Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale to Chelsea?

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Bit odd. If he's been offered one, maybe he wants more years. He's definitely good enough for the prem, hopefully we can keep hold of Ben Roberts as his form improved when he arrived. He hardly played much football up to age of 28 so wouldn't be surprised if he was happy to sit on a bigger clubs bench.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
if Stockdale goes it will be because CH and TB are prepared to let him go. I've no evidence but I don't think CH rates Stockdale as a PL quality keeper, and CH always builds his teams from the back. If Stockdale goes, it'll be exciting to see who we get in his place

Not so sure. Yes we would get big money for him but to replace him would cost millions. Stocky had a brilliant season and saved us a number of points. How many Penalties did he save?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
There are rumours about suggesting the fa/pl are looking at setting quotas for British players. I wonder if clubs are starting to plan with possibility of losing European players in the future.

Yes he would be a benchwarmer but he would get games in Europe and the cups

Why would the Premier League want that?

Take a look at the ownership

United: US
Liverpool: US
City: Abu Dhabi, China
Arsenal: US/Ukraine
Everton: Iran
Spurs: Bahamas
Southampton: Swiss
West Brom: China
Palace: US/UK
Hull: Egypt
Leicester: Thailand
Sunderland: US
Swansea: US
Watford: Italy
Bournemouth: Russia, British Virgin Isles, US

What we have left is

Burnley
Stoke
West Ham (Dildo Salesmen and 10% Iceland)
Boro

They are not interested in the welfare of the England team.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
if Stockdale goes it will be because CH and TB are prepared to let him go. I've no evidence but I don't think CH rates Stockdale as a PL quality keeper, and CH always builds his teams from the back. If Stockdale goes, it'll be exciting to see who we get in his place
Or because Chelsea offer a stash of money that's not in our payscale?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
All depends what he wants. If he want to play in PL and have an outside chance at say the England squad he needs to be playing every week and playing well. He will get a pay increase of significant proportion staying with us and doing this. He's also in his prime for a GK.
If he wants a massive pay day and to play 5/10 times a season tops barring some massive injury to TC then he will end up at Chelsea

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
All depends what he wants. If he want to play in PL and have an outside chance at say the England squad he needs to be playing every week and playing well. He will get a pay increase of significant proportion staying with us and doing this. He's also in his prime for a GK.
If he wants a massive pay day and to play 5/10 times a season tops barring some massive injury to TC then he will end up at Chelsea

Even with an injury to TC you can bet your boots he would not play every game if his form became indifferent and also Chelsea would immediately search for a world class keeper to replace him. However that run in the team MAY be possible.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Not so sure. Yes we would get big money for him but to replace him would cost millions. Stocky had a brilliant season and saved us a number of points. How many Penalties did he save?

He's OUT OF CONTRACT. That's kind of the point.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I'll say it again... I don't see Stocko as the money-grabbing bench-warmer type...

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
People are kidding themselves here.

He's not a money grabber if he leaves. He's been offered a chance to earn around quarter of a million pounds A MONTH by one of the biggest clubs in the country and likely double winners.

At 31 you can't turn that down in favour of a relegation battle

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
money-grabbing bench-warmer type...

Even if he goes it's not really fair to tar him with such a brush. How many of us have careers that are all over by the time we are 40? He will shortly be out of contract and the next one he receives is likely to be the best he will ever get. As his age increases his earning power is likely to tail off after this next deal. If he was offered considerably more at another club I would be astonished if he didn't take it, regardless of what first team opportunities might be available and I wouldn't hold it against him. All we can do is be grateful for the good times and hope that they are enough to persuade him to stay.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
People are kidding themselves here.

He's not a money grabber if he leaves. He's been offered a chance to earn around quarter of a million pounds A MONTH by one of the biggest clubs in the country and likely double winners.

At 31 you can't turn that down in favour of a relegation battle

This all day long. Can't see why people don't understand that's it's their livelihood at the end of the day and loyalty is relative

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i cant see it because if they were interested, i reckon other premier league clubs would be offering first team for similar money.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
The most worrying thing is if this sort of thing drags on and on and also results in escalation of wages as both sides bid up and up.

If he stays, great, get him in early and we can chill........ if he goes, fine if early we can get someone else in. What we don't want is halfway through the preseason or after a couple of league games him suddenly jumping ship! Is it usually end of June that contracts end to basically prevent this going too far?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Even if you completely take money out of the equation, if he has the chance to sign for the Champions of England, then of course he is going to take it. He'd have to, it's a once in a lifetime opportunity. What's the best he can hope for with us? Surviving a few relegation battles? With Chelsea he would have the chance of a Premier League medal, FA Cup, Champions League, everything. Yes, he wouldn't be first choice, but so what? He'll get a chance to prove himself, if he takes it his career would climb to a whole new level.

I'd bite their hand off if I was him. Saying "I wouldn't go there because I'd just sit on the bench and would rather play more games at a lower level" is just defeatist. You'd have to back yourself and go for it. Good luck to him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
i cant see it because if they were interested, i reckon other premier league clubs would be offering first team for similar money.

Not really. Very few clubs have the spending power to pay stupid money for a back up player, and no others with a training ground a comfortable commutable distance from Stockdale's house.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
First season apart when he was awful, Stockdale has been a credit to the club on and off the field. If he goes because of security for his family, nobody can blame him and he would carry the very best wishes of the majority of fans.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here