Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
As you know, growing up in the area, Hove was a Conservative stronghold until 1997. Middle-class families, and retired people. Brighton and Hove now attracts a different type of person, arty-farty liberal types, students, amongst others. So many of the older people on here, real Brightonians and Hovites, may well be Leavers, but we're outnumbered by Remainers.

In my opinion it's a shame that this city is going that way, and with the number of students it attracts, I can't see it ever returning.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I was born in Brighton and brought up in Hove. Hove was true blue Tory, full of old ladies with blue rinses and dogshit. Brighton though? Brighton has been full of students, weirdos, arty and theatre types, alcoholics, gay couples who can actually live together without being abused, elderly gents in eyepatches or outlandish hats and general n'eer do wells since I took my first breath.

It's why I stayed :)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
In my opinion it's a shame that this city is going that way, and with the number of students it attracts, I can't see it ever returning.

Actually, reading that back, it seems you're advocating that young people don't bother with further education and that way everyone can think just like you. Quite sinister really.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I hardly think you can complain about the Brexiteer being in the minority.

You seem to have got the wrong end of the stick here. Nobody did complain about Leavers being in a minority on NSC. The poll very clearly shows that a large majority of NSCers favoured remaining in the EU. Fair enough - everybody knew that, and no-one on the leave side complained about it. The abuse that was handed out by the majority to the minority on here though - that was something else altogether.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
You seem to have got the wrong end of the stick here. Nobody did complain about Leavers being in a minority on NSC. The poll very clearly shows that a large majority of NSCers favoured remaining in the EU. Fair enough - everybody knew that, and no-one on the leave side complained about it. The abuse that was handed out by the majority to the minority on here though - that was something else altogether.

To be fair this thread has been an absolute shitfest on both sides on numerous occaisions. It got to the point where it was a choice of banning everyone or just letting people crack on in the NSC equivalent of a Loony Bin - and yes, I know I make the odd visit to Padded Cellsville myself.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I am not one to rub it in people's noses in it, but when posters are scraping their bottom lips on the tarmac in a sulky like fashion, and they don't take it on the chin, it does grind a bit.

The brexiteer was without doubt in the minority on this board, and we were nothing short of abused for 3+ years from every angle going.

If people keep digging at us rather than getting on with us, I am sure we could all ramp it up a gear, after the provocation we received.

You seem a sensible chap, you drink a decent stout, and as a mod, perhaps you could be the voice of reason???

I think this is rather naïve.

1. Many of us thought that Brexit would be somewhere between a disaster and a net minus.

2. No hard evidence has as yet been presented to make this forecast any less likely.

3. In a democracy (which we all value) we have the right to articulate opinion, especially if it is done reasonably.

4. Do you seriously believe that had the referendum gone the other way, Mr Farage, the ERG and all the other Euro-phobes would have simply said. 'well we know when we are beaten, so let's really get behind the EU and its relationship with the UK, and give it a chance'?

Of course there are those on this thread who will be quick t point at the problems that we as a country are going to have to overcome. Partly that will be a function of a rather annoying - if entirely understandable - 'I told you so' impulse. But please don't forget, we too (the 16 million +) have to live with the consequences of the vote and might be expected to point out the bad stuff it will bring with it.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
It's actually a bit like winning a the opening match of the season 1-0 with an untried manager and completely new set of players. The winners and losers at the end of the season won't be anywhere near the same and no one knows what will happen, though large parts of it are fairly predictable.

When the real winners and losers emerge in a couple of years you can bet your bottom dollar that any worse off Brexiteers will be blaming this bill for not being Brexity enough instead of taking a long hard look at themselves. I hope any Remainers who do ok are civil to them.

Why would they be civil, they’ve failed to be up to this point?
It’s Just been a sh!t load of abuse and name calling across the board for anyone with a different view point, same with the election.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Actually, reading that back, it seems you're advocating that young people don't bother with further education and that way everyone can think just like you. Quite sinister really.

How dare they LEARN and try to improve themselves. Down the mines with them, say I!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
To be fair this thread has been an absolute shitfest on both sides on numerous occaisions. It got to the point where it was a choice of banning everyone or just letting people crack on in the NSC equivalent of a Loony Bin - and yes, I know I make the odd visit to Padded Cellsville myself.

To be fair, the abuse was far more one way than you seem to want to pretend. Face it, if a number of NSCers, over a period of three and a half years, regularly posted on here that you were thick as shit, racist ..... and gammon (a more recent addition to the rhetoric), you would feel abused. Of course, as a mod, you could have just banned them. But for the abused minority, there was no such redress.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
I meant how the demographics have changed, caused partly by a huge influx of students.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

That's a bit myopic. Care to explain the phrase 'remoaners' that's been bandied around so much.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I was born in Brighton and brought up in Hove. Hove was true blue Tory, full of old ladies with blue rinses and dogshit. Brighton though? Brighton has been full of students, weirdos, arty and theatre types, alcoholics, gay couples who can actually live together without being abused, elderly gents in eyepatches or outlandish hats and general n'eer do wells since I took my first breath.

It's why I stayed :)

But you played it safe and moved to Portslade [emoji23][emoji23]

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That's a bit myopic. Care to explain the phrase 'remoaners' that's been bandied around so much.

Not myopic at all. Yes, it has been used, but not so much lately as many leavers gave up on this thread, or at least paid it fewer and fewer visits in the face of some pretty vitriolic abuse. But if you could be a little less myopic for a minute, you would realise that most remainers on here are actually moaning about Brexit! They are not happy about it! So, 'remoaners' is not totally inaccurate - certainly less inaccurate - and a lot less offensive - than 'racist'.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
To be fair, the abuse was far more one way than you seem to want to pretend. Face it, if a number of NSCers, over a period of three and a half years, regularly posted on here that you were thick as shit, racist ..... and gammon (a more recent addition to the rhetoric), you would feel abused. Of course, as a mod, you could have just banned them. But for the abused minority, there was no such redress.
Quite.

Apart from PPF, who is a wind-up merchant, I'd like to know how Leavers have been abusive.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
But you played it safe and moved to Portslade [emoji23][emoji23]

Last time I looked Portslade was part of the City of Brighton and Hove. 10 min train ride into town and it avoids some of the awful riffraff who’ve moved into the Preston Park area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 2719

I think this is rather naïve.

1. Many of us thought that Brexit would be somewhere between a disaster and a net minus. I get that you lack faith in us as a nation and that we have zero backbone to govern ourselves

2. No hard evidence has as yet been presented to make this forecast any less likely. Hard evidence, either way, can not ever be produced until, say 5 years

3. In a democracy (which we all value) we have the right to articulate opinion, especially if it is done reasonably.I think most Brexiteers respected your opinion, but the far left had an insecure and toxic way about what they said, to try to convert others

4. Do you seriously believe that had the referendum gone the other way, Mr Farage, the ERG and all the other Euro-phobes would have simply said. 'well we know when we are beaten, so let's really get behind the EU and its relationship with the UK, and give it a chance'? Yes I do, it's a democracy and the centre-right appear to take smacks on the chin without the need to scream

Of course there are those on this thread who will be quick t point at the problems that we as a country are going to have to overcome. Partly that will be a function of a rather annoying - if entirely understandable - 'I told you so' impulse. But please don't forget, we too (the 16 million +) have to live with the consequences of the vote and might be expected to point out the bad stuff it will bring with it.Please come back and re-look at how the country has performed after 5 years, this is a long term project. If the remainers start backing the country and think about where they spend their money, we can all help.

I hope that the handful that was consistently spouting that stuff out, take a step back now and re-evaluate, as they may not be as nicer person as they thought they were.

Jan 30, 2008
it's all come home to roost for the undemocratic loons on here , must be painful stuff seeing democracy being enacted ,onward and upward the electorate have spoken

regards
DF

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I hope that the handful that was consistently spouting that stuff out, take a step back now and re-evaluate, as they may not be as nicer person as they thought they were.

Farage told the Mirror: “In a 52-48 referendum this would be unfinished business by a long way. If the remain campaign win two-thirds to one-third that ends it.” Undemocratic loon or what?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here