Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lib/Dems win Richmond Park.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Exactly. It's not a shock because the LibDems poured resources into a winnable seat. But some people on here are talking as if it was a gimme when it clearly wasn't because Richmond is NOT natural LibDem territory.

I'm delighted by this result but I'd be interested to see how they might do in a seat that is very 50-50 pro/anti brexit. That would be a far better indication of the public strength of feeling on the issue.

Not natural lib dem territory ? Hmmm, it's now had 4 MP's since.the constituency was created , 3 of them have been lib dem.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Not much of a surprise really liberal left Richmond. See how they fair in the next bi-election in Lincolnshire.

Liberal yes. Left no.

To be fair Goldsmith did very well to win when he did, which was a fairly safe Liberal seat in 2005. But to lose a 20k+ majority as it was at the last election is huge.

I think it does demonstrate that there is hope for the Liberals recovering some of the ground they lost in their spanking at the 2015 election. Bear in mind as well, at the height of Cleggmania in 2010, when the Liberals were at 23% nationally, they didn't win this seat.

Sleaford will be interesting, that seat has a totally different dynamic and for differing reasons will be of interest to LAB, CON, LD and UKIP.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
And it's also full of people who have the ability to think things through properly and make the most sensible decisions.
It's just a shame that the majority of the rest of the country was unable to do this.

What a load of patronising bobbins.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Liberal yes. Left no.

To be fair Goldsmith did very well to win when he did, which was a fairly safe Liberal seat in 2005. But to lose a 20k+ majority as it was at the last election is huge.

I think it does demonstrate that there is hope for the Liberals recovering some of the ground they lost in their spanking at the 2015 election. Bear in mind as well, at the height of Cleggmania in 2010, when the Liberals were at 23% nationally, they didn't win this seat.

Sleaford will be interesting, that seat has a totally different dynamic and for differing reasons will be of interest to LAB, CON, LD and UKIP.

A lot of it will also be down to his ludicrously stupid Mayoral campaign.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
First evidence that a liberal alliance works, kudos to our Lucas. It's a shame that Labour are too self important to get their head around this as it's the only way to beat the right at the moment.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
A lot of it will also be down to his ludicrously stupid Mayoral campaign.

I mentioned that above. To be totally fair, I don't think that will have had anywhere near the influence as his position on Brexit did. It was a bit of an open goal for the Liberal Democrats, which they very wisely took advantage of.

How many other Tory MP's are there out there in seats that voted overwhelmingly in favour to remain? I'm really not sure of the numbers but that could become an interesting dynamic as time goes on.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Liberal yes. Left no.

Really? Always been a tory seat, expect the most that will happen is a slight swing to UKIP as it's a strong 'leave' area. Massive tory majority last GE. The liberals and labour have no chance.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
First evidence that a liberal alliance works, kudos to our Lucas. It's a shame that Labour are too self important to get their head around this as it's the only way to beat the right at the moment.

I agree. Big moment for the Lib Dems now.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Really? Always been a tory seat, expect the most that will happen is a slight swing to UKIP as it's a strong 'leave' area. Massive tory majority last GE. The liberals and labour have no chance.

I agree with that, however, there's a few things I'm looking for. Will the Conservative positioning on Brexit mean that UKIP becomes less of a threat? What happens to the Labour vote - it's under threat from UKIP's 'working man' positioning and the Liberals strong stance on Europe?

Clearly the Tories will hold it and hold it well but the majority will tell us something.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
How did I know what the soundtrack would be?

Because inconveniently for you the people who live with mass immigration will speak how they feel ? The video was disingenuous to say the least , trying desperately to link the way people voted on the EU with totally unrelated questions about their lives in general.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Because inconveniently for you the people who live with mass immigration will speak how they feel ? The video was disingenuous to say the least , trying desperately to link the way people voted on the EU with totally unrelated questions about their lives in general.

I'm talking about the music at the start. It's a band called Sleaford Mods. I like them as it goes. Responsible for this ditty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1les61ahgK0

You carry on though.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here