Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Brighton Kop

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I am having a few arguments with some of them on the comments page, if anyone else fancies WADING in to mock the glory hunters then please do.

Quality stuff Wilko. Put them in their place (which is in front of a TV rather than at an actual game)

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I must admit that's my view as well; why do some people get so worked up over what teams other people support? It's not just football though: beer, comedy, music, you say what you like and someone else will hate you for it. Yes they are sad tossers, but so what? Anyway, we don't need or want any more fans - it's hard enough getting tickets at the moment as it is.

(Having said that if Liverpool win on Saturday and any southern-born Liverpool fan celebrates in front of me .... well I shall give them a stern talking-to.)

That's just it though isn't it? if you remove all connection, ie. Geography, Community etc then you end up just watching the 'product' and choosing based on the most successful and/or best marketed. Then this is passed down through generations ie. it's ok to support Chelsea because your old man did, but your yorkshire born old man supported Chelsea to be aligned with success and bragging rights.

This should be passionately fought against, which is why people get riled up about it. Personally couldn't care less about 100 non-albion supporting tosspots in a shit pub, but this isn't an isolated occurrence. You're right, we don't need the extra fans (right now) but there are plenty of clubs that need their local support up and down the country.

On the whole I do agree though, it is utterly futile so live and let live. I do wonder what football will become with this indifferent attitude though.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Sadly these are normal football fans now - we’re the weird ones.

No but "weird" is a construct isn't it? It's not weird that you support your local team and it's not weird that a bunch of people from Sussex support Liverpool. It just is.

People would be better off spending their time doing what they enjoy ie supporting the Albion rather than spending their time laughing about how embarrassing other people are being.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
i'm sure i heard the north stand referred to as the kop of the south back in the day ...excuse lack of capitals , I'm paraplegic ...x

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
No but "weird" is a construct isn't it? It's not weird that you support your local team and it's not weird that a bunch of people from Sussex support Liverpool. It just is.

People would be better off spending their time doing what they enjoy ie supporting the Albion rather than spending their time laughing about how embarrassing other people are being.

By weird, I mean not normal. Not average

The average football fan is almost definitely a plastic PL fan these days, it's just the way of it.

I'm not commenting on whether that is good or bad, just how it is.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I work with 5 brighton born reds. All in there early 50s so latched on during Liverpool's glory yrs. They've probably watched them live 50 times between them over all that time. Just don't get it

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I work with 5 brighton born reds. All in there early 50s so latched on during Liverpool's glory yrs. They've probably watched them live 50 times between them over all that time. Just don't get it

I work in Liverpool and my boss, born in Liverpool and lived there all his life, supports Man Utd. I don’t think he has ever been to see them.

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
If they love the club that much why don’t they go to the games. Not saying every game, but at the very least once a season. Don’t give me that can’t get a ticket shite. Try the league cup, sure they don’t get 60,000 for that. Anyway, if they were an associated club to LFC surely they must be able to negociate a ticketing deal. Twits.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
By weird, I mean not normal. Not average

The average football fan is almost definitely a plastic PL fan these days, it's just the way of it.

I'm not commenting on whether that is good or bad, just how it is.

ALWAYS the way. As a 12 year old at HGSB in 1970, we all brought our homework to school in a football bag. Mine was Leeds United. Everyone 'followed' a div 1 team. But many of us went to the Goldstone. Goldston was another world, lacking glamour, MOTD (vs Villa that day being he exception for us) and not 'real' like what it was on the telly.

I think things are actually better these days. MUCH better.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Seems like quite a decent group, but really, what a waste. 'Singing at the screen'? When you could be doing all that you are already, but at an actual football stadium.

Its a bit like this:

real thing.jpg

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I haven't read all of this thread.

May I just assume that my adding the following is in line with the Shiteguiest.

**** right off.

Enjoy yourselves

But.....

**** right off.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Fortunately SUSSEX now has a club that kids can be proud of.
When I was a kid my grandmother's husband got me a Liverpool pin badge for Christmas and told me that was the club I should support ... he worked for Villa as a youth coach.
I declined, never got it.
...anyway, good luck to them.

****ing bizarre.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
The more I think about this the more utterly ridiculous it seems. It's just glory seeking pricks who don't understand the first thing about supporting a football team and what that really means.

One of my son's mates from cricket is a Chelsea fan. His dad is Wednesday, the kid was born and raised in Sheffield. The dad is a lovely bloke but has now basically become a Chelsea fan as well. Going to games "well, it's actually cheaper than tickets for Wednesday" and constantly checking for transfer info etc.

If Abromavich pulls the plug then I presume they'll switch to City.

It's the total opposite of me and my son and I will never get it.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
I remember a few years back when I saw that some BELLEND in America had posted on Twitter that after the summer transfers he had his "Uk and Spanish teams good to go!".

It was Real Madrid and Chelsea and he obviously picked a different team each season based on who he thought was most likely to win.

There is no helping some people.
I choose my NFL team at the start of each season based on a random number generator. I have no affiliation with any team but enjoy the sport.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
i have no doubt there is a Chelsea and Manure version of the same thing elsewhere in town. You don't have to wander very far - any pub in town showing a game involving any one of Liverpool, Chelsea, Manure, Spurs or Arsenal and the pub is full of them. Fair enough if you were born in one of those places and have found yourself down here, but its mostly local people. Winds me up.

I supported Arsenal when i was 6. But I grew up.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here