Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Tomer HEMED our best EVER penalty taker?

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
Spanish Dave had 100% record for us, so I think he is number one, Hemed second.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Languid confidence, great for converting penalties and impressing the ladies.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Leon Knight was a brilliant penalty taker.

The year we went up via the Play-offs, Knight seemed to bag tons of Penalties. I'd be interested to know exactly how many pens he scored that season?

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Fascinating stuff. I have never thought it credible that you can send the keeper the wrong way reliably or wait for them to move before shooting.

But as a statistician I can tell you this is starting to look statistically significant.

Very, very interesting. Tomer is looking very smart on the basis of this. Sample size is sufficient to give a reasonable level of confidence in the results

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Hemed takes great penalties and ultra calm. Thought him taking the pen yesterday was correct decision
a) because he scored
b) it shows he is confident still (despite not playing)
c) it keeps him connected to the first team and making a telling contribution...

Penalties SHOULD be easy but we all know they are not and Fulham fans will tell you their experiences of missing 5 out of 6.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Tomer has only scored 9 pens. Horton and Danny Wilson were nearly double that. Zamora wasn't too bad either.

Ah that clears up a Stat that Sky Sports News put out. They said it was his ninth goal of the season.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Tomer has only scored 9 pens. Horton and Danny Wilson were nearly double that. Zamora wasn't too bad either.

% scored is WAY more important than totals in this comparison though. Zamora was far from reliable from the spot for us, for example.

If I could choose the taker, based on my 30+ years watching, Hemed would be second only to David Lopez. Dean Hammond would be close behind (ignoring for a moment, that this means we'd have to have Dean Hammond actually playing).

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
From those stats he's the best at sending the keeper the wrong way - several players in that chart have not missed a pen at all so are arguably better than Tomer

None of those others are ISRAELI though, which will be a huge factor in the OP's choice :thumbsup:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I seem to recall Alan Curbishley being as good, albeit with a different style. Think he only ever missed one with us?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Looked a little as though the Preston keeper had done his homework and outwitted him today by stepping slightly to his left but not actually 'moving' as such - that is, his weight wasn't moving left. So he was still balanced to dive whichever way Tomer put it - and he's not one to go for the corners. Having said that, from behind the goal it looked as though Tomer didn't have such a noticeable pause in his run up today?

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I seem to recall Alan Curbishley being as good, albeit with a different style. Think he only ever missed one with us?

Against Manchester City (the keeper saved it), but one of the Brightwell brothers (if memory serves) infringed so he got a second go... and didn't 'miss' again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here