Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
No overall majority the best part of 5/1 with Betfair. Lump on.

I can't help thinking that we're going to be surprised by the result, one way or another. I suspect that, once some people get to the quiet of the polling booth and they're not being badgered by friends, families and celebrities, they just go and vote for the same old party they always do. To many, a polling booth seems like a bad place to take a "risk". Having said that, at 5/1, surely worth a punt.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
In a big way they were. Brown's watchword was 'Prudence' yet he let bank lending get completely out of control - he even gave Fred Goodwin a knighthood. He was lazy and scared of doing anything that would affect his poll ratings - and stopping all those cheap loans was a certain way of doing that. OK, the financial crisis was worldwide, but we could have done more about it.

There is history beyond the modern era here. In fact, it goes back to Sir Isaac Newton's work transforming the Royal Mint and the recoinage of 1696 which made Britain the centre of trust in the financial world, with money flowing through the capital globally such was the trust in the currency. So a lot happens in history until we get to Thatcher who deregulated the banks and building societies and the UK economy become driven by financial institutions, Northern Rock and Bradford and Bingley as privatised building societies pursing risky investment strategies can be traced back to her deregulation of the 1980s. The Conservatives of course presided over 2 big recessions, neither of which were global and were of their own policy making.

Labour could have and should have pursued introducing stricter financial controls, but they did set up the FSA and introduced the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000. However by then the UK economy was and continues to be reliant disproportionally on its financial sectors.

In this hypothetical argument of further regulations that Labour could have introduced between '97 and '07, there cannot be any credence given to the notion that the Conservatives would have increased regulations (that they had deregulated) during that same period - they simply wouldn't have done.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I don't think that's totally true, in polling, labour policies have picked up a huge majority as being favourable. I think this manifesto with a different front bench would do it. I winder if labour doing "well" in the context of where they were/where they are now will see more backbenchers on board and a reshuffle in the near future. Deffo think you're right abouty May though, either way, the fallout of this election for both parties will be intertesting to watch.

That's how ludicrous the situation is though - Without that front bench, the manifesto would be much more centrist but it's not and it's very popular yet the media campaign against Corbyn will probably be successful. The penny is beginning to drop amongst the electorate but it's probably too late.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

CherryInHove

Apr 16, 2015
That's how ludicrous the situation is though - Without that front bench, the manifesto would be much more centrist but it's not and it's very popular yet the media campaign against Corbyn will probably be successful. The penny is beginning to drop amongst the electorate but it's probably too late.

If we had another couple of weeks before the election, I think that Labour could win it, but with the snap election, they didn't have enough time to turn things around.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
There is history beyond the modern era here. In fact, it goes back to Sir Isaac Newton's work transforming the Royal Mint and the recoinage of 1696 which made Britain the centre of trust in the financial world, with money flowing through the capital globally such was the trust in the currency. So a lot happens in history until we get to Thatcher who deregulated the banks and building societies and the UK economy become driven by financial institutions, Northern Rock and Bradford and Bingley as privatised building societies pursing risky investment strategies can be traced back to her deregulation of the 1980s. The Conservatives of course presided over 2 big recessions, neither of which were global and were of their own policy making.

Labour could have and should have pursued introducing stricter financial controls, but they did set up the FSA and introduced the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000. However by then the UK economy was and continues to be reliant disproportionally on its financial sectors.

In this hypothetical argument of further regulations that Labour could have introduced between '97 and '07, there cannot be any credence given to the notion that the Conservatives would have increased regulations (that they had deregulated) during that same period - they simply wouldn't have done.

Yep - the Conservatives were actually pushing for further deregulation.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Ignoring the fact perhaps that it was a Lib Dem coalition agreement policy to raise the tax thresholds, raising the income tax threshold was not in the Tory 2010 manifesto or a policy of theirs. The very first thing they did was raise VAT to 20% and cut the higher rate of income tax and cut corporation tax.

That isn't to say raising income tax thresholds isn't a good thing, which of course it is.
Oh right. How can you start by saying ignoring the FACT perhaps that it was ????????????? If its a fact, then it was or it wasn't, there's no perhaps about it.

So lets get this clear.

It was the Lib Dems who raised the tax threshold.

It was the Tory's who raised VAT, cut the higher rate of tax and corporation tax.

Evil ****ers the Tories aren't they. Makes you wonder how they are in power, and makes you wonder why the will still be in power come the end of the week. Who would vote for these people? It can't be the majority, as they only thionk of their rich friends. Maybe the 1% of rich friends, get to vote a hundred times each. That must be it. The rich people must get to vote more than once.

Or maybe the majority of the country, are not as stupid as they look!

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
The other factor is that by calling the election she's ruled out 2 months of the 24 available to negotiate a deal with the EU. Getting that deal in 2 years was always going to be tight at best; losing 2 months makes it virtually impossible, and it's also given the EU something of a head start over us. So even if she wins this election it could come back to haunt her personally in 2019. I could see the Tory movers and shakers let her take all of the sh1t over not getting a deal, then replace her mid-term once the die has been cast with us having to switch to WTO rules.
They haven't started yet. Election of not, negotiations were not going to start until mid June. See didn't even call the election 2 months ago, so come on, play fair.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Oh right. How can you start by saying ignoring the FACT perhaps that it was ????????????? If its a fact, then it was or it wasn't, there's no perhaps about it.

So lets get this clear.

It was the Lib Dems who raised the tax threshold.

It was the Tory's who raised VAT, cut the higher rate of tax and corporation tax.

Evil ****ers the Tories aren't they. Makes you wonder how they are in power, and makes you wonder why the will still be in power come the end of the week. Who would vote for these people? It can't be the majority, as they only thionk of their rich friends. Maybe the 1% of rich friends, get to vote a hundred times each. That must be it. The rich people must get to vote more than once.

Or maybe the majority of the country, are not as stupid as they look!

Oooookay, not one for entering into a sensible debate then I see...

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
It's actually quite funny but also extremely depressing how deluded the "great" British public are

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Oooookay, not one for entering into a sensible debate then I see...

Obviously not, if you are going to start a reply with Ignoring the fact perhaps........... As I said If its a fact, then it was or it wasn't a fact, there's no perhaps about it.

Maybe next time start with" Perhaps it was the Tories... blah blah blah, " rather than state perhaps it was a fact!

For the record, I think the Tories will get their majority on Thursday.

Discussing politics with the left, is a bit like discussing the existence of god with a religious nut. A waste of time. They only hear what they want to hear and ignore the truth no matter how obvious it is.

Reading this thread you would think Tories are wrong 100% of the time, and Labour are the perfect party, and have never put a foot wrong.

Thank **** people go to the voting booth alone, and haven't got some left wing windbag in their ear.

Can't wait for Friday. A Tory government, a Labour party on its last legs.

Hopefully a realistic opposition to keep the Tories on their toes will raise out of the ashes of old Labour. Do you really think the country is stupid enough to vote in Corbyn, Abbott, and McDonnell into power???

Seriously??? If you do, enjoy the last few days of your dreams. You will wake up from them Friday with a jolt.

And before anyone mention the latest Polls, have a little think back to the referendum, and last election. I am surprised they even bother with polls any more.

D

Deleted member 2719

I'm still going Tory majority of somewhere between 30 and 40.

Yeah but what about the uni limp PC gang that didn't even live through the IRA years and the union lovers who still bleat on about the miners.

Surely they will be out in force, we have at least 3 of them on this thread.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Obviously not, if you are going to start a reply with Ignoring the fact perhaps........... As I said If its a fact, then it was or it wasn't a fact, there's no perhaps about it.

Maybe next time start with" Perhaps it was the Tories... blah blah blah, " rather than state perhaps it was a fact!

For the record, I think the Tories will get their majority on Thursday.

Discussing politics with the left, is a bit like discussing the existence of god with a religious nut. A waste of time. They only hear what they want to hear and ignore the truth no matter how obvious it is.

Reading this thread you would think Tories are wrong 100% of the time, and Labour are the perfect party, and have never put a foot wrong.

Thank **** people go to the voting booth alone, and haven't got some left wing windbag in their ear.

Can't wait for Friday. A Tory government, a Labour party on its last legs.

Hopefully a realistic opposition to keep the Tories on their toes will raise out of the ashes of old Labour. Do you really think the country is stupid enough to vote in Corbyn, Abbott, and McDonnell into power???

Seriously??? If you do, enjoy the last few days of your dreams. You will wake up from them Friday with a jolt.

And before anyone mention the latest Polls, have a little think back to the referendum, and last election. I am surprised they even bother with polls any more.

You're on a roll now! You really are making a great case for the people who only hear what they want to hear. :lolol:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Tory majority of 55 suggests this Brexit-predicting, LibDem voting centrist remainer.

It's one of those elections where I think many Tory voters from 2015 are not thrilled by May and her policies, and who might be polling Labour, but when it comes to the moment in the booth, will vote Conservative again. I think she will increase her majority slightly, not by much, but enough to spin the whole election as the right thing to do, a mandate etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here