Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Scott Hogan

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I'd have said yes to Greizmann and Aubameyang

You missed the point. D Gray, A Gray, O Burke were all three Championship players touted around like Scott Hogan was before they were snapped up for a big fee.

Better and younger players as well.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Only needing someone to help get us up is far easier said than done.

Indeed there certainly is a team that's trying to work out who we can get, how much we could get them for, and how good they might be - but it's not an exact science. If they've not played here we don't know how well they'll settle in England, how well they'll adapt to the Championship or how quickly they'll adapt. Getting a proven Championship striker is expensive, but it's more reliable. Getting someone for less from elsewhere is a gamble, which may or may not pay off.

The recruitment team did well last January window so if we can bring in similar quality at the same price I would be satisfied.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

That's reassuring to hear if that's proper insider info.

If I had to guess, given that I have no insider knowledge on it, that would be my guess too.

It's my belief, and it's only a gut feeling, that we tried knowing that he was the missing jigsaw piece for promotion, but Bournemouth had other ideas.

Again, I'm not having a dig at the club at all. Merely saying there's no way we're spending 9 million type figures, in January, and with what we've got now.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
My original point was not meant as a criticism, just a general point that we've never splashed the cash in January.

Knockart and Skalak both arrived last January. Ulloa arrived in the January of 2013.

Those deals would suggest the club is always open to recruiting in that window, as long as the right player/s are available.

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
Hogan at a reputed 9 million represents poor value. If Stephens were to walk which i don't think he will be allowed to i wouldn't mind Alan Judge for 5 million, 28 years old and just hitting his prime. Whether he can overcome his broken leg and regain his form is one thing, whether we could compete with Newcastle who were linked is another

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Knockart and Skalak both arrived last January. Ulloa arrived in the January of 2013.

Those deals would suggest the club is always open to recruiting in that window, as long as the right player/s are available.

And again, I'm not criticizing the club. I'm merely saying we don't splash the cash in January, and certainly not anywhere near the 9 million being talked about for Hogan.

The three you mention were all bargains and great bits of business. None broke the bank.

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
Exactly.

Certainly not in the January transfer window we won't. We've been reluctant to splash the cash in January when we could have done with doing so. Can't see that changing now that we've got the strongest squad we've ever had.

Ulloa? Upson (albeit on loan) Knockeart? Skalak?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well for starters if we had got Murray in last January then I believe we would have gone up.
He only signed for Bournemouth in September, I don't think he was available in January.
Not saying that we didn't try to get him in - I have no idea whether we did or didn't.

My original point was not meant as a criticism, just a general point that we've never splashed the cash in January.

TB is even on record as saying he's not keen on doing much business in January isn't he?
He's highlighted some of the problems with doing business in January, particularly regarding strikers - not many teams are going to want to let go of a striker that's doing well mid-season. But that doesn't mean he's been reluctant to spend the cash when we should have. We brought in Ulloa, Skalak and Knockaert in the January window, I believe we tried to bring in a striker from South America last January, for quite a bit of money. And with us being so well placed this winter, I'm sure we'll be trying to get a good striker in, and a large chunk of cash will be available.

But that doesn't mean we'll get someone - they'll have to be the right player, and they're hard to get even in the summer.

I was merely agreeing that we're not likely to spend the type of figure being suggested on here for Hogan, in January. Especially when we're stronger than ever now.
Brentford might not let him go, but I think we would spend a fair old whack if we could get someone like him. We obviously tried to get Pratchard (for a large sum) and we could do so now without breaking FFP rules.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The recruitment team did well last January window
They certainly did.
so if we can bring in similar quality at the same price I would be satisfied.
Another Knockaert for less than £2m - yes please. But deals like that are hard to come by, and even harder when it's a striker you're after.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012

Not to mention the King of Israel, 2015

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
at home, given our plethora of wingers, why have we not tried knocky at the ten position?
he covers ground and enjoys getting his foot in; tricky pace against two big lump CB's?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
at home, given our plethora of wingers, why have we not tried knocky at the ten position?
he covers ground and enjoys getting his foot in; tricky pace against two big lump CB's?

I think we did earlier in the season and it didn't work at all? Forget the game/s but I don't think we were at all convincing.

Maybe my memory is playing tricks....again

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I think we did earlier in the season and it didn't work at all? Forget the game/s but I don't think we were at all convincing.

Maybe my memory is playing tricks....again

I think you are correct but don't understand why because he often plays (and scores) in a no 10 position

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thank god Vyrda didn't score a brace against us, first game of the season.

NSC wouldn't know what to do with itself.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I think you are correct but don't understand why because he often plays (and scores) in a no 10 position

Maybe with March back and Skalak or Murphy also playing it might do now?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Thank god Vyrda didn't score a brace against us, first game of the season.

NSC wouldn't know what to do with itself.

Was he even in the squad? I know he's good but.....

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Was he even in the squad? I know he's good but.....
Come on Icy you know the rules.

You don't actually have to be any good to become the doyen of NSC global network of talent scouts.
You just have to score 2 goals against the Albion, at the AMEX.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here