did the "match day ritual" crap at the start. So that's your routine for...er....when Liverpool matches are on Sky or BT then?

What a bizarre film.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I cannot begin to tell you how exacerbated this is in Asia. I've seen local Leicester supporter clubs pop up in China that can filll a pub!

Unfortunately, if you want to be commercially successful in modern football, this sort of nonsense is something you need to embrace.

Sent from my SM-G9350 using Tapatalk
I remember a few years back when I saw that some BELLEND in America had posted on Twitter that after the summer transfers he had his "Uk and Spanish teams good to go!".

It was Real Madrid and Chelsea and he obviously picked a different team each season based on who he thought was most likely to win.

There is no helping some people.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I was wondering about this when they did the "match day ritual" crap at the start. So that's your routine for...er....when Liverpool matches are on Sky or BT then?

What a bizarre film.

You'll neeeeeeeeevvvvveeeeerrr waaaaaalk alllooo... :shootself whilst waiting for Jeff Stelling to tell them they're a goal to the good probably.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
That's ****ing embarrassing. If any of them, and by their accents many could be, are from Brighton they should be tarred, feathered, branded with a giant L on their foreheads and dumped outside the city limits, banished never to return. The pricks.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I remember a few years back when I saw that some BELLEND in America had posted on Twitter that after the summer transfers he had his "Uk and Spanish teams good to go!".

It was Real Madrid and Chelsea and he obviously picked a different team each season based on who he thought was most likely to win.

There is no helping some people.

I always feel that's different though since they're from another country and are probably just passing interests just to say that they support someone. Football tourism is, in my book, different from british people born and raised glory supporting clubs on the other side of the country just to be associated with success, then coming out with some utter cop-out like suggesting they 'relate' to said club. I mean for ****s sake. We all know why they 'support' them, they'd get more respect being honest about it.

The sad thing is the people in this video seem an alright bunch (for the most part), and if they had been introduced to live football, would have gotten far, far more out of supporting the albion through these years than their faux support group.

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
Embarrassing, they are proud of Brighton the city but can't even support the local team on their doorstep, the ironic thing is gay fans are far more likely to be accepted by Brighton fans than any other EPL team so there is no real excuse. 100% Cringe.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I always feel that's different though since they're from another country and are probably just passing interests just to say that they support someone. Football tourism is, in my book, different from british people born and raised glory supporting clubs on the other side of the country just to be associated with success, then coming out with some utter cop-out like suggesting they 'relate' to said club. I mean for ****s sake. We all know why they 'support' them, they'd get more respect being honest about it.

The sad thing is the people in this video seem an alright bunch (for the most part), and if they had been introduced to live football, would have gotten far, far more out of supporting the albion through these years than their faux support group.

Yes that's a fair point and these tits are far worse offenders. But he was still a prize cock.

I don't pay that much attention to the NFL but I'm a Seahawks fan and have been for over 30 years. I'd never switch teams and even if I did then I definitely wouldn't be bragging about it on Twitter!

It's taking glory seeking to another level.

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway

I don’t think it’s different. I’m surrounded by it here in Norway where most people support Man U, Arsenal or Liverpool (and a few stuck with Leeds and Blackburn after their late 20th century exploits) and the time, money and dedication they put into their support of a club they have no connection to is cringeworthy. A lot of truckers have YNWA plastered across their lorry and the same acronym must be one of Norway’s most popular tattoos.

I always wonder what state Norwegian football might be in if they spent all the money they use on plane tickets, hotels and match tickets at agent rates on going to see their local club, buy the kit and create a decent atmosphere there.

My local club Brann is decent enough team with a traditional stadium near the city center which can generate some noise when enough people turn up. Unfortunately most football fans are the sofa cheering on ‘their’ teams and hoping they get some sort of bragging rights at work the next day.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Went to school with the guy 20 secs in. Born in Bradford, been a Liverpool fan as long as I've known him (35 years), has/had a season ticket at Amex.

No idea who he's supporting Saturday. Liverpool I would guess.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Embarrassing, they are proud of Brighton the city but can't even support the local team on their doorstep, the ironic thing is gay fans are far more likely to be accepted by Brighton fans than any other EPL team so there is no real excuse. 100% Cringe.

Yep, the irony lost on them it seems. They can 'relate' somehow to a club 300 miles away whose fans would no doubt rip the absolute shit out of them for who they are, yet there's a club round the corner with some of the most accepting fans in the country.

We don't have a european cup though, so you know, it balances out I guess.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The thing is, many people do just like watching football on the box, they don't want to go to games, so for them I guess there is a logic to picking a team that is on TV a lot more than others.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
270 miles from Anfield........ Bill would be proud
WTF
270 miles from Anfield. coupla lezzers who have never been to Liverpool....... Bill would be baffled more like

Feel free to mock their choice of football team (hell: I'm about to) but I really don't see the need to bring their sexuality into it.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
On to the video, meanwhile: what a load of old crap.

They've made out like the K&Q is some sort of red enclave in the heart of Brighton. It's just a massive pub that has big TV screens and shows a lot of football, which lets them hang their flags up when they come in. There's no permanent Liverpool decor to my knowledge. And "3000 Liverpool fans"? Give over: that pub never accommodates 3000 people (and even if it did, I'd imagine hundreds of fans with considerably better taste will go and drink elsewhere, in pubs that are actually good.

If this was a load of Man United fans, the Guardian would never have bothered, as they'd be getting absolute pelters for it. Why are Liverpool any different? Plastic fans, (almost) the lot of 'em.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here