Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player of the season discussion

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
An outstanding OP that highlights the dilemma anyone casting a vote for this year's PotS.

I would be delighted for David Stockdale, Glenn Murray, Sam Baldock, Anthony Knockaert to pick up the award, also to see honourable mentions for Stephens, Duffy, Sidwell and March. What the hell chuck Bruno into that mix aswell. What a wonderful list to choose from, what a praiseworthy team we have this yeat, it has been an utter delight. However for me Lewis Dunk just edges it. He has been consistent from day one and has been the rock on which this team has rested setting the platform for others to perform. There has been the odd moment of indiscipline which he needs to work on, but for me he has been every inch a premier league defender in waiting. Great poise, positional sense, good tackling, distribution, he's got it all.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
For the last three seasons there has been a constant cry............ If we only had Glen. Regardless of what any one else in the team has achieved, and to separate their contribution is impossible as there is more than a team full of candidates for Player of the season. We needed goals and someone to score them, the player that was the obvious fit to do that to most fans and I hope the people responsible for getting him back in the Club. What was worse he only lived down the road and was more visible in Brighton than most of the teams of the past. So for me it's Glenn Murray, he was finally signed and got on with what we all knew he could do from day one.

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
There are so many contenders.

You can't ignore just how important the likes of Stephens and Baldock have had on the team. They may not be the most 'fashionable' choice, but our record when either of these players is out of the team is there for all to see.

Murray/Dunk/Duffy/Bruno/Knockaert have all been brilliant, and March is a great prospect and contributed well to the team despite not getting the game time he perhaps deserves.

My choice however would have to be Stockdale. Off the top of my head, and I know there will be others... I can think of at least three games that we wouldn't have got the points we did if it wasn't for his brilliance. Fulham away, Sheff Wed at home and Brentford away. He has made mistakes here and there, but all in all he has been fantastic. The camaraderie he has with the whole team, the influence he no doubt has in the dressing room, the brilliant saves, the very good distribution, the passion. He is a true professional and without him we would not have a 9 point buffer.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
In my opinion, Baldock doesn't merit POTS. If there was an award for most improved then he would be head and shoulders above everyone and I agree his contribution has been worth the wait however, for me, the POTS is between Stockdale, Dunk or Stephens. Of those, I'm torn between Stockdale and Stephens. I'd probably go for Stephens if push came to shove on the basis that we don't have anyone else that comes close to him in midfield. Maenpaa seemed more than adequate when deputizing for Stockdale and Uwe and (when fit) Goldson could have stepped in for Dunk. Stephens is the cog that makes the whole team work.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
In my opinion, Baldock doesn't merit POTS. If there was an award for most improved then he would be head and shoulders above everyone and I agree his contribution has been worth the wait however, for me, the POTS is between Stockdale, Dunk or Stephens. Of those, I'm torn between Stockdale and Stephens. I'd probably go for Stephens if push came to shove on the basis that we don't have anyone else that comes close to him in midfield. Maenpaa seemed more than adequate when deputizing for Stockdale and Uwe and (when fit) Goldson could have stepped in for Dunk. Stephens is the cog that makes the whole team work.

Serious answer now, I think people will avoid Stephens because of the beginning of the season and him admitting he wanted away.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I didn't see last week's discussion either. Tempted to go for Duffy myself, pretty much as good as Dunk without the silly little incidents.

Having said that, Sidwell has been a hero filling in for Kayal. Knockeart is clearly the favourite... and Stockdale, some incredible saves from him... and that's without mentioning Murray.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Serious answer now, I think people will avoid Stephens because of the beginning of the season and him admitting he wanted away.

They may well do but we're not voting for Club man of the season. How many times in the past did our POTS then leave during the summer.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Knocky should win this quite clearly. 13 goals from the wing is staggering and with the passing of his old man didn't help either.. Saying that Stockdale and Bruno have been superb.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Baldock player of the season ? Oh come on

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
I think Knockaert will get player of the season but there are so many players who could get it .

I would love Bruno to get it , he's one of those players you don't know good he is until he's missing . And at the beginning of the season he covered a few games at Centre back as well, which made me worry but he was superb

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Knockaert, Dunk, Duffy, Stockdale, Murray and Stephens are all worthy of consideration.

But... Duffy has only played 2/3 of a season, Stephens inevitably loses something for the points we dropped while he was sorting his shit out, and Murray despite the NINETEEN goals hasn't played QUITE as well as I think we know he can.

So, IMO, a choice from three:

Knockaert - yes he goes a little missing away from home sometimes, but he IS a winger at the end of the day - comes with the territory. However where he differs from your stereotypical flairmeister, is that even when he's not at his imperious best, he still works his little French tits off for the team. And his return of 13 league goals (plus 7 assists) for a wide player is phenomenal.

:bowdown:

Dunk - ignore the discipline thing, Dunk has been utterly MAGNIFICENT all season, never dropping from his incredibly high levels. Astonishing talent - the Championship is basically too easy for him now.

Stockdale - brilliant. Nineteen clean sheets in 38 matches. Zero goals conceded in exactly HALF of the games he's played. Best defence in the league. Points won single-handedly v Wednesday (+3), Fulham (+3) and Brentford (+1) are a massive reason why we are where we are in the table.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It would interesting if anybody ran a book on this. Many different opinions on the winner, it would be very tricky to call.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
It would interesting if anybody ran a book on this. Many different opinions on the winner, it would be very tricky to call.

Really? I think it's 100% majorly odds on to be Knockeart, which is partially why I'm going to vote for someone else, love him though I do.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Really? I think it's 100% majorly odds on to be Knockeart, which is partially why I'm going to vote for someone else, love him though I do.
If this thread is any sort of barometer, he's fighting it out with Dunk, Stockers, Baldock and Stephens and none of them are odds on.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
If this thread is any sort of barometer, he's fighting it out with Dunk, Stockers, Baldock and Stephens and none of them are odds on.

Who actually casts a vote though? Kids probably do, and will ALL vote for Knockaert.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I voted Rosenior. Not because I think he has a realistic chance of winning but because I think his attitude has been absolutely top drawer.

He was playing brilliantly before the injury and the professionalism, passion and maturity he displayed in the many months on the sidelines was exemplary. And then when he came back he was brilliant again (OK, the Blackburn game wasn't his best).

By his own admission he doesn't have the flair of a Knockaert or a Kayal but I just want his contribution to be recognised with a few votes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here