Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

Brexit red tape risks winter of empty supermarket shelves, food chiefs warn​

New Brexit red tape on EU imports could push up food prices and see more shortages in the supermarkets, industry bosses fear.

Food sector leaders are worried that port authorities are unprepared for the implementation of a series of checks, including health certifications on some animal, plant and food products from the EU, that are set to be phased in from October 2023 under Boris Johnson’s exit deal with Brussels.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/ukne...n&cvid=101af9fb5d114fecb31a6fd94f4c0de3&ei=21

Still 'Getting Brexit Done' :shootself

Is this like the fearmongering regarding the shortage of petrol a while back, where stocks and delivery to retailers were more than adequate for normal, expected demand, but only because of scaremongering like this, leading to panic buying (rather than their being an actual shortage in the first place) we ended up with large numbers of petrol stations running dry (and price increases too as a result of measures they had to introduce to resove this completely avoidable situation) or how about toilet rolls at the start of the pandemic, same thing and so on.....

The running of stories about shortages prompted changes in buying habits and led to stockpiling, which is what created the shortages, not supply issues which the stories tried to imply existed.

Without that scaremongering, and the change in shopping habits and the panic buying it led to, there wouldn't have been an issue as supply chains, etc would have been more than able to cope with expected demand levels.

Or how about the stories predicting the Uk going into recession? which seems to be avoided when the figures that these scare stories guess at are revealed. Yet stories like a looming recession can have a negative effect on the economy, sucvh as leading companies to put of research and development, to freeze recruiting, etc... and all because of what? someone's guess held up as proof?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Is this like the fearmongering regarding the shortage of petrol a while back, where stocks and delivery to retailers were more than adequate for normal, expected demand, but only because of scaremongering like this, leading to panic buying (rather than their being an actual shortage in the first place) we ended up with large numbers of petrol stations running dry (and price increases too as a result of measures they had to introduce to resove this completely avoidable situation) or how about toilet rolls at the start of the pandemic, same thing and so on.....

The running of stories about shortages prompted changes in buying habits and led to stockpiling, which is what created the shortages, not supply issues which the stories tried to imply existed.

Without that scaremongering, and the change in shopping habits and the panic buying it led to, there wouldn't have been an issue as supply chains, etc would have been more than able to cope with expected demand levels.

Or how about the stories predicting the Uk going into recession? which seems to be avoided when the figures that these scare stories guess at are revealed. Yet stories like a looming recession can have a negative effect on the economy, sucvh as leading companies to put of research and development, to freeze recruiting, etc... and all because of what? someone's guess held up as proof?

No, these are the import controls (remember 'Taking Back Control' ?) which were supposed to be put in place when we left, have now been pushed back 4 times because of the impact on Food inflation and food availability. The ones that Jacob Rees-Mogg has since called 'an act of self harm'.

Incidentally, they are also the ones which had the announcement last month of a further £1 Billion to be spent on infrastructure and systems before they can be implemented.

Britain has set out plans to simplify and speed up post-Brexit border checks after repeated delays that the government previously blamed on the COVID-19 pandemic and then the war in Ukraine. The new model announced on Wednesday will be backed by more than 1 billion pounds ($1.25 billion) in spending

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/po...g-into-uk-be-streamlined-sky-news-2023-04-05/

But you keep your fingers in your ears and keep claiming 'project fear' is causing all these problems, it's worked a treat so far as people sink into the total and utter clusterf*** the British economy has predictably become. Maybe people just need to be more positive :dunce:

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

“Everything I don’t like is scaremongering”

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020

Brexit red tape risks winter of empty supermarket shelves, food chiefs warn​

New Brexit red tape on EU imports could push up food prices and see more shortages in the supermarkets, industry bosses fear.

Food sector leaders are worried that port authorities are unprepared for the implementation of a series of checks, including health certifications on some animal, plant and food products from the EU, that are set to be phased in from October 2023 under Boris Johnson’s exit deal with Brussels.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/ukne...n&cvid=101af9fb5d114fecb31a6fd94f4c0de3&ei=21

Still 'Getting Brexit Done' :shootself
After you wrote that, knowing that you would have got my irony, I was thinking of making a comment along the lines of 'This is just more project fear. It was never about food anyway.'

But I thought that it would come across as too absurd.

Reading gown the comments, I see we've got someone who has actually dismissed an article detailing concerns from our food sector heads, claiming scaremongering.
Truth really is, stranger than fiction.

I see David Davis says we should ignore the cost of Brexit, and get on with it.
I agree. Let's ignore pending food shortages (which will push food inflation even higher than the March figure of 19.1%), AND GET ON WITH IT.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
After you wrote that, knowing that you would have got my irony, I was thinking of making a comment along the lines of 'This is just more project fear. It was never about food anyway.'

Reading gown the comments, I see we've got someone who has actually dismissed an article detailing concerns from our food sector heads, claiming scaremongering.

I agree. Let's ignore pending food shortages (which will push food inflation even higher than the March figure of 19.1%), AND GET ON WITH IT.

If it turned out that @Guy Fawkes was actually a leading light in one of the dodgy hedge funds that made huge profits out of betting against Britain, was paid huge sums by the financial backers of Brexit to keep campaigning to the terminally naïve or was a brilliant political satirist, then we would look pretty silly, wouldn't we.

But the fact that he is posting this level of whataboutery on a football forum Brexit thread would tend to suggest not :wink:

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
If it turned out that @Guy Fawkes was actually a leading light in one of the dodgy hedge funds that made huge profits out of betting against Britain, was paid huge sums by the financial backers of Brexit to keep campaigning to the terminally naïve or was a brilliant political satirist, then we would look pretty silly, wouldn't we.

But the fact that he is posting this level of whataboutery on a football forum Brexit thread would tend to suggest not :wink:
Indeed. Then there's the fact that he decided to call himself Guy Fawkes, The voice of treason. This tells us he sees himself as a bit of a disruptor, suggesting he is not part of any establishment, let alone one that might have made money out of Brexit.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Brilliant article. And very saddening. He’s right, the U.K. is in serious decline and nothing seems able to stop that now.
Starmer has put it into Labour’s manifesto to reverse the decline. Perhaps a coalition with the Lib Dems will give him the excuse to forge much closer ties with Europe.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
There are plenty of examples of Brexit being a shite idea, this isn't one.

Who doesn't check a passport and entry rules?

Comes over as someone trying to blame something else/someone for doing something stupid.
It's a Brexit rule change. Most people will assume their passport is valid if it has eight months remaining - especially if they don't work in the travel industry.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
It's a Brexit rule change. Most people will assume their passport is valid if it has eight months remaining - especially if they don't work in the travel industry.
Not really an excuse, you should be checking, they change all the time.

If he was that excited to see his son you would have thought he would have checked everything was in order?

It's been well advertised to check and would have been advised to check when booking !

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There are plenty of examples of Brexit being a shite idea, this isn't one.

Who doesn't check a passport and entry rules?

Comes over as someone trying to blame something else/someone for doing something stupid.
Bit harsh. As has been said, most would assume a passport with 8 months left is valid.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Bit harsh. As has been said, most would assume a passport with 8 months left is valid.
6 months is what most would assume, another example of Johnson's piss poor TCA he rushed through before Christmas 2019. He didn't care

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Interesting DD says £4000 is a small price to pay for freedom, remember we live in a country where 1 in 4 have less than £100 is savings.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

I never understand why you would assume when it comes to travel? It's not like Brexit is a new thing!

From my own personal experience, this comes up once every 3/4 weeks, people without Estas 4/5 times a day, from that unscientific example, most people are checking.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Not really an excuse, you should be checking, they change all the time.

If he was that excited to see his son you would have thought he would have checked everything was in order?

It's been well advertised to check and would have been advised to check when booking !
You are quite right that people should check the entry rules wherever they go.

But I do find it amusing that you are berating someone for not checking stuff, in a tweet that you yourself introduced to the thread.

It was a woman who wasn't allowed to board the plane, not a man.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
You are quite right that people should check the entry rules wherever they go.

But I do find it amusing that you are berating someone for not checking stuff, in a tweet that you yourself introduced to the thread.

It was a woman who wasn't allowed to board the plane, not a man.
I didn't add the tweet, but you are quite right it is a woman, lucky enough it's a message board and not as important as getting into another country :ROFLMAO:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here