Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
May never really asked to be leader, she is not a very good speaker really, but i think she has the UK's best interests at heart, Corbyn, well he is far from trustworthy on patriotism imo.

I don't think I could disagree more with this statement*.

Though of course that would depend on your definition of 'patriotism'. He's not a nationalist, that's for sure, but IMO he is the one of the two who actually DOES have the 'best interest' of the PEOPLE of the UK at heart.

*Apart from the bit about May being a shit leader.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
People are voting for Kyle?

Blimey. I recall [MENTION=1416]Ernest[/MENTION]'s posts on NSC about him were pretty vicious. As someone who doesn't follow the Brighton & Hove political scene that closely, I had taken the view that he was a dreadful MP, both in the local sense and more broadly.

I might need to dig out those posts. Not to embarrass [MENTION=1416]Ernest[/MENTION] again, obviously. Just to remind myself.

Kyle is an excellent constituency MP, this coming g from a Tory.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Corbyn is going to attend the BBC TV Debate this evening.

Home Sec Amber Rudd(y useless) will be batting for the blues.

#interestingtimes

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I can't vote for May. She's woeful.

I could vote for Corbyn, but I can't vote for a party that would include the likes of Abbott and McDonnell, both of whom seem utterly incompetent, in the make up of its cabinet. I am also concerned about the vast amounts of money that Labour wish to borrow and have doubts about how they could finance the "free everything" spree being promised.

So, almost by default, I expect to be voting Lib Dem. Again though, it's a real shame that Nick Clegg is not their main man for this election as I have a huge amount of time for him.

have you considered voting for the local candidate...? find it an odd view to say cant vote May as she's woeful (true), then turn to Farron.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I don't think I could disagree more with this statement*.

Though of course that would depend on your definition of 'patriotism'. He's not a nationalist, that's for sure, but IMO he is the one of the two who actually DOES have the 'best interest' of the PEOPLE of the UK at heart.

*Apart from the bit about May being a shit leader.

Fair enough. I do know after reading many reports from her constituents, that May is very good and speaks well and from the heart, that is in private though. Corbyn may seem to have the "interests of the PEOPLE of the UK at heart", but in negotiations with the EU i think he would sell us well short.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Fair enough, at least my question was based on figures/facts, yours was just predictions based on your opinions, the same as mine would have been.......and predicting "five years" ahead......really.

Do you actually think I know the answer to your question or was I just going to offer my opinion?

If it's the former you have a higher opinion of me than I do and you should probably nominate me to be PM or something?!

If it's the later then you're just making stuff up as you go along and catching yourself out in the process, I.e. You want my opinion but won't give yours because you only like facts.

Either way well OT now, so have a good rest of the day!

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
He makes a very good point. How have they spun a work permit system into an open doors policy ? This system is all about managed immigration based on business need and yet was rejected by the Government shortly after the referendum despite working well in places like Australia.

Levels of immigration in Aust are way higher than ours per capita than ours

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Fair enough. I do know after reading many reports from her constituents, that May is very good and speaks well and from the heart, that is in private though. Corbyn may seem to have the "interests of the PEOPLE of the UK at heart", but in negotiations with the EU i think he would sell us well short.

I don't really care how well she speaks, though. That is all just part of the image / personality contest that is so damaging to UK politics. I care about WHAT she says, rather than how she says it. And I really don't like what she has to say.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
I will be taking part in tonight's debate because I believe we must give people the chance to hear and engage with the leaders of the main parties before they vote. I have never been afraid of a debate in my life. Labour's campaign has been about taking our polices to people across the country and listening to the concerns of voters. The Tories have been conducting a stage-managed arms-length campaign and have treated the public with contempt. Refusing to join me in Cambridge tonight would be another sign of Theresa May's weakness, not strength.

High risk strategy from Corbyn given other parties will gang up on him. However, by announcing it so soon before the debate it brings the issue of May not turning up back into the spotlight, and that will potentially have more of an impact than the debate itself will.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

Do you think Keir Starmer would? I would guess he'd head up the negotiations for Labour.

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
Smart move by Corbyn to take part in the debate, completely wrongfooting May. PR disaster for her.

Agreed, great move from him, should have always said he was going to do it to be honest. How Theresa May can justify not turning up for this is beyond comprehension. I suppose form the Conservative perspective Amber Rudd will come across much better, despite not agreeing with her she is a competent performer in front of the camera.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Again: Nicola Sturgeon (I assume that's who you mean) is not a UK MP so she could not hold any role in any government formed.

How does this nuance escape so many people so often?

She'd still be running the strings from Scotland though!

The unwavering unity of the SNP is something for most of the other parties to aspire to.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Again: Nicola Sturgeon (I assume that's who you mean) is not a UK MP so she could not hold any role in any government formed.

Indeed - it would be Angus Robertson which is a very scary thought !

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
People are voting for Kyle?

Blimey. I recall [MENTION=1416]Ernest[/MENTION]'s posts on NSC about him were pretty vicious. As someone who doesn't follow the Brighton & Hove political scene that closely, I had taken the view that he was a dreadful MP, both in the local sense and more broadly.

I might need to dig out those posts. Not to embarrass [MENTION=1416]Ernest[/MENTION] again, obviously. Just to remind myself.

If anyone can dig them out it's you but pre-2015 I'm sure I posted several times that I would vote for who I considered the best constituency MP. Peter Kyle talked to me personally not once but twice during the campaign as well as getting involved in local campaigns to improve parks and road crossings.

He got my vote and has worked hard since. He replied very quickly to my emails regarding Southern Rail and, together with Caroline Lucas has regularly raised the issue in parliament (unlike Simon Kirby, now he really is ****ing useless). He responds on email and social media - not unlike a certain Mr Barber - and, guess what, we've already had a visit from him on this campaign. Last time round he also held public meetings at a local pub and scout hut and this time did so at St Anne's Well festival.

I haven't even seen the gay-hating faith healer, nor the soldier hating embarrassment of a Green candidate, nor the Lib Dem.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

You are right think the position would probably remain with Labour, though Argus R would probably end up on the cabinet. I'm not sure what would be worse, Tories with a massive majority or such a coalition.

I'd settle for a Tory majority of two.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here