Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
We're The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, the land of hope and glory, the 5th largest economy in the world, our best days are ahead of us etc - Brexit means Brexit and we can pay for that, so we can afford the Labour manifesto too.

you seem fixed on one issue (as am i...) but here it is: cost of Brexit estimated at £30-40bn (assuming drop in GDP, which assumes no deal leading to substantial fall in trade with EU, etc, etc) by 2030. cost of Labour manifesto is at least 500bn by 2027, with further yearly £80b on repayment (rising from £43bn today), assuming no rise in interest. thats committed spend in the manifesto, verse possible costs from possible scenario to Brexit. work it out.

just to labour the point, today we spend some 8% of tax on debt repayment, by end of the manifesto pledged that would have doubled. more money on interest repayments than the education budget.

Last edited:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
you seem fixed on one issue... but here it is: cost of Brexit estmated at £30-40bn (assuming drop in GDP, which assumes no deal leading to substantial fall in trade with EU, etc, etc) by 2030. cost of Labour manifesto is at least 500bn by 2027, with further £80b on repayment, assuming no rise in interest. thats committed spend in the manifesto, verse possible costs from possible scenario to Brexit. work it out.

So a no deal Brexit and fall in GDP is only going to cost an estimated £30BN over the next 17 years then? I read a BOA report that put it at a cost of 5-10% of GDP by 2030 equating to £100-£200BN. There are others costs and implications to Brexit too, not just money as well, but as Brexit is all about believe, we can believe who we want.

I know Labour propose spending £500Billion extra over the next 10 years. If that's what people want and vote for, so be it. Their manifesto at least seems more popular than The Conservatives one.

As Brexit means Brexit, Labour means Labour, No deal is better than a bad deal, any non Tory candidate, is better than a Tory one etc- they've got my vote for the first time in 20 years.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
People are voting for Kyle?

Yes, given the other main option is Kristy Adams who believes she can perform miracles, believes Southern is not responsible for the poor service, is unable to confirm whether she was in favour of Brexit or not, is unable to answer press questions but refers them to her campaign manager .....

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
So a no deal Brexit and fall in GDP is only going to cost an estimated £30BN over the next 17 years then? I read a BOA report that put it at a cost of 5-10% of GDP by 2030 equating to £100-£200BN. There are others costs and implications to Brexit too, not just money as well, but as Brexit is all about believe, we can believe who we want.

I know Labour propose spending £500Billion extra over the next 10 years. If that's what people want and vote for, so be it. Their manifesto at least seems more popular than The Conservatives one.

As Brexit means Brexit, Labour means Labour, No deal is better than a bad deal, any non Tory candidate, is better than a Tory one etc- they've got my vote for the first time in 20 years.

Be interesting how the fragrant Ms Rudd shapes up under pressure at the televised debate tonight, then again if it is an absolute disaster Dacre, Murdoch and the rest will say she smashed it

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

I saw he's telling the kids in the Croydon massive where it's at too.

DA_i0pcWsAEp3bJ.jpg

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Be interesting how the fragrant Ms Rudd shapes up under pressure at the televised debate tonight, then again if it is an absolute disaster Dacre, Murdoch and the rest will say she smashed it

Of course they will. She is seriously the odd-one out now in this 'leaders' debate and Corbyn caught them on the hop here. It wouldn't surprise me if we had a further twist between now and the debate.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Apparently May isn’t doing the TV debates as what an election campaign should be about is going out and meeting voters.

If that is the case why is May’s Home Secretary and fellow Tory MP (and general basketcase) Amber Rudd, doing the TV debate and not going out and meeting voters?

And why did she do the Paxman debate? She could have been out meeting voters? And the Neil interview, she could have been out meeting voters? And the One Show, why wasn't she out meeting voters?

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Apparently May isn’t doing the TV debates as what an election campaign should be about is going out and meeting voters.

If that is the case why is May’s Home Secretary and fellow Tory MP (and general basketcase) Amber Rudd, doing the TV debate and not going out and meeting voters?

And why did she do the Paxman debate? She could have been out meeting voters? And the Neil interview, she could have been out meeting voters? And the One Show, why wasn't she out meeting voters?

There are many contradictions whenever May speaks. There were several more contradictions to the answers of media questions you are referring to. She's an entirely fake career politicians.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I am afraid through the Labour years it was frowned upon to be patriotic, even in school sports day winning was dumbed down. Whilst other countries were proudly flying their flag ours was frowned upon. Like the events that have happened of late, others are more important than our own it seems.
I would have thought that one of you would be bright enough to understand that it's not the concept of getting our country back that is being criticised but the fact that the phrase itself is daft nonsense that means 50 per cent of bugger-all.

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
May seems very uncomfortable on TV unless she's prepared to the max. She was nervous and struggled under the scrutiny of Andrew Neil. The Sky/C5 Q&A is something she could've prepared for up to a point and she dealt with it fairly well. However the live TV debate on the BBC is a bit of a free for all and she is very uncomfortable in those situations. I don't think she's able to deal with the brawl style political debating where she has to think on her feet quickly, hence not doing the live leader debates.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Again: Nicola Sturgeon (I assume that's who you mean) is not a UK MP so she could not hold any role in any government formed.

How does this nuance escape so many people so often?

Rather like the woman who was interviewed when Sky were asking people in the street their opinion after May was pronounced leader - "I wanted Nigel Farage as Prime Minister". :facepalm:

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
There are many contradictions whenever May speaks. There were several more contradictions to the answers of media questions you are referring to. She's an entirely fake career politicians.

Quite and lets face it the real reason she isnt doing them is that she would be exposed as the ‘blowhard who collapses at the first sign of gunfire’ that she is (that Paxman rightly pointed out) and thus completely rendering her entire strong and stable difficult woman charade obsolete.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
I can never understand the Tory vote unless you are a wealthy business owner who doesn't care about the under privileged in society.

Too much is made of the image of each leader rather than the manifesto. Although I thought Corbyn came across considerably better than stuttering u-turning May. However i am willing to vote for whoever has the best manifesto and this year it seems that the Tories are hanging themselves.

We all want what’s best for the country… [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] [MENTION=26105]Soulman[/MENTION] please could you explain to me how any good can be seen with some of the Tory manifesto.

Stopping of school lunches

Removal of the Ivory Trade ban

Reductions of the winter fuel allowance

Dementia tax (I can slightly understand this one)

For my sanity and to also highlight that you guys just don’t vote blue for the sake of it can you please at least comment on the 4 pledges above?

I would also really like to hear a handful of Tory manifesto pledges you like?

I would rather Corbyn negotiate Brexit. Unfortunately we are have to negotiate a Brexit deal. I would rather Corbyn do that than a ‘Stubborn, Awkward’ woman like May. We are in no position with the EU to be awkward and stubborn and I feel this may cost us. No deal would be an absolute disaster. I read that we wouldn’t even be able to land commercial planes to these countries.

What is a bad deal exactly? Is that a deal that is worse than the one we currently have being part of the EU? I can assure you we will not be getting a better deal than we currently have as we have to be made an example of. So a bad deal seems guaranteed? Does this subsequently mean that we won’t therefore make a deal?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here