Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goodbye to "Ladies and Gentleman"

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Which implies it negatively affected some to begin with, the part I struggle to fathom.

Not quite as confusing as posts like this implying people are getting annoyed about it. I stated it was ****ing ridiculous, that's an opinion not a complaint.

The fact you feel the need to include swearing in your answer suggests to me that you are at least a little annoyed. You say opionion, I say complaining either way I don't really get the problem with changing a few words to make a few people feel more comfortable, its hardly the end of civilidsation is it?**

** If you are a Looney then apparently it is but we'll keep this within the realms of sanity.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
On one hand it doesn't bother me in the slightest. On the other it's a very strong signal of a society and culture that is no longer sure of itself and is weakening. Quite worrying in some respects.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Imagine the conspiracy theories flying about if they had tried to do it under the radar? The right wing press would be frothing at the mouth.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

In my opinion the passengers wouldn't have noticed.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Far better off just displaying the information on the ticker screen. Pre-recorded notices are a waste of time anyway, reminding you to drink water and don't leave stuff unattended. And the live announcements are either too quiet, said in such a heavily scented Nigerian twang that you can't understand it, infused with the announcers own unique brand of "humour", or said in such a way that you know the guy really wishes he was an airline pilot.

"Hello Ladies and Gentlemen, I'd like to welcome you aboard the 08:32 to Didcot Parkway. Firstly may I apologise for the 3 previously cancelled trains and the delay to the start of your journey with us today, we hope this doesn't cause too much disruption to your onward journey. The train is made up of 1 coach and I can be found at the far end of the carriage should you require any assistance during this Southern Rail journey this morning. May I remind you not to leave bags unattended and to report anything suspicious. Once again I'd like to welcome you aboard this Southern Rail service, I will be embarking on my ticket check soon so please have your tickets, railcards or excuse ready. Once again tha..."

SHUT. UP.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Which goes back to the point I'm trying to make.
Why the announcement?

I agree with you, sadly the world we live in says that we must make a big deal of everything and discuss it to death. My preferable way would be to do it and then say "Oh that, yeah we did that to make people feel more included".

The problem with doing things this way is certain factions of society would be asking "Why didn't they announce this? Are they trying to get it in through the back door? What have they got to hide? this is the breakdown of society as we know it!"

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
Sadiq Khan is a complete and utter c*nt of the highest order.

Trying to latch on to anything he can and also stoking any fires that make him look good.

Enjoy your 1 term and then go to where you really would love to live.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I agree with you, sadly the world we live in says that we must make a big deal of everything and discuss it to death. My preferable way would be to do it and then say "Oh that, yeah we did that to make people feel more included".

The problem with doing things this way is certain factions of society would be asking "Why didn't they announce this? Are they trying to get it in through the back door? What have they got to hide? this is the breakdown of society as we know it!"

Fair comments, but I still don't think anyone would have noticed if TFL had just changed the way they addressed their customers/ passengers, unless a member of TFL had gone to the press of course.

For me travelling on the tube isn't something I enjoy, and the last thing I would worry about is what the announcement is calling me.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

really the problem with doing that way is there's no plaudits gained from virtue signalling. the "ladies and gentleman" address is infrequent, it doesnt fit in the normal pattern of announcements: "the next train...", "in this time of heighten security...", "the Central line is buggered...", "TfL would ask passengers..." stuff like that is what you hear on the tube.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
really the problem with doing that way is there's no plaudits gained from virtue signalling. the "ladies and gentleman" address is infrequent, it doesnt fit in the normal pattern of announcements: "the next train...", "in this time of heighten security...", "the Central line is buggered...", "TfL would ask passengers..." stuff like that is what you hear on the tube.
Plenty of virtue signalling going on on this thread.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Sadiq Khan is a complete and utter c*nt of the highest order.

Trying to latch on to anything he can and also stoking any fires that make him look good.

Enjoy your 1 term and then go to where you really would love to live.

He's lived in London all his life, seems to enjoy it :shrug:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
George Michael's going to be really pissed off.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
How the **** has this got to 10 pages?! Who gives a solitary shit?

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
google-gender-neutral-bathroom-sign-1475248567.jpg

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
You would not believe he enjoys it they way he constantly slags everything about this Country.

Nice broad statement there. I'm assuming you've got some sort of link for his slagging off of "everything" ? From our immigration policy down to the mating rituals of the badgers?

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
The fact you feel the need to include swearing in your answer suggests to me that you are at least a little annoyed. You say opionion, I say complaining either way I don't really get the problem with changing a few words to make a few people feel more comfortable, its hardly the end of civilidsation is it?**

** If you are a Looney then apparently it is but we'll keep this within the realms of sanity.

I'm a regular potty mouth, so I wouldn't use that as a sign of anything.

Hopefully not a Looney though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here