Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

Scotchegg

Sep 1, 2014
Brighton
Uninspiring is the least of it. Her remark about back doors in encryption technology is the stupidest comment I've ever heard from a British politician (and that's saying something). The future is going to be more and more e-commerce and Internet transactions and to want to withdraw the UK from this world is totally bonkers.

I didn't hear her remarks on back doors, but I can guess it's like all governments and displaying a severe lack of knowledge as per. I love how they seem to think that this back door will be kept a secret forever and only for them! This time it will be secure, trust us! Despite the fact that back doors have shown us time and time again, that if they're there, they'll be found and abused. Shocking lack of knowledge or total disregard for user safety and that's exactly why I support the tech companies for giving them the middle finger until now.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Corbin has personally performed better than expected but his policies and previous beliefs are being ignored. The man is a disaster. That said, the Tory campaign has lost its way. May really needs to show some proper leadership over terrorism and very very quickly.

The Tory campaign has been truly appalling and Mrs.May's performance has been abysmal.
Nevertheless, do we really want a Marxist Chancellor in this country and a fruitloop like Abbott as Home Secretary?
I personally think May is out of her depth and, whatever the outcome of the election, will face serious challenges to her position. Of course, if the Tories lose, she will have to resign and her political career will be well and truly over.
Am a bit fed up with all this blame game surrounding the terrorist outrages and no-one has all the answers; indeed, there can be no complete answer if we want to live in a free society.
I shall be voting Conservative on Thursday, albeit, ashamed of the pathetic campaign, because the thought of the alternative is truly awful.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The Tory campaign has been truly appalling and Mrs.May's performance has been abysmal.
Nevertheless, do we really want a Marxist Chancellor in this country and a fruitloop like Abbott as Home Secretary?
I personally think May is out of her depth and, whatever the outcome of the election, will face serious challenges to her position. Of course, if the Tories lose, she will have to resign and her political career will be well and truly over.
Am a bit fed up with all this blame game surrounding the terrorist outrages and no-one has all the answers; indeed, there can be no complete answer if we want to live in a free society.
I shall be voting Conservative on Thursday, albeit, ashamed of the pathetic campaign, because the thought of the alternative is truly awful.

Good summary.

I was indifferent to Corbyn before this election, although it's been fascinating to see the Labour Party's angst during his tenure. I've warmed to him over the campaign though and the contrast between May and him couldn't be more stark.

Like you though, I couldn't vote for a party that would include Abbott and McDonnell in a cabinet. I appreciate that their lofty positions is due in no small part to Labour's turmoil. Maybe there are genuinely no better "friendly" candidates available to Corbyn. If so, that is also very damning on what the Labour Party have become.

As things stand, I haven't swayed from my intention to vote Lib Dem as I believe it's important to demonstrate support for the middle ground when our politics has otherwise become so polarised.

D

Deleted member 2719

If you don't want the terrorists to win - you have to vote Conservative.

I agree, but there is another option, BNP.

I am not sure the BNP movement will ever get going, but if we let the limp Corbyn in, it could get very messy.

One think i think we can all agree in, we need a strong leader for the next term or we will be ****ed security wise.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I agree, but there is another option, BNP.

I am not sure the BNP movement will ever get going, but if we let the limp Corbyn in, it could get very messy.

One think i think we can all agree in, we need a strong leader for the next term or we will be ****ed security wise.

Are you suggesting we best vote for a nationalist party like the Tories, then the BNP will never be a threat??

Credit to Albion fans not one person has voted BNP in any of the polls. Infact just remove them, they are irrelevant. Much to the disappointment of ISIS, I'm sure they thought they could stir up some race hate with these attacks

Scotchegg

Sep 1, 2014
Brighton
Are you suggesting we best vote for a nationalist party like the Tories, then the BNP will never be a threat??

Credit to Albion fans not one person has voted BNP in any of the polls. Infact just remove them, they are irrelevant. Much to the disappointment of ISIS, I'm sure they thought they could stir up some race hate with these attacks

I didn't even realise they were still trying. Just looked it up and they're standing in 10 seats? Any locally? I've not seen a peep, but then they never had much of a presence round here.

larus

There hasn't been much austerity ? Jesus what a statement

To answer question it's both .

It's all about smashing the poor , vulnerable and elderly and those at the top getting a freer ride . ( but of course the media tells you it's all ok so carry on thinking that as maybe your personally ok)

So raising Tax thresholds from 6,475 to 11,000 is smashing the poor is it.

If you want to talk about austerity, look at Greece, Spain, Ireland and Portugal.

The problem is that left wingers think that they can get everything they want by someone else paying for it and the age-old thing of 'tax the rich & the tories are for the rich'. The country doesn't consist of over 40% rich people. I have mates who are carpenters. plumbers etc who will vote tory because they believe in working hard and paying your own way, not expecting others to pay for them.

Scotchegg

Sep 1, 2014
Brighton

If you want to talk about austerity, look at Greece, Spain, Ireland and Portugal.

The problem is that left wingers think that they can get everything they want by someone else paying for it and the age-old thing of 'tax the rich & the tories are for the rich'. The country doesn't consist of over 40% rich people. I have mates who are carpenters. plumbers etc who will vote tory because they believe in working hard and paying your own way, not expecting others to pay for them.

This post suggests than anyone on the left doesn't work hard, doesn't contribute and expects everyone to pay their way for them. And you talk about "age-old things".

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Credit to Albion fans not one person has voted BNP in any of the polls.

Indeed. But one little thought niggles at the back of my mind - if anyone was planning to vote BNP, would they actually come out and say so on NSC? We know the polls over the years have been distorted by the presence of 'shy tories'. If people are shy about voting Tory, how much more likely are there to be some 'shy BNP' voters around.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
This post suggests than anyone on the left doesn't work hard, doesn't contribute and expects everyone to pay their way for them. And you talk about "age-old things".

LOL

Also seems to imply that he knows someone who confesses to voting for this lot.

In my experience most are ashamed and keep it quiet.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Theresa May has let all this happen on her watch, as Home Secretary and now PM. That statement, frankly, is ridiculous.

I don't really think that having a different Home Secretary or PM would necessarily have prevented these outrages and the current blame game is not very helpful.
In any event, we don't know how many outrages have been prevented over the last 7 or so years.
Fact is, in a free society such as ours, there will always be opportunities for nutters to do their worst.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
There is an excellent article here from boingboing about why that comment is so ridiculous. Definitely worth a read as it's broken down so one can understand it even if they're not highly versed in information security.

That's an excellent article

I'm still gobsmacked by the mind-numbingly, bollock-brained idea of unsecure encryption. By that suggestion alone, May has demonstrated that she's unfit for public office

larus

No, lots of left-wingers are very hard working. However, the premise of Labour policy is (nearly) always that we can have all these wonderful first class services in NHS, Education, Defence, Roads, Rail, Policing etc. yet the average Joe doesn't need to pay anymore as we can get all of this money from those nasty rich corporations and business men.

There are major problems/challenges for this country, yet this constant battle between left/right Labour/Tory is pathetic. Whatever 1 party says, the other disagrees with.

It's so easy in opposition to slate the government, but the reality is that the conservatives inherited a country running a 10% deficit. That is not sustainable and so difficult decisions had to be made. Labour opposed every cut/freeze yet never suggested where cuts could be made. Labour supporters totally ignore the fact that on their last watch, the economy was left f*cked.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
That's an excellent article

I'm still gobsmacked by the mind-numbingly, bollock-brained idea of unsecure encryption. By that suggestion alone, May has demonstrated that she's unfit for public office

think there needs to be a reality check as some clearly contradictory thinking going on from left and right. people ask "do something", the security services say "we need access to data and peoples communications", libertarians and technologist say "thats outrageous/not possible". then people play politics on failures. where's the coherent debate about what law we do want to bring in to deal with extremists?

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton

Larus, do you see where you went wrong there?

Whilst you posted a very valid point about tax thresholds almost doubling under Tories, and austerity in those countries listed, as well as mentioning a very valid point on tradesman, the mistake you made is making a comment about left wingers, whilst probably true in a lot of cases, it gives the lefties a reason to ignore your valid points, and just pick up on what one comment.

Off course had you not done that, your post would be ignored, as the lefties don't like hearing about tax thresholds going up, because it doesn't fit in with their "tories for the rich" twaddle. Just remember lefties will ignore the facts when it doesn't suit, them and make them up when it does.

Scotchegg

Sep 1, 2014
Brighton
No, lots of left-wingers are very hard working. However, the premise of Labour policy is (nearly) always that we can have all these wonderful first class services in NHS, Education, Defence, Roads, Rail, Policing etc. yet the average Joe doesn't need to pay anymore as we can get all of this money from those nasty rich corporations and business men.

There are major problems/challenges for this country, yet this constant battle between left/right Labour/Tory is pathetic. Whatever 1 party says, the other disagrees with.

It's so easy in opposition to slate the government, but the reality is that the conservatives inherited a country running a 10% deficit. That is not sustainable and so difficult decisions had to be made. Labour opposed every cut/freeze yet never suggested where cuts could be made. Labour supporters totally ignore the fact that on their last watch, the economy was left f*cked.

And tories ignore the fact that at that time, the worlds economy was ****ed. Global crash, not UK crash.

The constant battle is effective opposition and democracy. It's also not true that Labour MPs opposed every cut, many abstained or voted with the tories in george osbournes welfare reforms. Hence for a long while, people bemoaned that there was no choice between the parties, now we have choice and people don't like that either.

About the only truth in your post is that this country faces many problems/challenges, I think we can all agree there. The disagreement comes from how we deal with those challenges.

larus

Larus, do you see where you went wrong there?

Whilst you posted a very valid point about tax thresholds almost doubling under Tories, and austerity in those countries listed, as well as mentioning a very valid point on tradesman, the mistake you made is making a comment about left wingers, whilst probably true in a lot of cases, it gives the lefties a reason to ignore your valid points, and just pick up on what one comment.

Off course had you not done that, your post would be ignored, as the lefties don't like hearing about tax thresholds going up, because it doesn't fit in with their "tories for the rich" twaddle. Just remember lefties will ignore the facts when it doesn't suit, them and make them up when it does.

I must admit, I have noticed that. They are very selective and like to pick up on maybe one or two words and twist the context. A certain German poster is very prone for that, but i try my best to ignore the pettiness.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here