Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Eric Bristow having a mare...

Eagle Slayer

Jul 15, 2007
Worthing
I found his "footballers are wimps" comment to be quite funny. Let's have a quick think, in a straight up street fight:

Bristow vs Roy Keane
Bristow vs Vinnie Jones
Bristow vs Adam "The Hair Ruffler" El-Abd

My money, everytime, is most certainly not on Bristow.

Would think darts players Gerwen Price and Justin Pipe could beat them 3

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Well, obviously.

I don't really get your point.
My point to you was that John Lowe was a poor example. The rest, whilst seemingly obvious, doesn't appear to be to some people.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'm with Eric. Can't see what the problem is. He's entitled to his opinion & oh well some lefties who get easily offended (a la alleged homophobic chanting by fulham) will be offended again.

Storm in a teacup / trial by social media again = that's what's wrong with society

I'm not a 'lefty' and I'm not offended by what he said, I just think he's an idiot for saying it :shrug:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
My point to you was that John Lowe was a poor example. The rest, whilst seemingly obvious, doesn't appear to be to some people.

I think you took my post a bit literally then. I wasn't claiming that John Lowe would actually hold those views, how would I know ?

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I think you took my post a bit literally then. I wasn't claiming that John Lowe would actually hold those views, how would I know ?
Sigh. I wasn't taking anything literally. Just used it as an 'in' to compare a nice darts player with an unpleasant one based on my limited experience of them.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Sigh. I wasn't taking anything literally. Just used it as an 'in' to compare a nice darts player with an unpleasant one based on my limited experience of them.

Thanks for clearing up my "poor example" that you didn't take literally then.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I'm with Eric. Can't see what the problem is. He's entitled to his opinion & oh well some lefties who get easily offended (a la alleged homophobic chanting by fulham) will be offended again.

Storm in a teacup / trial by social media again = that's what's wrong with society

What's wrong with society is that people with archaic views aren't challenged often enough.

It's not about being "easily offended" or "a lefty" (when did that become an insult?) it's about knowing the difference between what is acceptable in a modern, morally conscious society and what is not.

What Bristow did, shame the victims of child abuse, is unequivocally reprehensible and it absolutely baffles me that people can view what he's said in any other way.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
What Bristow did, shame the victims of child abuse, is unequivocally reprehensible and it absolutely baffles me that people can view what he's said in any other way.

It's bizarre. I'm not in to twitter pitch fork wielding but I can't see any defence for what he said. We had a thread on here about the abuse story. People spoke of the victim's bravery in coming forward. Up pops Eric to demonstrate one of the many reasons they have to be so brave in coming forward. The dick.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
What's wrong with society is that people with archaic views aren't challenged often enough.

It's not about being "easily offended" or "a lefty" (when did that become an insult?) it's about knowing the difference between what is acceptable in a modern, morally conscious society and what is not.

Let's not get carried away here. Eric Bristow is without doubt the most arrogant UK sportsman I've ever seen, and I'm 48 and have watched a lot of sport in my time. He is famous from the 70s and 80s as he smoked, drunk and bragged his way to 5 World titles, but he is the proverbial dinosaur and is about as representative of the UK as fellow dinosaurs Ron Atkinson or Jim Davidson are.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Let's not get carried away here. Eric Bristow is without doubt the most arrogant UK sportsman I've ever seen, and I'm 48 and have watched a lot of sport in my time. He is famous from the 70s and 80s as he smoked, drunk and bragged his way to 5 World titles, but he is the proverbial dinosaur and is about as representative of the UK as fellow dinosaurs Ron Atkinson or Jim Davidson are.

It's a fair point but whether he's representative of 1% or 10% of the population is neither here nor there for me; anyone holding these sorts of views should be challenged.

I hope to heck he is entirely unrepresentative of the population but I very much doubt it.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's a fair point but whether he's representative of 1% or 10% of the population is neither here nor there for me; anyone holding these sorts of views should be challenged.

I hope to heck he is entirely unrepresentative of the population but I very much doubt it.

I agree that Bristow needs to be called out and sacked, but to then hold up the actions of one ageing, ignorant and arrogant man as a mirror against British society is bordering on the hysterical.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I agree that Bristow needs to be called out and sacked, but to then hold up the actions of one ageing, ignorant and arrogant man as a mirror against British society is bordering on the hysterical.

I don't feel I'm doing that, it certainly is not my intention.

I do, on the whole, believe that our society is wonderfully inclusive and morally sound but honestly you only have to look at this topic to see that there are others who don't see what he's done as being particularly egregious.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Wimps? Each of these individual former footballers who came forward to publicly relate their experiences has far bigger cojones than the Crafty Cock could ever dream of.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'm pretty sure it's not illegal (yet) to offend people.
No one is suggesting he is arrested and charged.

He's been unwise, not criminal and as far as I can see it's cost him his job at Sky.

Twitter was clearly a very expensive app to have installed on his phone.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
He seemed permanently pissed when he was on I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here a couple of years ago. Could well believe that. The guy is an absolute tool.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here