Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
The labour party now supports brexit they want to govern a prosperous free trading nation, even more significantly British industry now supports brexit they see the UKs new position at the cross roads of the worlds two largest trade blocks the EU and Pan Pacific as a fantastic opportunity, so sad that the brexit bores still trying to drag the UK back to the one state EUSSR ruled by the unelected EU commission Politburo,, if you don't like your present government vote them out, you'll never get the opportunity to vote out any member of the Brussels EU commission even if you could name more than one

Nobody wants Brexit taz, we’re saddled with it. Nobody of any party wants to talk about it.

Our remaining industry has been bought by Japan and is choosing to list in New York (ARM) or are reconsidering their investments in the U.K. as we are seen as having a short-term reactionary government prone to sudden changes of direction.

E.g. CRH are the world’s largest supplier of building materials, they were primarily listed in London but have chosen to switch their primary listing from London to New York. The vultures are picking over our bones.

Paris, Amsterdam and Dublin are doing brilliantly out of our acts of self harm. Meanwhile the City of London shrinks in importance and influence.

Business values stability and infrastructure highly. We increasingly have neither.

The EU Commission are absolutely elected and sit a single five year term.

You are wilfully ignorant, as well as only sporadically able to find the shift key.

As for naming them, I can name Ursula von Der Leyen and Mairead McGuinness as she’s the commissioner with overall responsibility for Financial Services and financial stability in the EU. However, even if I couldn’t they are there on trust having convinced the EU’s representatives from every member country of their goodwill and competence.

I don’t know your nationality, but clearly you’re not British yourself since you say “if you don’t like your present government vote them out” this intrigues me, I can’t think of many places cheering Brexit on even now. China? Russia? North Korea?

taz

Feb 18, 2015
Rather than supporting it, the Labour party would rather "make Brexit work". That's a big difference, and has come about because a large rump of their traditional support are in northern England and they want those votes back. Brexit is an absolutely shit idea but the damage can be partly patched up by forging an EFTA-like arrangement with the trading bloc. That's what we've got to hope happens - a sop to the pro-EU and thick gammon factions in their support alike.

Your comments on British business supporting it are an absolute joke. A large rump of British business has been decimated by Brexit and what the fck does "at the cross roads of the world's two largest trade blocs" mean? Absolutely nothing. We're out of the EU and we're nowhere near the Pacific. We're out of both. What sort of an advantage are you trying to tell us that this gives us? When we were in the EU, our language meant we were a convenient entry into the EU market for the rest of the English speaking world. Now that isn't the case. Luckily for those nations, Ireland isn't so stupid as to want to leave.
Very clever slogan by labour "making brexit work" the labour party is fully aware that there is a full review with Brussels of trade between the UK and EU in 2025 with the emphasis on reducing red tape and ease of trade, digital borders ect, who ever is in power will clam a victory for small business including Brussels just a reminder we Have a free trade deal with no tariffs or quotas agreement with the EU,, the same as pan Pacific a car build in the UK can be sold just as easily in peru as in France, this exact same pointless red tape you now complain about discouraged the UK from trade with the rest of the planet when we were part of the EU, outside foreign investment to uk is second highest in Europe, take a look at our new free ports well away from Brussels anti competition rules, creating new jobs, once remoaners British aerospace now investing in a new helicopter factory in UK, look at the investments into British fishing ports just as Brussels demands the Irish government scrap their fleet of trawlers,, yes Ireland should leave the EU, the EU money poring in for the last 20 years has stopped, and now they will be paying back in for enterity, the Irish gdp is false just money passed through on its way to the USA by huge multi national companys for tax avoidance, it costs the equivalent to live in Ireland to living in central London, Poland and hungry will not make the same mistake once the EU billions stops coming in and their hard earned cash is poring into Albania and North Macedonia

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Very clever slogan by labour "making brexit work" the labour party is fully aware that there is a full review with Brussels of trade between the UK and EU in 2025 with the emphasis on reducing red tape and ease of trade, digital borders ect, who ever is in power will clam a victory for small business including Brussels just a reminder we Have a free trade deal with no tariffs or quotas agreement with the EU,, the same as pan Pacific a car build in the UK can be sold just as easily in peru as in France, this exact same pointless red tape you now complain about discouraged the UK from trade with the rest of the planet when we were part of the EU, outside foreign investment to uk is second highest in Europe, take a look at our new free ports well away from Brussels anti competition rules, creating new jobs, once remoaners British aerospace now investing in a new helicopter factory in UK, look at the investments into British fishing ports just as Brussels demands the Irish government scrap their fleet of trawlers,, yes Ireland should leave the EU, the EU money poring in for the last 20 years has stopped, and now they will be paying back in for enterity, the Irish gdp is false just money passed through on its way to the USA by huge multi national companys for tax avoidance, it costs the equivalent to live in Ireland to living in central London, Poland and hungry will not make the same mistake once the EU billions stops coming in and their hard earned cash is poring into Albania and North Macedonia
We had freeports whilst in the EU, so there was no barrier to having them whilst members. In fact, David Cameron closed them.
The new freeports, as you describe them are, going to be havens for money laundering and smuggling.
Investments in fishing ports? Source?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Thunder Bolt has covered your flaw in thinking with regard to free ports and the "free trade deal" we have doesn't cover services - 80% of our economy - which is why London's business is slowly ebbing elsewhere. Most of the rest of your post is just guess work (Hungary/Polan) and baseless nonsense (Ireland)

Apart from that, brilliant work. Very Brexit. :thumbsup:

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
The labour party now supports brexit they want to govern a prosperous free trading nation, even more significantly British industry now supports brexit they see the UKs new position at the cross roads of the worlds two largest trade blocks the EU and Pan Pacific as a fantastic opportunity, so sad that the brexit bores still trying to drag the UK back to the one state EUSSR ruled by the unelected EU commission Politburo,, if you don't like your present government vote them out, you'll never get the opportunity to vote out any member of the Brussels EU commission even if you could name more than one
Bizarre

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

And in English ? :shrug:

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Just got back from a drive around Europe

Left via the Chunnel - passport control at Folkestone - British guy looked at us suspiciously, French guy waved us through.
Drove from France through Belgium and Luxembourg to Germany and then back into France.

Literally the only way we knew that we had crossed "borders", was when the phone company texted about charge rates.
Roads empty and efficient and well maintained.
Visted Alsace and bought some wine from a small vineyard, and as is usual finished it all before we got back!!.
So, visited the website of the producer to see if we could order more.
After a couple of attempts by them to to ship the stuff, I received the following

Hello, I'm sorry but we had to request a different registration number from UK customs and have not received it yet. We are unable to ship your order at this time. The announced delay is 15 days. Apologies once again.

And then a few days later,
Good morning, unfortunately, I am very sorry but we will not be able to ship your order. The constraints are finally too high for sending wine, and as we do it very rarely and everything has changed since we did it last time. There is a good chance the package will return or that there will be huge custom fees.

I know it's first world problems but - Bloody French

Returned via the Chunnel - British Passport control (stern older lady who barked at us), ordered us to wind down windows and asked what was underneath the blankets on the back seat). I was tempted to reply that it was a couple of nice Albanian lads who had asked for a lift, but didn't fancy a strip search!
Back on the M20 and M25 and M1, to potholes and jams and sewerage in rivers, and a Government who think that the pollution needs to get worse and twats who still think Brexit was a good idea.

Makes my heart bleed.....
I travel around Europe fairly regularly - I always have the same feeling when I arrive back home. The UK really is shit compared to most parts of western Europe - and increasingly compares poorly to Eastern Europe. We have sacrificed SO MUCH over the past 7 years, and will continue to do so for many, many years - no doubt long past the days I'm around. I don't feel sorry for myself...but I DO feel an immense sadness for so many millions of people whose lives are blighted by Brexit - especially the younger generation who can no longer opt to move to France or Spain or wherever. The only winners in all this are the charlatans and liars who led us down this path...they have managed to line their own pockets all too easily.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
The sooner we get back to that organisation that has the interests of the people the better………

If only British taxpayers money was helping the French in this way imagine how much prosperous we would all be.

Plus ca change as they say over the water in paradise.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I travel around Europe fairly regularly - I always have the same feeling when I arrive back home. The UK really is shit compared to most parts of western Europe - and increasingly compares poorly to Eastern Europe. We have sacrificed SO MUCH over the past 7 years, and will continue to do so for many, many years - no doubt long past the days I'm around. I don't feel sorry for myself...but I DO feel an immense sadness for so many millions of people whose lives are blighted by Brexit - especially the younger generation who can no longer opt to move to France or Spain or wherever. The only winners in all this are the charlatans and liars who led us down this path...they have managed to line their own pockets all too easily.
The same charlatans and liars who have moved their business to Ireland, or even taken out Irish or French citizenship so they don’t have to suffer with us plebs.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The sooner we get back to that organisation that has the interests of the people the better………

If only British taxpayers money was helping the French in this way imagine how much prosperous we would all be.

And as Brexit proves to be the utter and complete disaster that was always predicted, a couple of 'well we won' and desperate 'but whatabout's' are the sum total from the posters so ardently pushing the Brexit campaign for year after year and how great it would be.

A single benefit way beyond their abilities, It would be hilarious if they had only f***ed over themselves with their naivety and ignorance and not millions of innocent people who never wanted this :down:

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
'I voted for Brexit and heard it wouldn't affect us, now I can't live in my £13k Italian house'

But the best part of the video is one of the comments:

"I didn't think any changes would apply to me, but I voted Brexit because I wanted to inflict the maximum amount of pain, trouble, and inconvenience on other people". Brexit in a nutshell.'

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
'I voted for Brexit and heard it wouldn't affect us, now I can't live in my £13k Italian house'

But the best part of the video is one of the comments:

"I didn't think any changes would apply to me, but I voted Brexit because I wanted to inflict the maximum amount of pain, trouble, and inconvenience on other people". Brexit in a nutshell.'

Truly shocking....

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
IMG_0130.png

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

I must admit, this was my first thought :wink:

So true, but unfortunately for the sad twat (obviously metaphorically speaking), they ripped off the faces of people who weren't stupid enough to vote for Leopard's Eating People's Faces Party and wanted the exact opposite. At least 'this person' deserved it (metaphorically obviously) :dunce:

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Lets not kid ourselves. Brexit was an act of self-harm but it was only made possible by the self-harm inflicted upon ourselves previously.
If we had a democracy which was truly representative and worked in the interests of it citizens, not it's corporations, Brexit is unlikely to have happened but it if did, the impacts would be significantly less.
Years of chronic underinvestment, privatisation and general profiteering to support the wealthy and corporations has left us where we are. Reversing Brexit alone is not enough to solve the problem - albeit it helps. Fundamentally, Radical political change is needed regardless.

...but yes, Brexit is a shitfest.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022

Ugh. We’d had Moe and Larry, so I suppose Curly was bound to show up sometime.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Lets not kid ourselves. Brexit was an act of self-harm but it was only made possible by the self-harm inflicted upon ourselves previously.
If we had a democracy which was truly representative and worked in the interests of it citizens, not it's corporations, Brexit is unlikely to have happened but it if did, the impacts would be significantly less.
Years of chronic underinvestment, privatisation and general profiteering to support the wealthy and corporations has left us where we are. Reversing Brexit alone is not enough to solve the problem - albeit it helps. Fundamentally, Radical political change is needed regardless.

...but yes, Brexit is a shitfest.
^ this

Wokeworrier

Aug 7, 2021
West sussex/travelling
Nobody wants Brexit taz, we’re saddled with it. Nobody of any party wants to talk about it.

Our remaining industry has been bought by Japan and is choosing to list in New York (ARM) or are reconsidering their investments in the U.K. as we are seen as having a short-term reactionary government prone to sudden changes of direction.

E.g. CRH are the world’s largest supplier of building materials, they were primarily listed in London but have chosen to switch their primary listing from London to New York. The vultures are picking over our bones.

Paris, Amsterdam and Dublin are doing brilliantly out of our acts of self harm. Meanwhile the City of London shrinks in importance and influence.

Business values stability and infrastructure highly. We increasingly have neither.

The EU Commission are absolutely elected and sit a single five year term.

You are wilfully ignorant, as well as only sporadically able to find the shift key.

As for naming them, I can name Ursula von Der Leyen and Mairead McGuinness as she’s the commissioner with overall responsibility for Financial Services and financial stability in the EU. However, even if I couldn’t they are there on trust having convinced the EU’s representatives from every member country of their goodwill and competence.

I don’t know your nationality, but clearly you’re not British yourself since you say “if you don’t like your present government vote them out” this intrigues me, I can’t think of many places cheering Brexit on even now. China? Russia? North Korea?

Although it's been tremendous fun reading the days heartfelt contributions and searing political analysis .. :lolol: from the Europhile community on NSC I must highlight one particular nugget of monumental, cretinous, cluelessness in your post ... Ursula von Der Leyen was a failed German defence minister mired in scandal who ended up getting the job after much horse trading behind closed doors to push her candidacy followed by a vote by the European Parliament to endorse the least worse option. She follows in the footsteps of numerous other failed national politicians ending up with cushy jobs in Brussels (see N Kinnock, P Mandelson).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here