Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Band(s) you wished you had seen but never will, and band(s) you saw and wished you hadn't!

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Wish I had seen: Joy Division, and - though I did see later line-ups - the classic Go Betweens line-up including Lindy and Amanda.

Wish I hadn't: I once decided to do six consecutive nights of a Throwing Muses tour. Which was great, except for having to endure the support band Anastasia Screamed six times too.

So.CalGull

Sep 28, 2010
Orange County. California.
Wish to have seen: Talking Heads, Stone Roses, Marley.

Need to eradicate from my memories: Grace Jones at the Brighton Centre some time around 87/88. No backing band, just a boom box and a black office chair which she span around on and sang songs over the tape in the stereo. A crowd that was so sparse, you could see the front of the stage from the back of the floor area. About 10 minutes in, there were more people leaving than left on the floor, but for a bunch of spaced out comfy fellas dancing like it was a Revenge Club night out. A real shame because up to that night, some of her classics were in my top five of all time songs, "pull up to the bumper", "Slave to the Rythym" and "La Vie en Rose" were quality tunes...to this day I have not listened to one of them again...truly annoying.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Wish to have seen: Talking Heads, Stone Roses, Marley.

Need to eradicate from my memories: Grace Jones at the Brighton Centre some time around 87/88. No backing band, just a boom box and a black office chair which she span around on and sang songs over the tape in the stereo. A crowd that was so sparse, you could see the front of the stage from the back of the floor area. About 10 minutes in, there were more people leaving than left on the floor, but for a bunch of spaced out comfy fellas dancing like it was a Revenge Club night out. A real shame because up to that night, some of her classics were in my top five of all time songs, "pull up to the bumper", "Slave to the Rythym" and "La Vie en Rose" were quality tunes...to this day I have not listened to one of them again...truly annoying.

Good shout on Grace Jones. She was in full diva mode and several hours late on stage too if I think. Cow

Like Norman I wish I'd seen Dr Feelgood in the Wilko days. Also would loved to have seen Howlin' Wolf.

...Count myself lucky to have seen him solo a few times. Heard on R2 Johnny Walker show he has a biography out shortly.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I was there for that! Shame I didn't see you. My God, he must really have loved her because it was utter turd. Did get better though after that.

Think I must have been there as well, he sat out at the front for a while signing CDs and we had a bit of natter as I'm also a North Western Boy.

He was completely out of it as usual, I wonder how much better he would have been if he hadn't smoked quite so much weed?

Sad to hear he has had a stroke, but no great surprise ...

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Wish I had seen Queen.

Wish I hadn't the Ramones supporting U2 at Milton Keynes in 80something. Repetitive drivel! (Not U2)

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
Would have loved to see Gil Scott Heron. Had a ticket once to see him, but he wasn't allowed into the UK on that occasion.

Findlay Quaye was an absolute stinker of a gig.

BangaloreGull

Jun 18, 2011
Burgess Hill
There are quite a few in both categories, but for symmetry; The Jam, went to get tickets for their last gig but they sold out whilst I was in queue. Wish I hadn't bothered seeing Weller at K2. So far up himself and terrible venue.

Also wish I had seen The Who back in the day. Saw them later and they were great, but I suspect nowhere near the original standard. Also wish I had seen Pistols, Clash, the Doors.

Wish I hadn't seen, McFly at Sussex Cricket ground. They were only on stage 45 minutes and singer was missing for almost half of that, but still time to be bored! (I took the kids by the way, that is my excuse!). Also Elton John at same venue was truly awful having come on stage two hours late so that he could watch England game on TV.

Worried that someone above says Kings of Leon were awful. Have tickets for them in Hyde park.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Ramones, Chuck Berry, AC / DC, Sabbath, Stone the Crows, one I was really disappointed in Bob Dylan and Van Morrison (non moving blob) at the NEC

BangaloreGull

Jun 18, 2011
Burgess Hill
Oh god, missed the worst gig ever: Hugh Cornwell at the Martlets in Burgess Hill. Terrible gig, 5 minutes between songs retuning guitar, shouting at audience for taking pictures with flash, arguing about songs he could do with his guitar. Eventually walked off when someone's flash went off. Have seen him at a festival since and he was really good. Bad day at the office perhaps.

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
Wished I'd seen Cardiacs down in the pond. I don't think I have ever seen The Fall where MES hasn't had some strop and shuffled off for a song or two. Last time out a roadie filled in on vocals for a track. I presume he was off having a smoke.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Wished I'd seen The Allman Brothers which leads me on to
Wished I hadn't - Dicky Betts (of the Allman Brothers)
Went to the blues festival in Tampa Bay and was excited to see Dicky Betts - as my mate said "To be in the same location with the bloke that wrote "Jessica" will be a privilege"
Unfortunately Mr Betts had quaffed rather too much falling down water and was dreadful. Long way to go to be disappointed. However seeing Jerry Lee Lewis and George Thorogood on the same bill made up for it a bit
Other bands that need not have bothered - If (interminable jazz rock) and Bethnal(punk with a violin - it doesn't work). Both were support acts at Fairfield Halls and were dire

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Queen with Freddie and Dire Straits

I saw queen a couple of times at the centre, a few days after supertramp. Dire straits in Amsterdam.

I had a phase of putting my life in danger by going to see really underground reggae bands...black uhuru, burning spear and a Jamaican band irie truth, who I have never heard of since or find them on the tinterweb b. and was the only one of two white guys at Brixton academy for shabba ranks. Luckily I went with a couple of mates one of whom it turned out was the son of the local Gang leader and I think that saved me from a nasty accident..lol

The loudest concert I ever saw was a Welsh band called Man at the dome...even louder that quo and Saxon I couldn't hear for weeks!

Miximate

Aug 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
Wish I had seen - Led Zep

Best - Queen at Webley Stadium (Inxs and The Quo also on the bill for the day)

Worst - Probably Lighthouse Family - all the songs sounded the same or SADE - wanted to slit my wrists as it was so boring

Loudest - Rory Gallagher at the Dome

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
Wished I'd seen Prince at the Hop Farm Festival, 5 or so years ago.

Love music full-stop, so I can safely say I haven't seen any disappointments :rock:

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
...Count myself lucky to have seen him solo a few times. Heard on R2 Johnny Walker show he has a biography out shortly.

Yes at least I've had the pleasure of seeing him solo many times over the years. His autobiography has been out in hardback for a few months - must be the paperback
edition coming out soon.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Wish I had:
The Clash
The Birthday Party ( I was offered a ticket to see them in 83, but chickened out)

Wish I hadn't
The Fall 1985 - awful

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
I saw queen a couple of times at the centre, a few days after supertramp. Dire straits in Amsterdam.

I had a phase of putting my life in danger by going to see really underground reggae bands...black uhuru, burning spear and a Jamaican band irie truth, who I have never heard of since or find them on the tinterweb b. and was the only one of two white guys at Brixton academy for shabba ranks. Luckily I went with a couple of mates one of whom it turned out was the son of the local Gang leader and I think that saved me from a nasty accident..lol

The loudest concert I ever saw was a Welsh band called Man at the dome...even louder that quo and Saxon I couldn't hear for weeks!

Ha, ha - I saw Man years ago and they're my "wish I hadn't bothered" band, along with "The Noel Redding Experience" shortly after Hendrix had died.

My "wish I'd seen them" band, I'll go for The Faces.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here